2 Paellas and 9 Greek Men

The title of my post could be good for the title to a comedy film. We recently had a Greek friend visiting for a few days, which is how Mr. H. and I came to arrive for dinner at Can Solé restaurant in Barcelona, with nine Greek men already sitting around the table.

Sorry! They said sorry, you are the only woman having dinner with us tonight.

But I thought, this is awesome! This most likely means that I will be eating fantastically tonight, without having to pretend to be full after munching on half a lettuce leaf.

Can Sole, Barcelona

People that have visited Can Sole, Barcelona

Eat well we did. I was too busy eating to photograph the starters, in which not a single lettuce leaf was involved. Two paellas were ordered. An eleven person sized normal (yellow) paella marinera was ordered, along with a smaller ink squid paella, so that we could try another paella.

The verdict on the food there was that it has a very fine but homemade flavour. I would recommend Can Solé for a good dose of authentic paella.

Paella at Can Sole, Barcelona

Squid Ink Paella at Can Sole Barcelona

The most important thing was that we also had an awesome time. They were such a cheerful and interesting group of friends, so the evening was great fun! I hope to see you all again.

Address: C/ Sant Carles, 4, 08003, Barcelona // Phone: +34 93 221 50 12

(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 00:06

Not overly salty at all! And I’ve made squid ink rice a few times (haven’t made it in years actually) and I’ve never found it too salty.

1. Sunny 2014-03-12 at 00:02

Wow, that looks like a hearty meal! I never pretend to be full though. I eat like a little piggy whoever I am with, even when I was on a date (I say was because there is no use pretending how much I eat in front of Dr. D now hahaha)! I don’t think I’ve had a REALLY good paella. Maybe I just haven’t found a good place!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 00:06

To have a really good paella, one must avoid going into very touristy restaurants above all! Yeah, Mr. H. is glad too that I eat like a piggy, haha. You and I could enjoy a good dinner together then 🙂

1. Sunny 2014-03-12 at 00:08

Oh for sure! So I went to this tapas place with my Belgian siblings last week. I DEFINITELY overdid it there but no regrets!

2. Mabel Kwong 2014-03-12 at 09:53

I absolutely love yellow paella! Though I must say paella is very filling, at least for me. Usually I feel full after eating one and a half bowls of it! There was once I had some chicken paella and I remember it didn’t taste that good. Seafood paella always tastes good, in my opinion. Do you make paella?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 12:52

Mabel hahaha one and a half bowls of any rice to bound to be filling 😉 My opinion is that the seafood one is the best! I don’t make paella myself, for me it’s more like a treat when I go out, so I don’t bother making it myself.

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-03-12 at 13:20

Yes! I’ve never been disappointed with seafood paella. I’ve always thought that the average person ate two bowls of rice 🙂 Because of your paella post, I decided to look up the paella menus of my favourite paella place in Melbourne…and discovered they opened a new, second store near to my place!

3. Nikos Fragoulis 2014-03-12 at 11:11

Well I was between these 9 Greeks. Touristic or not, I ate one of the most tasteful paellas ever!!! As for the “cheerful and interesting group” , I have to say that this is always the case when you put a bunch of Greeks together with a beautiful lady, and over a table with terrific food !

4. pianolearner 2014-03-12 at 11:20

Just seen your comment to Sunny. Mr H says you eat like a piggy? Hehe. Me and wellywoman both eat massive food portions compared to others, even though we are both slim, I’m not sure where it all goes.
    I too have never had an authentic paella in my life. Shame on me!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 12:43

Hi haha, yeah, we are slim too, we think it away (thinking uses up lots of energy) and exercise it away too!
      Not had an authentic paella, really? That should have to be remedied…

5. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-03-12 at 16:45

This looks amazingly tasty – and fun – Sofia. I don’t like to munch on lettuce when I can have my favorite dish: PAELLA! 🙂

6. Laura Lynn 2014-03-12 at 18:50

Paella is one of my favorite foods. I had a neighbor who made it every single July 4th and it was brilliant!. He did it outside over a low slow fire. Alas he moved away to California and I really should have paid more attention to what Matt was doing. I could have made it myself with a little practice. And a pan the size of a truck tire!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 23:40

But more importantly, where you invited to eat it too? I used to live (in the UK) with friends from Valencia who would make it nearly every weekend over an open slow fire too, it’s amazing how it turns out like that don’t you think?

7. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-03-12 at 18:56

Ese restaurante parece una visita obligada. Me encantan los platos de paella en los que combinan dos sabores; así no tienes que elegir 😉
    Un beso!

8. Amanda 2014-03-12 at 19:57

Que envidia! Jajaja re finjir estar lleno después de una pieza de lechuga. Me encanta la paella…negra, Valencia, lo que quieras! P.S. Tengo mi eleccion para la cena de tofu. Voy a hacerlo este fin de semana. Besos!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 23:27

Hola Amanda! Jeje si, con alguna amiga he tenido que fingir estar llena después de nada 🙁 Has probado la paella negra también? Me alegro mucho que ya tengas tu elección para tofu 🙂 Lo diré a Shanna, os pondré en copia en una email conjunto. Besos!

9. Dalo 2013 2014-03-12 at 20:30

Fun night, and fun photography… I love the B&W, and also again see a squid-ink dish, I am now curious 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-12 at 23:25

Why thanks Randy, you see the lighting in there was pretty awful (for photography) and I wasn’t sure what to do… I used to make squid ink rice and haven’t done it in ages! I think I’ll make some soon 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-03-13 at 00:29

Sounds good, just let me know when, and I’ll be right over. 🙂

10. dedy oktavianus pardede 2014-03-12 at 23:36

You know, indonesian can tke two rice dishes in one dinning even the flavour is very contrast….
    sorry to say that Sofia, but i think i must be choose the negro paella ones

11. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-03-13 at 04:43

Ah, yes, to be surrounded by nine men, and Greek men at that! And two types of paella, good for you to enjoy it heartily! All of it, the food and the company of men!!!

12. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-03-13 at 04:44

Como se dice en México, “bendito entre las mujeres”–tú fuiste “bendita entre los hombres”!

13. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-03-13 at 06:47

The title of this post drew my attention obviously, Sofia! That paella looks awesome!

14. cruzccc 2014-03-13 at 11:01

Menuda pinta tiene esa paella, mmmm!!!

15. davegon 2014-03-16 at 23:14

I’ve never seen the squid ink version, but it looks really tasty, too!