Scenes from Arcos de la Frontera

Arcos white streets

High up on a hill in the province of Cadiz, Spain, this summer I visited a village called Arcos de la Frontera. It is one of the white villages in Andalusia, known as such because of all its whitewashed walls.

Arcos tile on wall

Many towns and villages in Andalusia are named “something” de la Frontera (meaning: of the Frontier) because historically they were frontier villages with the then Moorish Kingdoms. However, Arcos de la Frontera has roots in history even dating back to evidence of human presence since prehistoric times. It’s maximum occupation was during the Roman Empire, making it an important archeological area today.

In Spanish arcos literally means arch. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but this beautiful town is full of arches.

Arcos white buildings

Arcos streets

Arcos de la Frontera, escenas de arcos

Arcos de la Frontera, Spain

Arcos white walls

Arcos de la frontera

Arcos pot plants

Arcos round window

Arcos old tiles

Arcos los dos patios

Arcos bell tower

Arcos bell

I’m contributing this post to the Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns. When I look back to these photos, I see clean white lines, I see arches, cobblestones, windows, flower arrangements and tiles making gorgeous patterns.

I’ve saved the best photo for last, with the special appearance of my mum peaking out from a ceramic shop to say Hello!

Arcos peeping from shop

Have a wonderful week!

1. Bunny Eats Design 2013-09-23 at 00:30

Isn’t it terrible, I can’t help but feel like it’s so bare (in a good way). No graffiti, billboards, posters lining the streets, no rubbish, not even leaves. It’s like stepping into another time.

1. Sofia 2013-09-24 at 00:15

On hand its a nice change from (dirty in comparison) Barcelona. On the other hand, sometimes travelling makes you feel like you’ve just stepped into another dimension!

2. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-09-23 at 04:16

Thank you, thank you for these gorgeous photos of one of my favorite white villages in Andalucía! And of course, thank you for that special appearance of your mum…what a treat!

1. Sofia 2013-09-24 at 00:16

I thought you’d like it, I’m glad! 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-24 at 00:13

Thank you! I’m sure she’s read your hello 🙂

3. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – From Lines to Patterns | Joe's Musings

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – From Lines to Patterns | Joe's Musings

5. Pingback: Photo Project “52 Bolivian Sundays” [week 38, 'From Lines to Patterns']. | 3rdculturechildren

6. dalo2013 2013-09-23 at 20:30

Beautiful photos Sofia. The lines and angles you shot these at are wonderful, and the ones that really stand out for me are #3, #5, #11 and #13. I really like the contrast with #13 as well as the lines. Have a great week!

1. Sofia 2013-09-24 at 00:16

Hey thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it! Have a great week you too!

7. eleieleika 2013-09-23 at 23:25

coucou….. 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-09-23 at 23:51

Coucou! 🙂

8. Laura Lynn 2013-09-24 at 06:01

So lovely and graceful. What a treat to just sit and look. I came back over and over to see these pictures. It reminds me of my own trip to Spain so many years ago, such wonderful memories. You are really good with that camera!

1. Sofia 2013-09-24 at 15:50

Yes, its very pinteresque!

1. Sofia 2013-09-26 at 19:58

Muchas gracias, es un pueblo muy bonito!

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns | blogagaini

10. Eva 2014-04-28 at 12:57

Very nice pictures from Andalousie! Love it!