How to Make Sour-milk

I have often been asked about sour-milk when I have posted cake or muffin recipes. When I started baking cakes, the recipes I found called for sour-milk or buttermilk and I had never seen either of them sold around were I live. So I needed to learn how to make it myself. The great thing is that it’s really simple.

What is the difference between sour-milk (also known as soured milk) and buttermilk? Both can be used interchangeably in a cake recipe. Both terms were also used quite loosely, so I put on my Sherlock hat while I looked through many google entries on the matter and came to the following conclusion:

Sour-milk is the result of adding acid to milk.

Buttermilk has been purposefully cultured with the bacteria that produce lactic acid in the milk.

Adding acidic substances to milk makes it coagulate. The result is a thicker texture and sour taste. They are not milk that has gone off, because that would be full of toxins from the massive amount of microorganisms that has grown in the milk.

So, strictly speaking, I make sour-milk for my recipes. Simply put a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar into one cup of milk. Stir for a few seconds. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Et voilà.

Sour-milk how to make

Oh, yes it will look kind of yellowy and uneven, not lovely, but that is how it’s supposed to turn out.

1. Dalo 2013 2014-01-19 at 01:03

Buttermilk pancakes…that is all I knew about sour-milk, until today 🙂 Thanks!

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:33

Ah I’ve never had them because I’ve never found buttermilk here! Maybe I’ll try with sour milk, or yogurt… or… there are plenty of options if I use my imagination.

2. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-01-19 at 02:34

Yes – lemon/lime or vinegar and milk is such a great trick. It also works with almond or soy milk. Great post, Sofia – very informative and helpful. 🙂 Besos!

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:34

Thanks for your tips! Besos

3. SJPONeill 2014-01-19 at 19:10

Oh, yes!!! You are so very clever! This is a tip that I will use all the time! Thank you!

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:34

You’re welcome! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:34

No problems 🙂

4. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-01-20 at 09:50

No había oído hablar nunca de sour-milk, sí del buttermilk, sour cream o soured cream. Gracias por compartir, guapa! 🙂
    bss

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:36

Uf a ver si ahora voy a tener que investigar sobre el sour cream también.. 😉 besos guapa!

5. Jess 2014-01-20 at 18:16

Thanks for the great recipe and tips! I’ve always wondered how you make homemade buttermilk- will have to try this 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:36

Great, it’s so easy that there’s no need to buy it!

6. apartmentwife 2014-01-20 at 20:54

the post i’ve been waiting for – thank you!

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:37

You’re welcome, I hope you make nice cakes with it 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-01-22 at 18:37

No problem, I hope it helps.

1. Sofia 2014-01-27 at 22:33

Will have to make them with sour milk, I’m usually too sleepy when I make them and just add normal milk hehe

7. Tala Ghalayini 2014-01-27 at 14:43

thanks for this! there’s NEVER any sour milk in Beirut!

1. Sofia 2014-01-27 at 22:33

Same here, NEVER any in Barcelona!