Lapin aux Pruneaux Recipe

The first time I ever ate rabbit, well… I don’t actually remember the moment. I must have erased it from my memory. It must certainly have been in Spain and it most probably was in the form of a paella. It definitely made me uneasy because having been brought up in Australia, eating rabbit just didn’t feel right. As from living in Asia, I don’t remember having ever eaten rabbit there…

Now, many years later, I do eat rabbit. Even though I still feel about 5% funny about it, I even cook it. It’s strange how the society we live in, and in which part of the world, often dictates what is acceptable to eat and what not.

This is French recipe called lapin aux pruneaux, which means rabbit with prunes.

1 rabbit

6 prunes

1 onion

2 cloves garlic

1 twig rosemary

1/2 glass white wine

1 tablespoon flour

2 teaspoons butter

1 water water

Prepare by cutting the rabbit in pieces. Peal and chop the onion and garlic.

Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion. Cook for a few minutes. Add the rabbit and garlic. Cook until the rabbit has turned into a more golden colour and the garlic is cooked. Add the prunes, white wine and rosemary. Cook on low heat allowing flavour to mix for few minutes. Dissolve (more or less) the flour in the water. Add to the rest. Cook and stir on low heat for about 10-15 minutes more.

Serve with pasta.

Note: as many traditional French recipes, it can be made with also traditional variations, such as adding carrots or using red wine instead of white wine.

Thank you for visiting!

1. Ash 2013-11-10 at 23:26

I’ve never eaten rabbit before and don’t know how I would feel about it. I know that a lot of Southern/Appalachia people hunt and eat their kills (and probably even out west), but a lot of people don’t. Funny how culture is.

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:21

Yes, culture does play a big role in making us perceive certain foods as acceptable or not. Cheers!

2. Sunny 2013-11-11 at 00:12

Oh yeah, I’ve tried something like this! The thing with me and rabbits is weird. I don’t really like them enough to ever want one as a pet, but at the same time, it does feel a bit strange to eat them. I think it’s the bones and the fact that they are sold with heads here that bother me! I occasionally cook one for the fiance just to shut him up, but I prefer to eat something else 😉

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:22

Yeah I feel the same as you do on this. And they are also sold with heads here. Mr. H. dealt with that part thankfully…

3. Karen 2013-11-11 at 00:15

I have eaten rabbit and enjoy it but I have never cooked it. Your recipe sounds delicious.

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:23

Maybe you could try cooking some one day 🙂

1. Karen 2013-11-11 at 23:42

I definitely will…starting with your recipe. 🙂

4. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-11-11 at 00:42

“… made me uneasy because having been brought up in Australia, eating rabbit just didn’t feel right.” This was so cute and funny, Sofia!

The recipe looks great. Sear, braise, reduce and thicken the pan sauce and use great flavors (I adore rosemary, butter, wine, onion and garlic in unison – works for so many things!). A French trick is to add a little pat of butter to the sauce at the very, very end and stir it in until it melts. It makes the sauce very shiny and velvety.

This dish looks and sounds gorgeous. I bet you rabbit is very tender – and a perfect savory juxtaposition to the sweet, succulent prunes. Oh my, Sofia! Nice work!

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:25

Sorry if I ask a silly question, is it normal to eat rabbit in the States? Thanks Shanna, it was a gorgeous dinner 🙂 xx

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-11-11 at 23:48

Hi, Sofia. Not a silly question in any way, shape or form. Rabbit is VERY hard to find here. You can purchase it in high-end specialty stores – only sometimes. It is available occasionally at very few fine dining restaurants. It is considered a delicacy here! 🙂 Gorgeous dinner – yes! I agree!

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:48

Oh ok, I thought so… PS yes it was accompanied by some wine

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2013-11-11 at 23:56

Hehe. I didn’t want to sound like an “alk-ee” and ask! What did you pair it with?

1. Sofia 2013-11-12 at 20:28

I think with a Ribera del Duero.

