Chicken with Queen Claudia Plums and Rosemary

This recipe is a French inspired recipe using greengage plums. Greengage plums in French are called Reine Claude, or Queen Claudia.

But first, a story. My Mexican friend from work and I were discussing today just how uncustomer service-ish most people are around here and how the world would be a nicer place if we were all nice and kind to each other. Then I told her what happened on my way to work this morning. When I was on the underground, a woman came in with her daughter that has Down Syndrome. Her daughter looked like she was a bit angry.

In the next station a young man stepped on. He seemed different to the rest of the half sleepy looking mortals who are terrified of making eye contact with anyone else. He looked sincerely (and innocently) bright and cheerful. He approached the girl and said hello, I hope you have a nice day, would you like to be my friend? The girl didn’t answer and continued to look angry, so her mother explained that she woke up angry this morning which means that today she won’t want to speak to anyone. So he said that it was ok, and have a nice day anyway.

Then he approached me. The station where I had to get off was soon to arrive. He kindly said: I just need to say that you are very pretty. Where are you from? Surprised, I said thank you and that I’m of mixed nationalities. Oh, he said, no wonder I just thought you looked a bit different, have a nice day! Then I hopped off the underground.

Rosemary

My friend from work thought it was cute and we concluded that the world should be quite the opposite way to how it be. We should all be openly cheerful so that only the one grumpy person stands out, instead of the one cheerful person standing out against all the grumpiness.

Now onto my recipe. I got the inspiration for this chicken with Queen Claudia plums and rosemary from my friend Julien from a dinner he made us. Plus, Julien had very kindly gifted me with a rosemary plant so they are my own homegrown rosemary herbs used here.

Chicken with Queen Claudia and Rosemary Recipe

Chicken with Greengage Plums and Rosemary Recipe

Ingredients

500g chicken
1 bunch rosemary
4 Greengage plums – halved, remove the seeds
2 cloves garlic – peeled
1/3 cup white wine
salt
black pepper
olive oil

Preheat the oven to 180ºC.

Arrange all the chicken, greengage plums, rosemary and garlic in a baking dish. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Add a few drops of olive oil and pour the white wine on top. Cook in the oven for about an hour or so, checking that the chicken has completely cooked.

Notes

• I served it with some couscous, which suited this dish wonderfully.
  • I know the plums look a bit burnt here for some reason. They were not in real life. It must be something to do with the lighting in my kitchen.

1. pianolearner 2013-10-03 at 22:50

I love the random acts of kindness thing. I read a blog post recently ( I can’t find it now) where a woman in america paid for a few random peoples frozen yoghurts for them for the joy it brought her.

1. Sofia 2013-10-04 at 20:17

Theres a frozen yogurt shop up my street, she could hang around there 🙂 I know, its so nice when you hear these things.

2. eleieleika 2013-10-04 at 00:08

All people smile in the same language 🙂

A Joy that is shared is a Joy made double.

And I will try the Julien’s chicken dish one of this days. must be delici……. yummy

1. Sofia 2013-10-04 at 20:24

The Julien inspired chicken, but this is Sofia’s chicken 😉 Certainly, people whould smile more.

3. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-10-04 at 02:36

Your chicken looks wonderful, and of course, I love those Spanish “cazuelas”, reminds me of the Mexican “cazuelas.” (The pot you used.) The young man you saw in the underground must be my husband’s twin (give or take a few decades!). My husband, Mr. S, is ALWAYS cheerful, attentive, and looks for something positive to say about ANYBODY. So I am indeed surrounded by this ray of sunshine. And my son, all 33 years of him, is the grumpy one, especially when he first gets up in the morning–not a morning person at all. So there is the other side of the coin. Sigh, the yin and the yang right in my household…of course, it’s even in me!!! (I can be quite cheerful myself, but sometimes I’m biting.) And remember, it is easier to be kind to strangers. Practice kindness with your loved ones FIRST…

1. Sofia 2013-10-04 at 21:42

Oh dear the ying and yang there 🙂 Well it must be a delight to have your husband like that. Im usually cheerful but also sometimes also biting. You’re right Guillermina, practice kindness with your loved ones first. xo

4. laurasmess 2013-10-04 at 12:31

This looks delicious Sofia! I’ve never heard of a Queen Claudia plum but I imagine that this’d taste just as beautiful with any local plums. Love the story too 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-10-04 at 15:24

I only discovered what they were called this year. They are plums which are smaller (about half or two thirds of the size) than normal plums. They are a greenish colour and are sweeter. If there are any should make a photo… Thanks, the underground thing was sweet 🙂

5. Kay / Pure + Complex 2013-10-04 at 19:19

You have certainly enticed me with your chicken. I am in love with these flavors. Delish!

1. Sofia 2013-10-04 at 19:25

Ah, so we have both enticed each today today with chicken.

6. dedy oktavianus pardede 2013-10-11 at 03:13

Looks delicious from a simple ingredients…
    btw, did u wrap the chicken mixture in the oven???

7. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-10-13 at 20:27

What a lovely, simple recipe with great flavors. You cannot go wrong with rosemary, white wine and garlic. Your plums look perfectly caramelized!

1. Sofia 2013-10-13 at 20:39

Thanks Shanna, it was delicious and since then I’ve made tons of similar variations. Last night I was going to do another one and stopped myself for being too repetitive 😉

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-10-17 at 02:44

When you have a delicious, roasted dish – stick with it! There is nothing wrong in repetition if it is beautiful, delicious and enjoyed. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!