Pork Liver, Apple and Calvados Terrine

In French, after a big meal, you are not allowed to say: I’m full. It is rude. I’m stuffed. Mon Dieu! No, that’s horrid, it conjures up the image of a human being all stuffed up like a cushion or a stuffed turkey.

Instead, you should say something along the lines of: thank you very much, it was all tremendously good, however I have had enough and I am now rather satisfied.

I know all that sounds nice and polite. It’s simple for a native speaker but quite mouthful (lol) when you are struggling to learn the language. I myself am somewhere in the middle of the road from I am learning French to I speak French. A year ago I would go all red faced after a meal when I would need to make that whole speech. Now I’ve progressed and can say it in about 6 seconds flat without blinking. And while smiling.

Pork, apple and Calvados Terrine

For the recipe I have here today you wouldn’t need to learn how to say I’ve had enough. Even if it’s just because it’s so rich that you are supposed to only eat a little bit, and will only be served in a small amount anyway. You will probably be left wanting more.

I have made my first terrine, a pork liver, apple and Calvados terrine. Boy was it worth it, even though it took four days to make. See how there is a piece missing? That was because we couldn’t wait to try it before I started making photos.

Homemade pork liver, apple and Calvados Terrine

A terrine is sort of like a pâté. In this case here it has pork liver, apple and Calvados, which is a gorgeous French apple liqueur. I did not follow my terrine recipe book for two silly reasons:

• I forgot to bring my ingredient list when I went to the butcher. Thus I accidentally got more quantity of pork liver in proportion to pork meat with regards to what the original recipe stated.
  • The recipe called for dried apple. For over a week I was unsuccessfully looking for dried apple all over my neighbourhood. As you can imagine, the day after I finished making the terrine, I found a store here that sells dried apples! I used a fresh apple here instead.

Therefore next time I’ll make another pork-Calvados terrine according to my book… Needless to say though, this terrine was superb for a 1st attempt and all those who have tried it are impressed, including the Frenchies around here.

Pork Liver, Apple and Calvados Terrine Recipe

Ingredients (makes a 0,8 litre terrine)

180g pork meat
275g pork liver
200g pork fat (bacon type of consistency)
1 green apple
30ml Calvados
120ml cream
salt
ground black pepper
3gr Espelette pepper

Cut the pork meat, pork liver and pork fat in cubes. Add some salt, black pepper, Espelette pepper and the Calvados. Marinate for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the meats and the apple through a meat grinder in this order: pork liver, apple, pork meat, pork fat. Put it through so that it all falls into a large bowl. Add the cream and mix. Pour the mixture into the terrine dish and put the lid on top. Put the dish in a bain-marie in the oven for 30 minutes with the lid on, then for another 30 minutes with the lid off.

Let it cool then keep it in the fridge for 24-48 hours. I waited the whole 48 hours, and I conclude that this time was necessary. While cooking the terrine, its smell was very strong (hey, there was lots of liver and liqueur in there). The 48 hours fridge time made the terrine compact into itself more, and made the smell a lot more milder with regards to the liver, while bringing out the aromas of the apple more, so now it smells just how it is supposed to be.

Pork Terrine with Apple and Calvados Recipe

Serve with apple cider or a fruity white wine.

It can be kept in the fridge for two weeks. Just put some plastic on it and the lid back on every time it goes back into the fridge.

1. Amanda 2014-03-03 at 21:40

Wow this looks amazing. So worth the effort! I wish I could try some right now. I’m sure you’ve never had a problem being tactful and couth. Even in trying to the the language I’m sure you were just fine! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 07:59

Haha when I was short of vocabulary (and sometimes still am) I’m not sure if I’m being tactful, or if I’m just inventing words 🙂

2. Ngan R. 2014-03-03 at 23:19

I love the politeness of the French language, even though it may seem a mouthful. This terrine looks quite delicious, and I bet it was after all your efforts!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 07:58

Yes, when spoken “traditionally” French is a very polite language, it also provides very polite table manners 🙂 The terrine was delicious, you could have a try if you were nearby! xx

3. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-03-03 at 23:56

A lesson on French etiquette and a delicious terrine! What more can I ask of you, Sofia? Wonderful photos too…

4. Bunny Eats Design 2014-03-04 at 00:26

So polite! I usually eat until I’m so full can barely move. I do enjoy terrine, I wonder how many people have access to a meat grinder though?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 07:55

Hi Genie, I got a meat grinder last week, it was actually really cheap (like buying a very basic hairdryer!). But if I didn’t have it, what I planned to do was tell my butcher to grind it, except for the apple which I would just cut in pieces, and marinate it already grounded..