5. dalo2013 2013-11-11 at 03:18

This dish looks delicious (nice photo). Rabbit is tender and I enjoy it ~ although do not eat much of it. Your description is pretty accurate “eating rabbit just didn’t feel right.” While hunting rabbit in my younger years, my twin sister was in tears when we brought home dinner 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:28

Thanks! You have a twin sister? How sweet 🙂 Oh dear, actually I don’t know how I’d react if my brother brought back a dinner while hunting. Actually, though my brother doesn’t hunt, he does do archery…

6. apartmentwife 2013-11-11 at 04:25

i’ve never had rabbit either, but i love prunes, and this might just be a dish i could do. i think i might try it with jon’s meat-loving family 🙂

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 22:07

Good luck if you do, I hope they like it! 🙂

7. That other cook... 2013-11-11 at 09:54

i do remember the first time I had rabbit. I was a little kid, and my parents took us to this place, it’s like a german colony in venezuela, colonia tovar, and there it was on the menu at some restaurant, braised rabbit in some wine butter sauce… I loved it. I was probably nine. I knew then that I was a carnivore. I have never cooked rabbit myself though. I have to, your recipe looks too good!

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 23:24

I’m sure it was delicious there, you make it sound fantastic. I hope you try making some then!

8. pianolearner 2013-11-11 at 21:14

My wife really dislikes the smell of raw rabbit (when you first start cooking it) the smell put her right off the finished stew.

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 21:59

I have to admit it did smell strong when I began to cook it. What do you think, do you like it?

1. Sofia 2013-11-11 at 22:10

Thumbs up to you then 🙂

9. Laura Lynn 2013-11-12 at 15:18

I’ve eaten and enjoyed rabbit before, not a twinge of conscious either. A good sustainable entree. Okay, that said. I don’t eat my chickens and they’re a good sustainable entree as well. Also I have a soft spot in my heart for Belgian Giants and I aim to have a couple as pets someday. So I probably won’t be eating rabbit here. I’ve found a store that sells goat though…

1. Sofia 2013-11-12 at 20:35

I eat chicken but I’m sure if I had my won chickens I wouldn’t have the heart to eat them. Their eggs, yes I would. Hey Laura, I’m sure you get plenty of eggs with all your chickens! Hmmm goat, I don’t remember if I’ve had that, but goats cheese, yes!

10. Saskia (1=2) 2013-11-15 at 20:41

Hi Sofia. Yes, being an Aussie there is something about rabbit that always makes me reach for the chicken at the market instead (only one of my local markets actually sells rabbit – it’s really hard to find here). Having said that, your recipe sounds delicious, and not dissimilar to a Moroccan style tagine with the sweetness of the prunes.

1. Sofia 2013-11-15 at 23:22

Yeah,… anyhow you can always making this with chicken! xx

1. Sofia 2013-11-20 at 20:06

Hey yeah this is a great idea for a confit mix!

11. Obsessive nutrition compulsive 2013-11-22 at 20:03

You are totally right about the societal pressures in the type of meat we eat, or out diet for that matter (leading to such an overflow of factory farmed animals nowadays). I think it’s important we have a variety of meats in our diet, or more plant-based would be even better. I’m going back from a vegan diet to including some meat since I feel I do need some of those readily available nutrients as a young adult, but of course veering off from the factory farmed animals into wild animals that sometimes wreck our native habitat.
    Anyway! (sorry for the rant!) Your rabbit stew looks delicious! I’ve been trying to find those invasive little buggers in the supermarkets here in NZ but haven’t had much luck 🙁
    Not sure if you’ll be interested but there’s this American guy who writes books about eating invasive species and recipes, the website’s here: http://jacksonlanders.com/eating-aliens/
    Looking forward to more tips on cooking rabbits! Haha
    -Iz

1. Sofia 2013-11-24 at 21:21

Hi Iz! No problem, it’s great to read rants here 🙂 Wow that is something, I don’t think I’ve heard of someone vegan that has owned up to going back to meat once in a while. I’ll be checkin out your link there. I hope you do try some rabbit. When it’s in a recipe like this one, it’s really good. In Spain they typically have it in paella, and even though I adore paella as such, I think the whole paella tones down the flavour..

1. Obsessive nutrition compulsive 2013-11-25 at 06:29

Hi Sofia,
        The thing is, I never became a vegan because of sentimental or religious reasons.. but more for the inhumaneness in industrialized farming and environmental impact. Still, it was a bit of getting used to eating organic chicken (still prefer chickpeas haha!). But I’d really like to try rabbit! Is the flavour uber strong (like lamb)??
        -Iz