The Nearly Salad

Are our memories blurry? My question has more to do with scientific nature than nostalgia.

You see, I wear glasses. Or to be more specific I wear them when I remember to which is usually when I realise I can’t see properly. I started wearing glasses somewhere in the middle of my university years. One day in class I realised that I couldn’t see what was on the teacher’s slides, however the people sitting me around me could. So I had my eyes checked and yeah, I was a bit short sighted. I have memories of when I got my first glasses and put them on, I saw that the lines of rooftops were nitidly straight, street lights had a geometrical brightness around them, and the moon was clearly outlined in the sky.

I recently realised that my visual memories from when I was younger are all blurry. I don’t know if it’s just that our brain transforms this information into fuzzy images. Or if perhaps I was already short sighted long before I realised I needed glasses. Are your memories nitid?

kumato tomato

The salad recipe I have today brought me thoughts of a nearly guacamole. Let me explain, it has most ingredients of my typical guacamole recipe, with a lesser proportion of avocado and not mushed together like guacamoles are. Upon eating it, Mr. H. declared it tasted nearly like tabbouleh, due to the large quantities of fresh parsley in it. So this is how this salad got its name: the nearly salad. It is nearly guacamole, nearly tabbouleh.

The tomatoes used are a variety called Kumato. They are a darker greener colour to our usual red tomatoes, while the texture is less juicy in a good way, making them more flavoursome.

the nearly salad recipe

The Nearly Salad Recipe

1 avocado, 2 Kumato tomatoes, 1 shallot, 1 handful fresh parsley, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil

Peel, remove the seed and cut the avocado into pieces. Peel and cut the shallot. Wash the tomatoes and parsley. Cut into pieces. Add the lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt and pepper along with a couple of drops of olive oil. Mix everything together.

1. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-02-23 at 22:01

Love the name of this salad … the nearly salad! Ha … maybe you should trademark it! It does look lovely, though …sounds like something that would be easy to throw together to take to work!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-23 at 23:39

Hmm, where do I begin to trademark a salad? 😉 It is very easy and doesn’t have any lettuce or feeble leaves that will go soggy (parsley is pretty resistant) so it would be great for you to take to work.

2. Sunny 2014-02-23 at 22:06

Oh yes, I’m totally trying this soon! This is a parsley-friendly household, and Dr. D can basically eat tomatoes for dessert (yeah he’s a weirdo)!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-23 at 23:42

Oh! Does he have a tomato dessert recipe??
      The fruit and veggie shop near me keeps on giving me fresh parsley for free, which is so convenient to just pop it into all the salads 🙂

1. Sunny 2014-02-23 at 23:55

Nooo that was a joke! I meant he can eat tomatoes any time! Basically we always have tomatoes in the fridge. When he gets bored, he chomps down on one with some salt 😉 Man I wish we’d get parsley for free, but NOTHING EVER comes for free in this country LOL

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-23 at 23:58

😉
          Only parsley comes free here, often in the fish stalls too, but they stuff it next to the fish so it gets smelly and slimy. Oh, and if you’re a regular customer in some restaurants, so are post meal shots, which is nice 🙂

1. Sunny 2014-02-24 at 00:03

Oh Italian restaurants do offer a shot of something here! I guess parsley isn’t consumed to the same extent here. You can find it at the supermarkets (nice and clean but expensive) or Asian shops (you can get a huge bunch for cheap, but there is some cutting and pruning to do).

3. Lisa 2014-02-24 at 02:37

Delicious and incredibly beautiful, Sofia! I love avocado on salad.

4. Dalo 2013 2014-02-24 at 02:50

This salad looks great, and I am so bummed as I just got back from the grocery store…sqw your photo and realized I forgot to buy my avocados… Salad looks great, and I think I can do this recipe 🙂

5. lapetitecasserole 2014-02-24 at 04:10

Avocados are always at the beginning of my grocery shopping list! beautiful colours, they’ve warmed me…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 09:15

Great idea to have them always in the grocery list. I always have some, just in case, they are always useful. xx

6. Mabel Kwong 2014-02-24 at 06:02

I think memories become fuzzy over time. I remember snippets of my childhood, but they aren’t crystal clear pictures in my head…more as you said, fuzzy. Or grainy.

The salad looks lovely! Here in Australia we seem to call guacamole avocado. I had a burrito as a Mexican place and although on the menu it offered “guacamole”, the waitress referred to it as “avocado”. You salad doesn’t have meat. Looks like if I have it for a meal, I’ll need a big serving to keep me full for the next few hours 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 09:13

Thanks for your feedback! It would mean that I probably haven’t been shortsighted all my life 🙂
      Really, they call guacamoles avocados? I think I did a post with the name of the guacamole, it is not Spanish for avocado (the Spanish word is: aguacate) but it’s something from more ancient times… so it’s not like they were calling it under spanish name or anything. No meat, but to be truthful I did make it as a side dish with some meat 🙂

7. Lily @ChloeAsh 2014-02-24 at 07:12

This one looks easy enough for me to try. I can imagine how yummy it is!!

