Beginning the New Year

We ended the year in France with a fantastic dinner party, and began the new year still eating through it. Our menu included capon with stuffed mushrooms, foie gras, cooked chestnuts all with plenty of champagne and wine.

Cooking the capon end of 2013

Cooked chestnuts

Pouring pink champagne

Pink champagne

Foie gras

Our friend Julien spent the night with us (it’s so great to see you again Julien!) and was our official chef. I was his helper and official photographer. As usual I learnt new culinary ideas through him.

Julien end of year 2013

Stuffing mushrooms

Cooking stuffed mushrooms

Stuffed mushrooms with onion

Finger foods end of year party 2013

Mr Snowman candle

Setting the table end of year dinner 2013

Arranging bread

As we are beginning a new year, I thought I might state some of my new year resolutions. They are easy and achievable. Ok, my approach is that it’s more like a to do list:

• Complete learning the following classical piano pieces: Berceuse and a Posthumous Waltz by Chopin, Impromptus Opus 90 no. 1 and no. 2 by Schubert. Once I finish those I already have some more pieces in mind.
  • Try and play some non-classical music pieces on the piano. My first challenge, that I miserably failed at last year, will be My Baby Just Cares for Me.
  • French: improve (or, ahem, perfect) speaking French and cook plenty of French food.
  • Learn some more of my mum’s Indonesian cooking, specifically her spring rolls and lemper.
  • Make more desserts. (Yay!)
  • Make more DIY projects, which I haven’t done in a while. The first will be to knit a scarf.
  • Plant more herbs for my cooking.
  • Swim more laps. Easy.
  • What isn’t easy for me, however, is to go jogging…
  • Remember to smile more!

End of 2013 dinner

I do have some very personal matters I hope to achieve for this year. If I do, I’ll definitely be letting you know.

What do you wish for this year?

Haut Medoc

Capon with stuffed mushrooms

Have a great start to the year!

1. eleieleika 2014-01-02 at 00:26

That was great, big thumb to Julien
    Yes I like those you like to do this year. Knitting, jogging, trying my recipes etc, etc and don’t forget to smile more. Love always.

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 00:42

I told him and he says a big thank you to you! 🙂 Love always.

2. Sunny 2014-01-02 at 00:33

Hey Sofia, looks like you had a great Christmas and end of 2013! Hope 2014 will be a fantastic and fruitful one for you! All that food is making me hungry again. I better go to bed soon 😉

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:45

I hope it will be fruitful too 😉 and for you too Sunny! Hugs!

3. pianolearner 2014-01-02 at 00:34

Jogging is rubbish on the knees, you are much better sticking with swimming 🙂
    I have ‘My baby just cares for me’ too. I love that piece, I’ve yet to tackle it apart from the lovely opening. I can definitely recommend ‘I Wish I knew How it Would feel to be free’ as a completely different type of tune to classical. I’m intrigued about the “very Personal” matters, I wondered if part of Mendelssohn’s Op61 might be involved…..

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:47

Hahaha, I actually had to look up the Op61 🙂 Maybe so. I’ll write to you 🙂
      Oh I agree that jogging is rubbish for the knees 🙂 I think I have I Wish I knew How it Would Feel to be Free in the same book.

4. Julien 2014-01-02 at 01:19

It was a pleasure to share this too short moment with you!

