Four New Cookbooks, Oh My!

Last time I was in France I got not one but four new cookbooks. Oh my, I must have been very good last year. Yes indeed all four of them are in French, so they should help me in maintaining and improving my French. They have beautiful photos, illustrations, and for a font freak like me, they are like being in font heaven!

Lets have a peak at them. The first three books were bought in a bookshop in Lille, which is reputed to be the biggest bookshop in Europe. However, I still secretly think that the bookshops I used to visit when I lived in Cambridge were a bit bigger.

Terrines by Rodolphe Paquin. This one was suggested to me by Mr. H. as I had recently been expressing a desire to make terrines, and he had read good reviews about it.

Terrines recipes

Pressing terrines

I read all of the introductory and generaI parts of the book when I was in the plane. I must say this book is so elegantly designed and the way everything is explained is so clear. I can’t wait to make my first terrine, though first I need to buy a few utensils I’m lacking of.

Mes Confitures Maison by Minouche Pastier. I selected this one because of my jam making obsession I developed last year of course.

Mes confitures maisons

confitures in the book

It doesn’t have photos, but the book itself is so cute to look at. The last few pages are full of stickers that you can use to put on your jam jars and write their jam names. I thought it was an adorable idea.

Cheesecakes comme à New York by Sophie Dupuis-Gaulier. I chose this cookbook only because I think that cheesecakes are utterly fun. Also because I utterly love eating cheesecakes.

Cheesecakes comme a New York

Cheesecake recipes

Sorry, may I also add that looking through this book is like being in a cheesecake photo and font party.

La cuisine des bistros. This last book was a last minute surprise. We were visiting a friend who is an amazing cook and runs a restaurant. When asked what is her favourite cookbook for very traditional French food, she said this one. Because she had two, she insisted that I have one of the copies, which was very kind. When I flip through it, I can also tell it’s been intensively used.

La cuisine des bistrots

Cassoulet de canard

Now I really have plenty of recipes I must try out…

1. simplyvegetarian777 2014-01-11 at 16:31

It’s always fun to explore new cookbooks.. Look forward to some of your tried recipes from these 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:29

I also look forward to making recipes and sharing with you!

2. Fine Dining at Home (@fdathome) 2014-01-11 at 18:02

I bought a cookbook in Burgundy last year. It certainly helps keep me remembering my French. My favourite would be New York cheesecake book. I love them to bits, but a good one is hard to find.

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:33

I’m sure French cookbooks also help to learn new vocabulary! Do you use your cookbook from Burgundy?

3. pianolearner 2014-01-11 at 18:59

It is interesting to see the food styling is similar to that used in UK books.

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:34

Maybe it has something to do with big editorials? I don’t know!

4. lovinghomemade 2014-01-11 at 20:27

What a great way to keep up your French. Something I should do too!

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:35

Then go ahead, and a great way to make exciting new dishes too! 🙂

5. Sunny 2014-01-11 at 21:02

Nice ones! I got a cookbook for Christmas (from my Belgian parents. They must think I’ve been starving the two of us? LOL). I bought my first Le Creuset pot past weekend, and this reminds me: I should look into a Le Creuset cookbook! I bet there’s a lot I can do with that one 😉

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:36

Haha lets hope you aren’t starving both of you 😉 Really you got a Le Creuset pot? Coincidentally we also got one, down from Mr. H.’s family. I’ve used it a few times already and I love it!

1. Sunny 2014-01-13 at 00:08

Yup and now I just want to slow-roast everything LOL I definitely plan to hand it down as well!

1. Sofia 2014-01-13 at 00:15

Oh yes its so easy to just slow roast with it and not have to look and stir every couple of minutes, so easy. You’ll hand it down, but first make good use of it so that the one you hand it down to will want to make all their favourite foods which are your recipes xx

6. Bunny Eats Design 2014-01-11 at 21:18

Gorgeous! The only books I buy are cook books. Beautiful design and photos always gets me hooked. One day I hope to design a cook book. For someone else but maybe, eventually one day for me too. Great idea on getting French books to improve your French! I hope to eat in France one day. Bucket list item!

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:38

Oh I hope you also design and make your own cookbook too, I’m sure you will. When I see how beautiful they are, I also wish I could make one for me too one day. Oh and I hope you do eat in France, and visit their bakeries, and… and… French food is really fantastic. xx

7. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-01-11 at 22:24

Looks like there is some FUN in your near future, Sofia. 🙂 I, too, love cookbooks! Yours look very special, though – better than the solely American ones available here. Enjoy!

