The Great Guacamole

Who can resist a good homemade guacamole? I certainly can’t.

One day I was commenting with Johnny from Feed the Piglet about the fact that the British very badly marketed mushy peas, simply because of the word mushy. It just doesn’t sound good. It sounds too wet, drap and unappealing. Actually, during the years I lived in the UK, I don’t recall having ever tried mushy peas. I may be missing out on something amazing.

The Mexicans, however, cleverly named their mushy avocado dish as guacamole. Guacamole seems to have been invented during the Aztec empire and was then called ahuaca-mulli which means avocado mixture or avocado sauce. They also added a series of other ingredients to make it more attractive to the taste.

This is my recipe for guacamole. This particular one was quite big because, even though it was just an aperitif to nibble at while cooking, we were 3 hungry men that are big eaters, plus myself. I also eat a lot. For this guacamole I used four avocados. However you can use less and also less amount of the other ingredients. I left out some of the avocados from the group photo, and the shallot too (because I forgot about the poor shallot at that moment).

Ingredients for guacamole

4 avocados – peeled, seeded and cut into pieces

1 tomato – chopped into pieces

1 clove garlic – peeled and cut into tiny pieces

2 shallots – peeled and chopped into small pieces

1 small handful coriander – (also called cilantro) washed and chopped into small pieces

1 lime – juiced

salt

black pepper

1 small chili – optional (I forgot to add it this time)

Simply add all the ingredients into a big bowl and mush them all together with a fork.

Making homemade guacamole

Note:

• I terribly misjudged the size of my bowl. The reason why I forgot the chili was that I was heavily concentrating on mixing it right there. Silly? Yes.
  • My mum recently told me that a Mexican friend of hers advises to keep the avocado skins if the guacamole won’t be eaten immediately, and to store it in the fridge using the avocado skin as a cover. That way it retains all of the flavour naturally.

Guacamole delicious mexican avocado sauce

If you have any special guacamole tips, I would love to hear about them.

1. dalo2013 2013-09-06 at 18:06

Wonderful photos…agree the name guacamole works. Did not like avocados when I first tried guac, but had to it as the name was pretty cool 🙂

Your photos makes me crave some right now…it looks so good & healthy. Cheers, and have a nice weekend!

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:41

Hey thanks! So that means you like avocados now?
      Have a nice weekend you too 🙂

1. dalo2013 2013-09-08 at 00:20

Love avocados now… 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:42

Oh I”m glad you did 🙂

2. billieraspberry 2013-09-06 at 19:10

Yum, it looks delicious! This is pretty much how I make my guacamole! Except I add 1 lime per avocado used 🙂 But I’m a big fan of lime, I use it with most meals!

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:42

One day I’ll try it your way 🙂

3. Sunny 2013-09-06 at 19:34

Ahh so yum! Kinda need to make some this weekend now!

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:42

Go ahead Sunny!

4. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-09-06 at 19:58

Here is how I do my guacamole–mash 1 or 2 avocados in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, take out the totopos (tortilla chips) and dig in–voilà! Simple as that. Here on the Texas border, people like to add lime juice and onions and tomatoes…but not me…

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:44

Ah that sounds simple and quick. I’ll be doing that when I don’t have much time. xx

5. apartmentwife 2013-09-06 at 21:25

we made homemade guacamole for girls’ night yesterday, and we put it over sliced baked potatoes. so delicious!

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:44

Sounds good and fun! xx

6. Saskia (1=2) 2013-09-06 at 23:04

Oh bug YUM. We love guacamole and yours sound beautiful. I love your photo of the over-flowing bowl of deliciousness. My only tip is to keep the avocado stone. If you pop it back into an unused avocado half, with a few sprinkles of lemon juice, it prevents discoloration.

7. Saskia (1=2) 2013-09-06 at 23:05

Um, I meant BIG yum, not bug yum which sounds a bit creepy.

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:45

Good idea! Haha I guessed so. We don’t really want a bug 😉

8. johnnysenough hepburn 2013-09-06 at 23:38

Good tip about covering the guac with the empty avocadao shells. Although mine never lasts long enough to store it!
    – Thanks for the mention, btw 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:46

No prblm! Actually mine never last long enough to need to store either 🙂

9. Jess 2013-09-07 at 03:12

i’ve never heard that avacado skin tip! does it really work? i’ve always heard you should drizzle lemon juice (or lime) over the top to prevent browning

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:48

Yeah lemon juice should do that. xx

10. Lily @ChloeAsh 2013-09-07 at 07:01

Oh I need to try that! Is it possible to take out the coriander though? That smell… *shudder*. I have to try this recipe… and perhaps be really really stingy on the coriander >_<

1. Sofia 2013-09-07 at 10:33

Hi Lily! SUre you can leave out the coriander. Actually normally I don’t usually use it but when I was buying all the avocados the lady in the fruit shop suggested some fresh coriander because she guessed I was making a guacamole. I did like it though 🙂