Peach, Scamorza Cheese and Mad Weather

Writing about the weather must be overrated. I’m not going to complain about it. Just the opposite, it’s been nice here.

Just over a month ago I was complaining how the weather was cooling down, which is normal because cool, grey and even wet weather is what is supposed to be happening now in autumn in Barcelona. Well since then it has taken a turn to being similar to spring. It’s lovely for me, but I’m not sure if it’s good for the cycles of nature. A few local observations from my plants are that the basil is still to continuing to live on, the rosemary seems to be deciding whether to wither away or bloom (half the plant is brown, the other is green and flowering), and the cyclamen thinks it’s still summer so it won’t wake up to bloom. If those are small confusions from my plants, imagine how the weather irregularities affect nature on a larger scale.

I said I wasn’t complaining though. On Sunday I went for a swim at the beach. Remember, this is mid October. I don’t think I’ve ever done that here. Though I can also affirm that since I swam in the English Chanel this summer, I’ve taken quite a liking to swimming in cold water.

One of the mind-boggling things (for me anyway) about the Spanish news is how they will often dedicate a whole long section to speaking about the weather, even when it is not that extraordinary – not to be confused at all with the weather report. If it’s raining they’ll go out and interview people who confirm to the reporters that it’s raining. If it’s very cold they’ll go to the snow slopes and tape people playing with the snow. If its hot and sunny they’ll go to the beach and interview people who tell them: yeah I’m here today because there is nice weather. Then they’ll point the camera to the few people in the water. This weekend there were reporters on the beach. They probably focused on Mr. H. and myself and said: there are even swimmers in the sea.

That’s the end of my introduction with the weather, just like with the Spanish news. I thought I’d share a recipe for peach and Scamorza cheese salad because its colours are so gorgeous and summery.

Peach and Skamorza Cheese salad

Peach

Scamorza cheese is a smoked Italian cheese made of cows milk. Its taste is quite mild and its consistency quite smooth. May I add that I have a bit of an adoration going on for smoked cheeses lately.

Skamorza cheese

lettuce

1 peach

1/2 Scamorza cheese

coarse sea salt

balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Wash and cut the lettuce and the peach. Cut the Scamorza cheese into similar shaped pieces as the peach pieces. Arrange the lettuce, peach and Scamorza cheese in a serving dish. Sprinkle some salt. Pour a touch of vinegar and olive oil.

Peach and Skamorza salad

1. littleblissbook 2013-10-23 at 02:54

Ooo I’ve never heard of Scamorza cheese, what’s the flavor and texture like?
    That salad looks as beautiful as it is yummy!

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:09

Its like a mozzarella (the type you put to melt on pizza – not the bufala type), so its like smooth and not too strong, and smoked but in a subtle way. Its nice 🙂

1. littleblissbook 2013-10-24 at 15:40

Oh I like the sound of that, I’ll definitely need to try it! I have a cheese fetish lol

2. apartmentwife 2013-10-23 at 04:55

my husband enjoy watching the weather reports here for the very reason that they make us giggle — the weatherman just kind of looks around and reports what is happening 🙂 that peach/cheese salad looks amazing — i will have to try and find Scamorza 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:13

Haha, yeah even if the weather isn’t THAT interesting at the moment 🙂 If you’re looking for a strong “shocking” flavour, you need a strong and more sour fruit to go with this scamorza cheese. But if you’re looking for a more subtle and comforting, “can accompany anything” kind of taste, this does it nicely. xx

3. Rosa M Lillo 2013-10-23 at 07:38

That salad just looks gorgeous!!! Thanks for introducing the scamorza cheese to this ignorant cheese lover!
    (a good thing about this heat is that at least we can enjoy great salads like this!)
    x

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:14

Hola Rosa! Its funny that I also hadn’t discovered scamorza until recently by accident in a supermarket, and now I see it all over the place!