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:40

I’m sure there are some really beautiful ones available there too. I have to say that how they were designed also influenced my choice of which ones to get.. xx

8. eleieleika 2014-01-11 at 23:34

With those books, I imagine that you will spend more time in the kitchen than playing the piano. The “French Cooking book from the Australian Woman’s Weekly” I gave you last summer was also very useful pour moi when I fancied making French Cuisine. Lol 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:39

Well you can always make more cuisine. I can give you the book back if you want, or get you one next time I’m in France,… or you can follow my recipes 😉 lol

9. Johnny Hepburn 2014-01-12 at 04:01

They look fabulous, especially the last one. Must pop into the library and have a look at what is there as I never buy cookery books. Well, I do have two books. Both of which I found.
    Font freak! Oh, and I wouldn’t waste neat gin by using it in a cake! Haha.

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:42

Oui, moi, je suis un font freak. Hey you’re very right, should use neat gin to drink, not putting it in a cake.

10. gotasté 2014-01-12 at 07:48

I regret not getting any when I was in Paris the year before….share more yummy recipes! 🙂 …warmest, danny

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:43

Oh no! Well I when I do share then I’ll photograph the page too so you can see the gorgeous books. Have a great week Danny!

1. gotasté 2014-01-19 at 11:29

There would be awesome. Thank you Sofia!

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:44

Of course you will be! Besos!

11. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-01-12 at 16:31

We KITCHEN GEEKS adore anything related to cookbooks and cooking utensils/gadgets!!!! Cookbooks are just dreamy…and I love your naivete about using the word cheesecake. You do know the other meaning, don’t you?? Hehehehe…

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:45

Haha I don’t know the meaning, shall have to look it up….
      Yes, each time I want more utensils and kitchen stuff. I hardly ever measure, but the day I break down and buy a kitchen measuring scale, then we’ll know I’ve really lost myself to the kitchen geekiness!

1. Sofia 2014-01-12 at 23:46

Actually it is quite cool 😉 Have a lovely week! xx

12. cruzccc 2014-01-15 at 10:17

A disfrutarlos! Seguro que sacarás recetas maravillosas 🙂
    Un besito ;P

13. Marie-Pier | 4 Seasons at Home 2014-01-15 at 15:09

J’adore les livres de recettes, j’en ai une belle collection. Ces 4 livres ont vraiment l’air géniaux!

I took the freedom to write my review in French since your 4 books are in French! 😉

1. Sofia 2014-01-15 at 15:26

Oui, les livres sont vraiment belles et j’espère faire beaucoup des bonnes recettes. Oh you can write to me in French anytime (and correct me too!), I speak better than I write, so I think reading should help. xx

1. Marie-Pier | 4 Seasons at Home 2014-01-15 at 15:42

I improve my English with my cookbooks written in English, so your books should definitely help you with your French! And you’re doing pretty good!

1. Sofia 2014-01-15 at 16:06

Really? I thought you really did not need to improve your English! I’ll take your advice and read the books a lot. Bisous

14. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 18:26

I was always told that you can trust a person with a lot of cookbooks…I think it was because they care about the details (what goes into the food they prepare), and this care shows up in all other parts of their life as well. Foreign cookbooks, I think it would be a great way to improve (or become interested) in a language… 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 18:42

Have you got Chinese cookbooks? Do you speak Chinese? 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 18:45

I was thinking about this when I wrote this… I speak Mandarin, but I do not have any Chinese cookbooks I need to get some. Do you cook any Chinese foods? I think Chinese cooking is so complex…

1. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 18:53

Wow, impressive, Mandarin must be hard, and writing it too. But then you are there so its better for you.
          I think the Chinese food I cook is sort of invented by myself. I think Chinese cooking is complex in the sense that often you have no idea what ingredient/herb/spice they are talking about!

1. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 19:10

Ha, ha…so true! Chinese food has ingredients I have never seen before, and often someone will ask me to give them the name of “it” in English and I just say “I have no idea” and they are always a bit surprised why I do not know the English word… Many vegetables I know the Chinese word, but not the English word as I have never had such veggies in the States. When they ask me for the English name of the vegetable I now just say “green vegetable…” and they understand 🙂

It is a great language, the characters are what got me interested in the language (and the fact that I needed to speak it in order to have a semblance of a normal life during my time there)…

1. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 19:55

Haha sounds familiar. At the end of summer I did a post on an Indonesian dish my mum cooked, ayam penyet. So funny, I had the ingredient list in Indonesian and had no clue what some of the things were and how to translate it. I did the best I could, then my mum started commenting: its wrong! lol, I had to modify the post a few times under her instructions haha.
              I lived in Singapore til I was 5. I remember in preschool learning Chinese, they would shove huge characters under my nose. I don’t remember any of it. So I tip my hat off to you, so complicated! Oh yeah, needing it to help survive is another factor…

1. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 20:13

That is too funny, called out by mom (and why moms are so great!). Singapore is nice, but I think the surrounding countries (esp. Indonesia) are more exciting. You are very lucky to have been exposed to so many languages (multi-lingual people I admire very much)…and to have lived in so many great places. Maybe that is why you admire the different foods of the world so much 🙂

What kind of Chinese food do you cook?

1. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 20:57

My inventions! hehe Things with sticky soya sauces and oyster sauces, dim sum, fried rice, steamed fish, the thing is that I think I fusion it with Indonesian cooking…
                  What about you 🙂

2. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 21:05

Well, not as complex as yours… I boil water and throw in frozen 饺子 dumplings, the most complex part of that is making my soy/chili-pepper/garlic dipping sauce 🙂

Although I do love to fry my spinach/kale/mustard veggies with garlic (and ocassional chicken)…delicious & tasty and also pretty simple dish. Boiled shrimp is also pretty easy (again just prepare the dipping sauce). The very basics for me! Fusion with Indonesian food would be a great mix 🙂

3. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 21:10

Oh I bought frozen dumplings until my mum made homemade ones, so I decided that if she makes them, why not I do it too! OK your diet sounds good 🙂

4. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 21:57

That is good! Nothing better than homemade. I need to learn how to make dumplings…the homemade ones are so much better than frozen. I heard you can buy the outside wrappers (which I would need to do…baby steps for me when it comes to cooking!), so the filling should not be all that complicated. You have inspired me to give it a shot…now just need to find a recipe 🙂

5. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 22:01

I thought you had an authentic dumpling making demonstration already, you posted photos! 😉 Oh yeah, I bye outside wrappers for the moment.. But one day I’ll make them!
                  I have a recipe here. I don’t recommend the green beans. I haven’t posted anymore but I have made more, I recommend adding bacon otherwise its dry. I made some once with pork, bacon and apple (a tad fusion, yes) which were amazing!

6. Dalo 2013 2014-01-16 at 22:09

Ha, ha…yes, I should go learn from the dumpling restaurant in my post (they even make the dough for the wrappers)…but I will not return there until April, so I will give your recipe a try. This will be a good project for me (even though I fear the worst). Would make a good dumpling follow-up post. Any chance you will be in Seattle the next couple months 🙂 I am not very confident in my cooking skills!

7. Sofia 2014-01-16 at 22:51

Ha no I won’t be in Seattle… I do want to make more dumplings so will try and make a post! 🙂

8. Dalo 2013 2014-01-17 at 00:50

Well if not in Seattle, then at least I can look forward to a new dumplings post and then see if I can try to duplicate your success 🙂

15. Saskia (1=2) 2014-01-17 at 21:00

Ohhh, lucky you. I’ve been trying to curb my cookbook obsession – running out of room! There is really nothing nicer than a lovely new cookbook. Still haven’t gone near Kindle or e-books. Can’t beat paper. The Terrine book looks so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you make from it. A cheesecake photo and font party is my idea of a good time!

1. Sofia 2014-01-18 at 17:42

I do have an eReader (the brand is Kobo) but I’ve realised that it’s only for novels and books you want to read from front to back, jumping pages is still not great. Yeah, cookbooks and books with beautiful pictures and fonts still need to be read on paper. I see you’re with me, cheesecakes and fonts: yay!

16. Tala Ghalayini 2014-01-27 at 14:35

so how many languages do u speak again? I could never learn french – something about the pronounciations just doesn’t work with me! haha , congrats on the 4 books! put them to good use, and as always – please share! 😀

1. Sofia 2014-01-27 at 22:28

Haha I fluently speak English, Spanish and Indonesian. I nearly fluently speak French 🙂

17. Amanda 2014-11-21 at 22:17

I love this! I want to buy Mes Confitures maison because it’s so darn cute. 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-21 at 22:33

It doesnt have photos but the fonts and illustrations were so cute thats why I go it 🙂