Yellow Plum and Fig Jam

We had not run out of homemade jam in the Papaya Pieces household, because I had made some more. This time I used yellow plums with a touch of figs. Oh, and a red apple went in too, just because it was hanging around the kitchen looking like it would like to jump in the jam.

Plum and fig conserve

The more I photograph things, the more I take notice of details I never had thought of before. I’m sure all you photographers can relate with me. This time the fine dusty coating on the plums got me thinking what it might be. As in, just in case it was pesticide. Luckily my Sherlock moment brought me to the fact that it’s a natural wax produced by the fruit itself called epicuticular wax – meaning: wax all around the skin. It’s good when it’s still on the plums because it’s a sign of freshness. Unless you’ve just washed it off that is.

Yellow plum

Yellow Plum and Fig Jam Recipe

9 yellow plums, 5 figs, 1 red apple, 1 lemon, 1 1/2 cups sugar

Wash all of the fruit thoroughly. Peel the apple. Cut all the fruit into pieces. Juice the lemon. Put the fruit pieces and lemon juice in a big saucepan and cook at very low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar after about half an hour. Continue cooking and stirring until it takes on the desired thickened jam consistency.

Note: I was only going to use one cup of sugar, but about half of the plums were still slightly sour, so I added more sugar.

Plum and fig jam recipe

Homemade plum and fig jam

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-06 at 21:51

oh yum!!! This sounds and looks delicious. It reminds me of this fig ice cream I used to get in Australia, I haven’t been able to find anything like it ever since! I think this recipe will be an excellent substitute though! ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Sofia 2013-10-06 at 21:51

Maybe we could put it in the freezer and see what happens…

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-06 at 21:56

I’m gonna give it a shot, I’ll try to make into some sort of popsicle and see what happens!
        You think I would have to change the recipe?

1. Sofia 2013-10-06 at 21:58

I’ve never made ice cream before (so there I have another challenge ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but maybe adding some cream to it?? What do you think? Ok, it would have to be a greater amount of cream and milk and a lesser amount of fruit I think…

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-06 at 22:00

I think you’re right, otherwise it might not freeze properly I suppose… I’ll experiment and report back ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Sofia 2013-10-06 at 21:59

Though for a popsicle, it should be fine as it is… maybe with more water? I’m going to have to start looking at popsicle and ice cream recipes ๐Ÿ™‚

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-06 at 22:04

Yeah! I love frozen sweets, a bit too much for my own good bahaha
            The only “ice cream” I ever made consisted of putting a bowl of mashed bananas with milk in the freezer. It was delicious but perhaps not really an “ice cream recipe” per se :p I did that when I got my wisdom teeth out for the sake of variety, I could only eat that and mashed potatoes!

2. Jess 2013-10-06 at 23:56

I have been making a lot of ice cream! So what you might think about doing is making a custard base and adding a puree of your jam to the custard once it’s cooked. Custard as the base ensures a rich and creamy ice cream. Unless you are going for more of a sorbet, then you would add milk to a puree of your jam i think. I have a handful of ice cream recipes on my blog http://therapybread.com/category/desserts/frozen/
            let me know what you end up making! sounds yummy!

2. Saskia (1=2) 2013-10-06 at 22:03

Can’t resist adding a comment here, even though I don’t know you billieraspberry! Would that be Maggie Beer’s Burnt fig jam, honeycomb and caramel ice cream? If so, that’s one of my favourites too. Maggie is the ice cream queen isn’t she. I reckon a blob of Sofia’s jam and a few chunks of honeycomb stirred into softened ice cream would definitely be worth a crack!

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-06 at 22:05

Yes that’s the one!!! I miss that ice cream so much!
        That’s a great idea Saskia! I’m gonna try that!

1. Saskia (1=2) 2013-10-06 at 22:16

Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚
          Just checked out yours โ€“ so do you!

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:02

I’m so happy you just met each other through here! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:03

Where did you used to live by the way?

1. Sofia 2013-10-16 at 00:19

Oh wow, did you like it? I lived in Perth when I was young!

1. billieraspberry 2013-10-18 at 02:26

I loved Melbourne, even with its crazy weather! ๐Ÿ™‚
            I never went to Perth, always wanted to because it’s such a cool name haha How is it there?

1. Sofia 2013-10-19 at 17:56

It’s well, nice and sort of too perfect in some senses. I’d love to visit Melbourne too one day!

2. Saskia (1=2) 2013-10-06 at 21:58

Yum โ€“ what a lovely combination of fruits. I’ve often wondered about the ghosted white coating on plums โ€“ thanks for clearing it up!

1. Sofia 2013-10-06 at 22:00

It is relief to know that its good, right?

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:03

It does! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Jess 2013-10-06 at 23:57

Sounds delicious! The apple probably helped contribute natural pectin to the mix too, besides flavor!

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:04

It did ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Bunny Eats Design 2013-10-07 at 01:11

This post made me realise, I don’t know anything about figs. I’ve never bought or cooked with one, though I’ve eaten them a couple of times. I can’t even remember seeing them for sale but I may have had my blinkers on. I’ll have to look for them.

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:04

Really? You must look out for fresh ones then tell me what you think.

5. dalo2013 2013-10-07 at 02:35

Yum, there is nothing better than homemade jam…my mother & sisters keep me well stocked. I have never had fig jam, so I hope to try some as your photos and descriptions are wonderful!

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:05

Oh lucky you!

6. Johnnysenough Hepburn 2013-10-07 at 03:19

Looks like you’ve got your jam making down to a t! Jess is right about the apple adding more pectin, apparently. Have to admit that I’m still loving the jams I’ve made so far. Had thought the novelty would wear off. Not yet ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:05

Not worn off here either! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. recetasbonappetit 2013-10-07 at 11:58

Hola!!!!
    Deliciosa mermelada, tiene una pinta estupenda.
    Saludos.

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:06

Gracias! Si, esta llena de sabores ๐Ÿ™‚

8. pianolearner 2013-10-07 at 13:04

That looks lovely jam. I also like the look of the bread. It’s so nice to have great bread to go with it.

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 07:07

True! I love seeing all you guys make bread but I never make it right now because I’m surrounded by amazing homemade bakeries where I live.

9. Laura Lynn 2013-10-08 at 06:15

Wonderful recipe and excellent photography! Always thought that ‘dusty’ look on plums was the same ‘dusty’ look on grapes which is a form of natural yeast. Must look into that. Love the colour do this jam and I have a small fig tree that is just wrapping up for the season. Time to make some jam!

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 06:50

I think it has something to do with yeast to because some websites said so (like with grapes) but most said wax. I’m going to look into it even further. You’re lucky to have a fig tree, yum!

10. Kiss & Make-up 2013-10-08 at 15:38

I like jam! On my bread, in my yoghurt, on my pancakes,… ๐Ÿ™‚ The picture you took just look SO delicious, hmm.

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 23:45

Ah I also put it in my yogurt and pancakes.. and now I have this thing for putting it in yogurt + oats + jam (quite a filling breakfast!)

11. Sunny 2013-10-08 at 23:10

Ahhh this looks so yum! All that bread makes me hungry again LOL

1. Sofia 2013-10-08 at 23:45

Ah, that was the intention ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-10-16 at 19:01

I love the fig seeds in the jam – and the crumbs – it means that the food was eaten! ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice post! I am a huge fan of the fig.

1. Sofia 2013-10-16 at 23:53

I’m glad you like it, and figs too Shanna. Fresh figs are so lovely!

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-10-17 at 02:54

They are a season in and of themselves – I live and die by fresh fig season in the Summer months.