Tofu with Curry {T for Tofu}

It’s time for our monthly ingredient challenge again! This month it’s T and we have chosen tofu. This month Shanna and I are delighted to welcome Amanda from What’s Cooking and Liz from food for fun to join us in our ingredient challenge.

I live nearby to a vegetarian Indian restaurant. It is reputed to be the best Indian restaurant in Barcelona, not for the decoration but for the food itself – which is supposed the be the most important thing in a restaurant, right? Even though I have not dined in all the Indian restaurants in Barcelona, it really is good and I’ll gladly agree to the opinion of it being the best.

Every time I walk past this restaurant, I receive the most beautiful curry and spicy aromas ever. These aromas have been teasing me lately and making me crave curries lately – so do expect some other curry recipe sooner or later – and inspired me to make this tofu with curry recipe.

Curry Tofu

500g hard tofu, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1 clove garlic, salt, black pepper, 3/4 cup coconut cream, chili flakes, sesame seeds, 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil

Peel and chop the garlic. Heat the sesame oil in a wok. Fry the garlic for about 1 minute or less if it seems like it will burn. Add the curry, cumin, coconut milk and chili flakes. Cook for about 1 minute. Add the tofu, cut into cubes. Cook for about 4 – 5 minutes, trying not to stir too much so that the tofu doesn’t disintegrate.

Serve in a bowl with white rice. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

Note: I used hard tofu but soft tofu may be used instead.

Check out the other great challenges with tofu:

Curls and Carrots

What’s Cooking

food for fun

1. Pingback: t is for tofu | food for fun

2. Liz 2014-03-26 at 22:16

looks fantastic! Thanks for letting me play with you 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 14:54

It’s been great, and I love seeing the other creations! I hope you’re up for U!

1. Liz 2014-03-27 at 21:23

ready and waiting for U, oh captain 😉

making your tofu recipe tonight! Will add veggies and call it a stir-fry so the kids don’t freak.

3. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-03-26 at 23:36

I need to try your recipe AND the amazing restaurant. These flavors are simple, straightforward and authentic. Your preparation is spot-on. The photos and the ingredient list both peaked my interest and my appetite, Sofia. Thank you for sharing with us. xx Shanna

4. Sunny 2014-03-26 at 23:37

Hey Sofia, Love the new layout! Your beautiful photo pops a lot more this way!

Now come to think of it, I have pretty much all the ingredients in the fridge. Maybe I’ll grab some coconut milk tomorrow and make this for a quick lunch!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 14:58

Oh I’m glad you like it. I wanted something even MORE minimal (hehe) but was afraid the photos would be too big… Thanks 🙂
      Next time, I’ll make this with broccoli 😉

1. Sunny 2014-03-27 at 15:16

I have been REALLY obsessed with broccoli lately. Instead of chips, I can roast some broccoli and eat that for fun. It’s funny because I remember HATING broccoli as a kid/teenager. Don’t know what changed! Nowadays, it’s cauliflower that I refuse to eat :p

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 15:21

Good for you, so healthy! Roasting broccoli? I’ll try and copy you, sounds healthy! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 16:30

Thanks for the link! And thanks for introducing me to this fun looking blog 🙂 Aha, I think lemon juice should go well with broccoli 🙂

5. Michelle 2014-03-27 at 01:21

I love tofu. As long as it’s not (as it seems it often is in America) masquerading as something else (like meat … ugh). Your recipe obviously puts the tofu front and center. Bravo!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 14:59

Haha I don’t see the point of pretending that tofu is meat! Have a great afternoon! xx

6. lapetitecasserole 2014-03-27 at 05:07

Wow! I’m so bad at using tofu in my diet….since I like it a lot I’m keep using it but without any fantasy. I love all the ingredients you’ve used, especially coconut cream… thanks a lot for sharing, I’m going to make it as soon as possible!

7. pianolearner 2014-03-27 at 14:47

I wonder if you have tried marinading the tofu first….

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 14:54

Good point. I always have this notion of wanting to marinate everything, but then don’t do it because I forget to actually do it until the moment of the cooking…

8. Amanda 2014-03-27 at 16:07

OMG Sofia, I love Indian food. For some reason I think soy and I think Asian. This looks so simple and delicious and very healthy. What a brilliant use of spices. Thanks so much for inviting me to join your adventure. This was so fun.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-27 at 22:20

Well you do think Asian, your tofu blew me away! I love Indian but I don’t know very well how to cook it, and for me it must also be spicy! The Indian restaurant nearby, just with the aromas, does inspire me a lot. I’m glad you had fun, and I hope you join in more 🙂 xx

9. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-03-28 at 23:19

Looks yummy! And I have made cheesecake with tofu! It was quite delicious…I haven’t tried it again, and I don’t know why…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-29 at 11:08

Cheesecake with tofu? Now thats creative! Guillermina, if you ever do start a blog, you are so welcome to join us in the monthly ingredient challenge!

10. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-03-29 at 00:00

I’ve had mixed thoughts about tofu in the past, but this really does look (and sound) good …. especially with the addition of the coconut milk … yum! I love the new blog layout too, Sofia! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-03-29 at 11:09

Did you have it about the taste or some points or other of its reputation? (just curious!)