My Mum's Spring Rolls

My mum never tires of making the most delicious Indonesian spring rolls. They are delightfully crispy on the outside, while the inside usually contains chicken and vegetables.

Making spring rolls, as we can imagine, is quite a long and tedious process. Once all the ingredients are set out, you need to roll them one my one. Then, as my mum says, when we eat, they just disappear all of a sudden, in a matter of minutes. Maybe I should try making them myself, and see how they turn out. I might even discover that its relaxing…

Do you find cooking relaxing?

Thank you Mum!

(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)

1. simplyvegetarian777 2013-09-11 at 13:03

Yumm. We love spring rolls in our family. In fact dumplings and spring rolls 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 20:39

We love dumplings here too 🙂

2. mielle 2013-09-11 at 14:27

yes, if i had all the equipment and time and luxury in the world i’d definitely do a lot of cooking/food preparing! we have i think very similar to that here in the Phils – it’s called lumpia, yum, there’s fried and there’s fresh, which is also very yum.

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 14:34

Its also called lumpia in Indonesia! 🙂

1. mielle 2013-09-11 at 14:37

wiki says it’s of chinese origin and became popular in southeast asia in general. 🙂

2. The Novice Gardener 2013-09-11 at 17:27

Oh, yes, love lumpia! Did you know it’s also called lumpia in the Phillipines? You have a wonderful blog!

3. apartmentwife 2013-09-11 at 14:56

i just learned how to make lettuce wraps, and this will be the perfect accompaniment — and my husband will like it way more. thanks, as always, for the idea 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 20:40

I’d love to see the lettuce wraps.. Are they on your blog?

1. apartmentwife 2013-09-14 at 14:32

no, but i’m thinking i might start posting about food more. perhaps soon 🙂

4. Adrian Lupsa 2013-09-11 at 15:34

It looks so good. I want to try these one day. 😡 Thanks for sharing Sofia!

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 20:40

No problem Adrian!

5. dalo2013 2013-09-11 at 15:53

Those look so good. My mom is an excellent cook as well, and sometimes I wonder how she can spend so much time making something (like with these spring rolls), and then within minutes of being put on the table…they’re quickly gone. But then I see her smile and our happy faces having enjoyed the meal and I understand.

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 20:41

Actually lots of people in the past have said to my: why do you cook if you can buy it? (whatever thing I’m making). Well its just so worth it to see everyone happy!

6. Sunny 2013-09-11 at 19:15

OMG SO MANY SPRING ROLLS!!! So yum! Could you beg your mama for the recipe? 😉

1. Sofia 2013-09-11 at 19:23

These are only a few of them. She usually makes about 100!!! And then freezes some and gives some more to her friends. SHe is also very organized and keeps a tally of how many are left in the freezer haha. I will ask for the recipe 🙂

7. Purely.. Kay 2013-09-11 at 22:14

Wow.. that’s all i really can say is wow. They look absolutely amazing!

1. Sofia 2013-09-12 at 23:18

I’ll tell my mum (ok, no need as she’ll probably read this) But yes, they are so crispy outside while so succulent inside…

8. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-09-12 at 02:26

I find cooking and baking challenging, yet at the same time, relaxing! Especially when you hear the “oohs” and “aahs” of family AND friends…

9. littleblissbook 2013-09-12 at 04:45

I’ve been DYING for some delicious spring rolls. I need to figure out how to make them gluten/wheat free because a life without spring rolls is no life at all.

1. Sofia 2013-09-12 at 23:20

Hi Rahki! Oh dear, you know what, made with rice flour is really good too.
      What you say is like this dumpling restaurant here in Barcelona, their saying is: Life without dumpling is not worth living 🙂

10. Jess 2013-09-12 at 06:25

i do find cooking relaxing. actually the more complicated it is, the more i can get lost in it.
    love spring rolls! maybe i’ll have to try making them sometime- they look GOOD!

1. Sofia 2013-09-12 at 23:21

I’ll have to try too, and you too, then we’ll have to share our results 🙂

1. Jess 2013-09-13 at 03:01

sounds like a plan!

11. eleieleika 2013-09-17 at 11:35

Oh…. I didn’t expect my “lumpias” would appear in your blog, I will prepare the recipe and send it to you, with one condition, you have to try to make it first. I adore your blog ….. un beso.

1. Sofia 2013-09-17 at 23:40

Yes now that I published yours, you need to send me the recipe. Also, Sunny says I should beg you for the recipe 🙂