4. Sunny 2013-10-23 at 11:58

OOO that smoked cheese and peach look so delicious! We’re getting some last sunny days here, or at least that’s what I think. Must go out and enjoy a bit of that later! No swimming in the sea here at this point tho 😉

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:16

Oh you defintely should, once the bad weather starts there…bbrrrr! I know each time I go to Lille in December / January, I flip! And definitely can’t imagine going into the water that cold, even if I had the best wetsuit ever.

5. SJPONeill 2013-10-23 at 12:53

We had that same sort of weird weather heading into our down-under winter this year too…some trees did not shed their leaves until June (normally well into winter) and others didn’t fully shed at all..oddball seasons. Your salad makes my mouth water just looking at your bright colorful photos…

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:17

Thank you! Yes poor plants getting all confused.

6. bakeaffairs 2013-10-23 at 13:33

That salad looks so delicious and beautiful… I have never eaten Scamorza cheese but will give it a try soon.. 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:24

Hi Bridget, its a lovely mild smokey cheese, I hope you get to find some soon!

7. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2013-10-23 at 14:31

Peach and scamorza cheese salad loos DELICIOUS…send me some through the wire, will you? Barcelona’s weather sounds interesting–maybe because of the worldwide warming trend? Hmmmmm…..

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 00:07

I am sure Barcelona’s weather is very interesting for the tourists… xx

8. Johnnysenough Hepburn 2013-10-24 at 03:26

The weather here is spring-like. In fact, some days it’s as warm as summer! Okay, it’s always cold here! Anyway, haven’t had smoked cheese in ages (and don’t know of the scamorza). Sounds so good with the peaches. Hmm, smoked ham I like as well 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 06:45

ITs like a cool summer? 🙂 Its a very smooth flavour with the peaches, if you look for a stronger more shocking taste pick a stronger flavoured type of fruit, or even better: an intense flavoured homemade jam! But it was nice.

9. dalo2013 2013-10-24 at 16:24

Enjoy the weather…nothing better before the inevitable rains come. Agree, swimming in the ocean is the best…although if you like cold water, then the Pacific is for you (always freezing cold). This salad sure looks like a nice summery salad (very nice photo), and it looks delicious as well.

1. Sofia 2013-10-24 at 20:41

Hello! In which part of the Pacific?

1. dalo2013 2013-10-25 at 02:09

At the Oregon Coast mainly, the water is around 14C in the summer…always so cold (currents coming from the north). Also in China, in the small coastal city of Yantai, although the water there is much warmer. 🙂 Hong Kong as well, even though the water is horrible…

1. Sofia 2013-10-25 at 07:00

Oh ok I thought you meant it would be cold there 🙂 I can’t imagine swimming in Hong Kong… When I was 13 I lived in New Caledonia which is in the Pacific but closer to the tropics and I don’t remember the water being very cold. Maybe its becauase what I do remember is that there were sea snakes everywhere!

10. pianolearner 2013-10-24 at 18:33

That salad looks lovely. I’ll try hunt out that cheese. I’m sure I saw on the British news about some crazy people in the sea off the coast of Spain in October!. The woman was described as having dark hair, and the guy was described as French looking…… 😉

11. veganmiam.com 2013-10-25 at 02:27

Same here. Buenos Aires is experiencing their Spring season and it’s really cold (around 50s F), and last two weeks was lovely – around high 70s. Crazy drop isn’t it?

1. Sofia 2013-10-25 at 21:32

Considering that it’s supposed to get warmer there, yeah, very crazy!

12. Mabel Kwong 2013-10-25 at 04:16

I love peaches! Looks like you have very juicy ones there! Hope they taste sweet. The weather in Western countries is often more wild compared to countries in Asia. It can be very hot or very cold, or very windy and can be life threatening sometimes. Maybe that’s why so much attention is placed on the weather here 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-10-25 at 21:33

Hi Mabel! The peaches were nice and sweet this year 🙂 Yeah maybe, or maybe they just talk about the weather so much to distract us from the Spanish crisis 😉