Swimming in La Manche

One of my greatest achievements this summer was swimming in La Manche as it’s known in France, or the English Channel as it’s known in England. Surely the locals on both sides think that this can hardly be called an achievement. But lets not forget that I was born on the island of Borneo, where the overall weather is much better indeed. So swimming in La Manche is something for me.

And besides, it’s not as if I swam across it or anything. I must have only done about 100 meters when a lifeguard very bossily came along in a launch and indicated that I should go back to the shore… I had already been warned that they do that to everyone anyway.

Le Touquet kites

I had never visited this part of France in the summer. I had only been during the grey, wet, freezing wintertime. There was no way you could imagine that in summer the weather would be nowhere near good enough to try and stick more than just a toe into the sea. I was lucky to catch a few days of nice weather now. I made the grand total of 4 swimming sessions, during one of which one morning the water was very cold, it must have only been about 18ºC. And I loved it! There is something very invigorating about the air and the sea there.

What did you do that you are proud of this summer?

The photos were taken in the beautiful coastal town of Northern France called Le Touquet.

1. pianolearner 2013-08-30 at 17:43

You are brave, the channel is never very warm!

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:24

I always imagined that I would be too chicken to actually go in. Now I know I love it 🙂

1. pianolearner 2013-09-01 at 19:14

I once used to go to festivals in Devon, we always got there in the middle of the night, but as soon as the sun started to come up I would make a point of diving in the sea. Makes you remember you are alive!

2. dalo2013 2013-08-30 at 21:09

Wonderful post. My first visit to France, I was in Biarritz and it was stormy but my goal was to swim in the Atlantic ~ got to the water’s edge before a lifeguard came sprinting down and asking me if I was crazy and that I could not swim in that surf… There is something nice about water and the ocean.

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:26

Hahaha it must be a French thing this business of lifeguards not wanting people to swim. It sounds like it must be really cold there too!

3. apartmentwife 2013-08-30 at 22:13

hm. good question — i suppose i’m most proud of asking my neighbor to dinner. the two of us became friends, invited another girl new to the city to join us, and now the 3 of us bounce around together most every day 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:27

That’s really nice of you. Sometimes you’re afraid of approaching neighbours in case of bothering them or something, but I’m glad you’ve made lovely friends through that xx

4. johnnysenough hepburn 2013-08-30 at 23:55

It’s quite a long way to the UK from Le Touquet! Sorry, couldn’t resist the alliteration. It’s closer from Calais. As Dover to Calais is usually the route that people swim – I wouldn’t 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:29

Actually we drove up the coast towards Calais to Boulogne, the part where its supposed to be closest to the UK. They say that on a sunny day you can just see the UK. Unfortunately it was overcast that day and I was trying the best I could to IMAGINE I was seeing the UK…

5. glynwinchester 2013-08-31 at 02:24

Congratulations! I was brought up in the warm waters of the Texas Gulf coast but have now lived between the English Channel and the wild Atlantic for 23 years. This fine, amazing, and yes, sometimes hot summer, I have swum in the sea numerous times in just my bikini! This is quite something! I love it! The sea makes me feel alive!

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:31

Hi!I swam just in my bikini too! I’m glad you’ve done it numerous time, and I agree it does make you feel so alive 🙂

6. Shira 2013-08-31 at 04:39

I love the second photo, I can fee that I was there too. The waves 😀

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:32

Hi Shira! I’m glad you like it 🙂

7. David Bennett 2013-08-31 at 13:10

Ah, the English Channel, the Sleeve, the bit that keeps Brits from enjoying the Continent. Love it.

1. Sofia 2013-08-31 at 17:33

Haha, and the French think why must it be called the ENGLISH channel 😉

8. Bams Triwoko 2013-08-31 at 18:11

Nice post for Weekly Photo Challenge: Sea… 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-01 at 22:50

Why thank you!

9. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-09-01 at 02:20

This summer I renewed my friendship with a lovely young woman, daughter of a first cousin, who I call a niece–and she is an awesome young woman. And through your lovely mother Lilik I met you! Thanks for your wonderful ramblings on this blog! The first time I swam in an ocean was in 1962 and it was the Pacific Ocean in California. Brrrr! And the last time I swam in an ocean it was in 2004, in the Atlantic Ocean, Costa de la Luz in WONDERFUL Spain…ah, the warm water lapping, lapping at my feet, calling me, calling me…

1. Sofia 2013-09-01 at 22:53

Thats so nice to remaintain contact with someone you love.
      I’ve just come back from my parents (so I just swam in the same Atlantic ocean as you did) and my mum sends you lots of love 🙂 I’m also very glad that you enjoy my ramblings 🙂