8. Matt 2014-02-24 at 07:34

This looks so colorful and delicious, I could eat it right now! 🙂 love the name too 🙂

9. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-02-24 at 09:45

I know I would love this salad, well, nearly salad; I know I would, so I’m running to the grocer’s to buy some veggies 😉
    I must have been shortsighted too, my memories are all blurry since the beginning of times, but they’re still there. Isn’t it funny when someone you shared a moment with and you have different memories from that moment? Funny…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 23:02

You’re right, it is funny when you share past memories with someone and each remembers different details, or something different altogether. Besos!

10. Sam 2014-02-24 at 10:10

I love the name! It looks delicious. I also wear glasses – shortsighted too – and my memories are admittedly a little out of focus x

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 23:01

Thanks Sam 🙂 You too? According to what I’ve read in the comments, it seems that our memories are bit visually fizzy, even if we are shortsighted xx

11. Priya Kedlaya 2014-02-24 at 14:06

Love your writing Sofia! 🙂 And your cute recipe too! My memories from childhood are more conceptual than actual – and the actual memories are a bit hazy as are recollections of dreams when I wake up the next morning. I doubt that my memories are replays of what I actually saw. .. I think they’re more like replays of my interpretation of what I saw and then stored away in my brain. I know that sounds a bit nonsensical but I think you’ll understand! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 23:03

I understand and I am really happy for your feedback 🙂 Its interesting how we have what are true memories to ourselves but sometimes hazy.. and fuzzy 🙂 Have a lovely week! xx

12. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-02-24 at 14:48

Enjoyed all the comments to your post! To answer your question, Sofia, I found a recipe for a tomato peach jam…I haven’t tried it yet. It’s not really dessert but it sounds sweet and good!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 23:00

Seems interesting Guillermina! Even though I haven’t posted a jam in a while, I did make one last week and will post it soon (not with tomato nor peach though!) Besos amiga!

13. Camilla Kyndesen 2014-02-24 at 19:14

The nearly salad looks delicious, and what a great name.

Thanks for making me look up the meaning of nitid – I’ve learned a new word today 🙂 I can’t help you there, though, because I don’t remember a time when I didn’t wear glasses. They’ve become such a part of me that I resist all suggestions of contact lenses or laser eye surgery 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-24 at 23:06

Oh wow I’m happy I helped you with a new word 🙂 I also resist contact lenses (my eyes get sore on their own so imagine with a foreign object stuck onto them!) and also resist eye laser surgery (am too chicken). xx

14. laurasmess 2014-02-25 at 09:16

Hahaa, this is awesome! The ‘nearly salad’, love it. I’ve tried kumatos, I just like their colour… very beautiful, deep and rich… you could call it the ‘nearly tomato’ as they’re kind-of a cross between tomatillos and tomatoes in my mind! 🙂 Anyway, love this salad recipe. It’s gorgeous, simple and delish. Just what you want when you rush home after work and want a healthy treat. Oh, and the glasses issue? I get you Sofia! I do the same thing xx

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-26 at 00:22

Haha 🙂 I like the taste of kumatos 🙂 Oh you wear glasses too? I’m terrible and forget to put them on, I’m aways warning my friends that if they see me in the street and I don’t wave hello, it’s because I’m seeing the world blurry! xx

1. laurasmess 2014-02-27 at 01:23

Yes, I have some (I’m short sighted) but I hardly ever wear them. Mostly when driving or if I’m at a conference and I need to see projectors etc. I should wear them more. Every time I put them on it’s an amazing revelation of how much detail is in the world!!! Haha, I’m so silly!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-27 at 11:59

Those are the same circumstances when I were mine! 🙂 My sunglasses have prescription lenses so thats really good, it also means that I’ll go indoors and into shops and not take them off, people must think I’m trying to be cool or something, but its just a case of seeing better..

15. dedy oktavianus pardede 2014-02-27 at 07:29

Nope, None give a shit about what the damn thing name actually Sofia….
    The most important thing that it’s pretty damn refreshing and tasty dish!!!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-02-27 at 11:54

Oh yeah, I could remember the taste all day long, which is pretty good for a salad…

16. cruzccc 2014-02-28 at 18:44

Me encanta la ensalada con aguacate, le da un sabor tan rico y especial!
    Genial receta 🙂