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:47

Hope to see you soon again in Bcn! 🙂

5. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-01-02 at 02:11

Sofia-
    The caviar will haunt my dreams – and your fabulous bottle of red wine. Oh, vino. The bubbly looked great, as well.
    Foie gras? Roast meat? Stuffed mushrooms? What a gorgeous, festive feast with those you care about. I wish you only good things in the New Year. And yes – more laps. That is easy! I love focusing on things I can definitely achieve (and will enjoy!).
    More classical music, for sure.
    xx Shanna

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:49

Oh Shanna, All the French people told me that bottle of wine, even though it was good, was the worse one out of all the ones we drank that night (there were 7 people, so some champagne and wine going around). In my defence it was the best wen bottle photo I made 😉 xx

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-01-06 at 02:37

Oh, gosh… you must have been partaking in some fabulous wine, Sofia! I am so amazed – you are a wine connoisseur. 🙂 Best wishes, Shanna

1. Sofia 2014-01-06 at 18:51

Haha I’m not at all! My French friends are way more so than me 😉 xx

1. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-01-06 at 20:01

The French really know their wines. That is the God’s honest truth! 🙂 Have a great day, Sofia.

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:49

Wishing you a fantastic and delicious year!

6. Kiss & Make-up 2014-01-02 at 09:47

Ooh boy, looks like you had an amazing Christmas dinner! Those stuffed mushrooms look very yum 🙂 Happy New Year!

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:50

Oh they were! They were stuffed with fennel, onions and herbs!

7. Obsessive nutrition compulsive 2014-01-02 at 15:21

Everything looked delicious! I was most tempted by the buttered bread with some (fish eggs??) on top, it looked a bit like caviar, but does it taste similar? They really made me reminisce salty caviar with chopped onions on some boiled egg and crackers… yum… Also, the pate looked delicious too! I have never had a ‘shaped-up’ pate before. But I have eaten freshly made pate which my mum used to make quite often, still warm and creamy from the blender haha. In my opinion, soft and warm is the best way to have pate. Will you be able to share your pate recipe?
    And happy new year! (I am guessing you did the 12 grapes thing)
    Izzy

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:52

Haha no 12 grape thing because I was in France and they don’t do it there. So I should have bad luck this year then 😉 I think the fish eggs do taste similar. Oh the foie was bought, but while I was there I bought a book on terrines and should be attempting to make some pates this year! 🙂

1. Obsessive nutrition compulsive 2014-01-06 at 07:30

That’s a shame! And don’t say that about luck! (I guess I still have that superstitious streak from coming from a Thai background). Were those fish eggs the same as those ones they put on California rolls? What fish eggs are those anyway? I love terrine so much! The one with chicken, some pate I think, wrapped in bacon(not crispy though). I’m yet to try salmon terrine. Pate are super easy to make by the way, you definitely should try!
        Izzy

8. Laura Lynn 2014-01-03 at 05:44

I wish for health, health and health. That’s all. I think your resolution to play “My Baby Just Cares for Me” is wonderful! I love Nina Simone! News looks like it’s getting off to a wonderful start. Bonne Annee!

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 15:53

Laura, I also wish you all the health in the world! I’ll make my resolution to play that for you den stronger as a toast on your behalf, I promise 🙂

9. apartmentwife 2014-01-03 at 07:04

oh sophia, what a wonderful near year – the food looks absolutely amazing, and to be surrounded by friends makes everything just about perfect. love your resolutions (swimming and knitting and piano playing most of all) and look forward to hearing about how they progress on your blog 🙁

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 16:39

Oh yes it was great, and French food is always wonderful! I’ll update on the resolutions through the blog 🙂

10. littleblissbook 2014-01-03 at 15:02

My mouth is watering at all the food!! Happy New Year Sofia!

-Rakhi

1. Sofia 2014-01-04 at 16:39

Oh good, that was the intention 😉 Have a great year Rakhi!

11. Karen 2014-01-05 at 16:13

What a delicious way to celebrate the new year. I like your resolution to smile more as it is infectious and gets everyone smiling. 🙂

12. Dalo 2013 2014-01-06 at 05:16

Looks so wonderful Sofia, what a great way to spend the New Year! Wish you the very best in ’14, and I think you have gotten it started the right way…it all looks so delicious. Look forward to hearing and reading more about your cooking & piano playing. 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-06 at 18:42

I look forward to seeing for of your adventures and photos too! Wishing you all the best and happiness for this year!