5. That other cook... 2014-03-04 at 02:19

hey! you finally used your terrine dish! 🙂 sounds really wonderful and I have yet to use calvado in the kitchen. I bet is delicious. If you ever want dehydrated food, like those apples, you could try to slice one up really thinly, and place them over kitchen paper towels on a single layer, and then microwave them in 30 sec intervals, checking and opening the microwave door after every nuke to let the steam out, in a few minutes you should have dry apple slices, or any fruit or vegetable really. Just requires a bit of patience.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 07:51

The slight problem is that I don’t have a microwave… But anyway thank you now I know for whenever I do decide to get one! Calvados is delicious just drinking it on its own, and so you can imagine in food too!

1. That other cook... 2014-03-04 at 08:09

that is a little glitch in my plan, always making assumptions 😉 well, you can still dehydrate anything in the fridge, you do have one right? 🙂 (just takes a lot longer) Im so glad you got to use your terrine dish and enjoy a delicious pate.. are pates and terrine almost the same? I wish I knew the difference.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 08:33

Haha yes I have a fridge. I read you can also dehydrate them in the oven but it takes about 10 hours… I think the difference between pates and terrines is that a terrine doesn’t just have to be liver based, it can be made with other things: fish, vegetables etc

1. That other cook... 2014-03-04 at 08:49

Ah, yes… that makes sense 🙂 and yes, dehydrating in the oven is also a good option! but yes, just like the fridge, it requires a long time, a lot less time too. It’s basically a function of how thin the slices are. Really thins slices will dehydrate even sitting on the counter in a matter of hours

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 08:50

You’re right. I also read this other way of dehydrating which is putting them in a hot car! ha, can you believe it! Ok I don’t have a car (I live in the centre of Bcn, too much of a nightmare to have a car) and even if I did, its winter…

1. That other cook... 2014-03-04 at 08:56

hahaha, I don’t have a car either, but I can see how it could apply in certain hot places. I actually bought a dehydrator a couple of years ago but I have rarely used it. I think I would rather do the oven, it’s quicker, but people that are dehydrating purists would object that the lowest temp in an oven still produce some maillard browning and caramelization and it’s not true dehydrating …. i don’t know.. i like maillard reactions 🙂

6. lapetitecasserole 2014-03-04 at 03:58

mmm I love it! In Florence we have something similar but with chicken liver… so good over a slice of crispy bread!

7. chef mimi 2014-03-04 at 13:46

Looks beautiful! My 85 year old mother still gets mad when she hears Americans announce how stuffed they are!

1. chef mimiMimi 2014-03-04 at 15:29

Very French. But she’s also lived in America since 1954 !

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 15:37

That’s a long time! But it’s lovely that she hasn’t lost that traditional way 🙂

8. Karen 2014-03-04 at 14:27

Your terrine sounds very good with the apples and calvados.

9. Marie-Pier | 4 Seasons at Home 2014-03-04 at 15:11

Ho my gosh your terrine looks so delicious! Can’t wait to see which recipe you’ll try next!

PS: I always say “I’m full” (in French!) after a meal! Haha!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 15:14

How do you say it? Je suis plain! Maybe its fine to say it in Canada 😉
      PS I hope the ceremony in the weekend was beautiful in its way, you know what I mean. hugs

10. Marie-Pier | 4 Seasons at Home 2014-03-04 at 15:29

Yes, exaclty! “Je suis pleine!” Saying this means that you’ve ate everything what was on your plate, so it was very good!

It really was beautiful. Sad, of course, but I was happy to say goodbye to my friend surrounded by all her family and friends. I know she was with us! I came back home with a much lighter heart.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 15:36

that: pleine.
      Oh Marie-Pier, its sad to read that but I’m sure her presence will be with you in many special moments.

11. Dalo 2013 2014-03-04 at 20:21

Wow, that looks so delicious… I am going to try to look for some at the store later this evening! I like how you began the blog, there seems to be so many traditions around meals in France & China (arguably the two finest cuisines in the world). I remember finishing everything on my plate, just to have more things put on (growing up, clearing your plate was good ~ where as in many places it means you are not yet full so they give you more…).

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-04 at 21:17

Let me know if you find something similar! I’m glad you find Chinese cuisine as fine (as is French, very fine indeed), because I know too many people that have said they have been to China and refused to eat anything there – which is something I can’t understand why on earth not.

1. Dalo 2013 2014-03-04 at 21:23

Yes, I agree…and I eat just about everything. Some of the dishes you’d expect to be horrible were actually quite good. The French and chefs from Southern China would get along very well (they can make anything tasty).

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-06 at 11:19

I wouldn’t expect them to be horrible!
          In Spain people especially are very uneasy about Chinese food. Apparently a couple of DECADES ago (geez, that was ages ago) there was some news report about some Chinese that served dog meat. Until now, many Spanish people will still refuse to eat Chinese food because they think that even if they claim it to be beef or pork or whatever, its actually dog meat.
          On the other hand I’d probably want to try so many things if I were in China 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-03-06 at 17:48

You definitely would fit in with China 🙂 It is amazing how seriously they take their food (it is art & culture for them).

In the States, we’ve had the same rumors with Chinese restaurants…whenever someone’s cat was missing the joke was “did you check with the Chinese restaurant…” 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-03-06 at 18:18

I know, when I was very young, my twin and I did worry a little about our cat wandering around 🙂

12. apartmentwife 2014-03-05 at 01:14

ahh sophia, your blog reads like a fun book and i’m always wishing the text would go on and on so i could learn about food and culture and customs with a side of your sweet humor. put back to the terrines — it looks ah-may-zing! you know i could never accomplish this, but perhaps i can find it in a restaurant?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 09:10

You’re so sweet 🙂 This is like a paté, maybe you can find it in the fresh paté section in the shop (not those canned things, burin the section where they cut some).

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 09:09

Yes but the first 24 hours was marinating on its own, and the last 48 hours was the terrine itself just sitting in the fridge… so I didn’t really have to do anything there, apart from holding myself back from trying it 🙂

1. pianolearner 2014-03-05 at 17:26

I guess my bread takes 24 hours too. (I have one doing its first prove at the moment waiting for me for when I get home from work)

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 17:32

I have your split pea recipe too on my list (maybe in a couple of weeks) which it also suggests to leave a few hours or overnight. My goodness we are all becoming accomplished cooks with all these things that take hours and days to do 😉

1. pianolearner 2014-03-06 at 11:06

we just leave the split pea mixture long enough to cool down.

13. Kiss & Make-up 2014-03-05 at 16:47

This is a first, but this looks and sounds really unappetizing to me. Then again, I’m a vegetarian so that’s why most of what is in this makes me cringe, lol… 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 16:49

Oh yeah I can imagine you wouldn’t be pleased if you are vegetarian,… Anyhow, have a nice evening!

1. Kiss & Make-up 2014-03-05 at 16:50

Yah, so it’s me not you, lol 🙂 It may be a bad break up line but in this case it really does apply!

2. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-03-05 at 17:38

This looks outstanding, Sofia. Very appetizing, indeed. Yes, I would be polite and say, in French, “I am quite satisfied, thank you,” as you suggest. After quite a few servings, that is! 😉 Yes, being polite to others is so important! A gorgeous recipe, Sofia. Thank you for sharing your French etiquette and gorgeous calvados terrine with us. xx Shanna

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 17:52

Politeness is very important. When I lived in the UK I was happy to be in a polite environment again (let me explain, and nothing to do with France here I know!) because in Spain people are polite only if they genuinely feel like it, because you are a good friend or something. If not they are outright impolite if they feel like it. And they consider the English to be impolite because they consider them to be falsely polite. I know this may sound confusing haha. The Spanish thinking drives me mad because being normally polite puts everyone in a better mood and makes everyone sincerely polite, and not the opposite. xx

14. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-03-05 at 19:08

WOW!!! I am so impressed that you made this! And you had a lot of patience to wait 4 days for it to be ready. I love pate type things but rarely eat them so I guess it feels like a treat when I do. They are just so richly flavoured and this one with the apples and calvados just sounds divine! I feel like I need to say congratulations, Sofia!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 20:08

Hi Helen, he’s but mostly it was the patience of “waiting”, because the actual “cooking” was not really too long nor difficult.We’ve had it for more than a week now, there is still a little bit less, and I can say it gets a stronger apple flavour as the days go by :). Thanks for you lovely words xx

15. Saskia (1=2) 2014-03-05 at 20:46

Your blog is very inspiring this morning Sofia. Have never made terrine. Good to see you used your beautiful terrine dish! This looks so delicious, and well worth the time investment. So impressed. I imagine a fresh apple would’ve added lovely sweetness and moisture.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-05 at 20:51

Hi Saskia, thanks, I’m very proud of it because Mr. H. is French and so in our trips to France we have tried very good terrines, and this is one is just as good! Now that we’ve invested in the beautiful dish AND the meat grinder (I never imagined that I would one day have a meat grinder) I’ll be making tons of terrines. My piano teacher came for dinner and had some (yes he is a lucky man!!!) and was very impressed, so yeah, great for dinner parties!

16. Michelle 2014-03-06 at 04:05

My mother, though American, was clearly French in a former life as she always forbade such statements! And, indeed satisfait is far preferable to full (or god forbid, the Southern expression of “full as a tick”). What a delicious terrine!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-06 at 11:21

So she must have bought you up with delightful table manners of course! This is a new one for me: full as a tick 🙂