Grapefruit and Banana Jam

The other day I made grapefruit and banana jam. I truly am a modest person, but I have to say this is the best jam I’ve ever made to this date. But who knows, perhaps in a few weeks I’ll invent another funky flavour and make a better one.

Grapefruit and banana jam

Before the recipe, some musings. Despite the fact that I’m not the most athletic person on earth, I do do some sports. These days what I mainly do is swim laps. When I go to the pool, I’ll swim 1km each time, which takes me 28 minutes to do. Or sometimes less if I go into turbo mode.

I actually don’t remember any moment when I’ve not done sports on a regular basis. I don’t remember any moment when I didn’t know how to swim. When I was small I was sent to ballet lessons. The schools I went to in Australia had sports as an important part of their activities, so I was also always doing something: swimming, running, long jump, cricket, Aussie rules football… The time that I most intensely did sports ever was when I lived in Brunei, but that was mainly out of sheer boredom because I nearly had nothing else to do.

I’m not an expert on the matter, but I do think that if you do plenty of sports as a child, it makes it a lot easier to incorporate fitness activities into your regular routine as an adult.

Which is your favourite sports?

Grapefruit and banana homemade jam

Homemade banana grapefruit jam

Grapefruit and Banana Jam Recipe

Time warning if you want to make this jam: I spent one hour and a half perfectly peeling the grapefruit so that absolutely no traces of the peels would be in the jam. Surely spending one hour and a half carefully peeling grapefruits must give a good result?

5 large grapefruits
2 bananas
1kg sugar

Peel and cut the grapefruits. Keep the seeds. Put the seeds in a very tiny amount of water and boil for a few minutes.

Peel and cut the bananas.

Put the grapefruit, bananas and the water from the boiled seeds in a large pot. Bring to boil and let it boil for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Add the sugar. Cook over low heat for about 40 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency.

Homemade grapefruit and banana jam

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-01 at 03:00

When I use to cycle a lot, we had a saying “eat to ride, ride to eat…” 🙂

So good for you to be swimming to eat! There is something about exercise that also makes the mind sharper (a synergistic partnership), so I definitely agree that it is a necessary part of life. For me, it always use to be basketball/tennis ~ but these days more hiking/running and swimming. My body seems to get very restless when I do not do something active during the day…and it is also good preparation for a few slices of bread with a generous dollop of your ‘amazing grapefruit & banana jam’. Ha, ha!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:48

Did you used to cycle out in the countryside?
      I think that sports does make your mind sharper too. Though I don’t know about swimming, people say it must be boring but its not for me because it’s one of those moments that I think too much! 🙂
      I just had some of the jam again now. It’s not a typical jam moment of the day, I know, but I couldn’t resist!

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-02 at 01:25

Yes, there were endless backroads and on ambitious days up into the mountains. A great feeling of bliss…I think in many ways like swimming, you get lost in thought ~ a bit like meditation. Grapefruit & Banana, such an interesting mix as I have never heard of it…how did you think of it?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-02 at 08:10

Cycling up a mountain is hard work!
          A lady I know made grapefruit and banana jam a few years ago which I tried, (but hers was the white grapefruit, so the jam was light yellow) and it was so good it was what sparked me to one day make my own jam and also try a grapefruit and banana one 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-02 at 11:40

Coming down the mountain is great 🙂
            So I “googled” grapefruit and banana jam on the internet to try to find out more about it…the first entry is “Papaya Pieces” so it looks like you have a great business opportunity to market and sell this jam! You can monopolize the market 🙂 Very cool…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-02 at 11:45

Hahaha I just tried googling it too now that you said so. If you google strawberry and pear jam, the images are in the 1st line. If you google kiwi and apple jam, its the 2nd entry. (I haven’t bothered trying with the rest..) Maybe I should make funky flavoured jams and sell them! 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-02 at 13:14

Wow, I’ve seen those photos before! Maybe this is your destiny “Papaya Pieces ~ Authentic Countryside Jams”…and it may sound better in French or Spanish 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-02 at 13:18

Yes, that actually consists of one of the stupid things I’ve done in my youth ~ coming off the mountain I would draft behind the big lorries, and could hit speeds of 61mph (98 km/h). Exhilarating, but looking back I think a bit stupid 🙂

2. Lisa 2014-04-01 at 03:17

What a fantastic flavor pairing! I love jam of any kind – but I’ve never come across grapefruit or banana, much less the two combined! What a fantastic variation. Lovely, Sofia!

3. lapetitecasserole 2014-04-01 at 06:28

Banana in jam??? this is a real and great discover, thank you Sofia!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:49

Yeah, but I think you need to put it in less quantity with regards to the other fruits to make it work!

4. cruzccc 2014-04-01 at 15:27

Yo de pequeña era super deportista; practicaba cualquier deporte! Ahora todo quedó en olvido y me he vuelto muy perezosa…a ver si cambio este hábito y vuelvo a mis andadas ;P
    La mermelada tiene una pinta exquisita! Y me encanta la combinación de frutas!
    Gracias por estas recetas tan ricas Sofia 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:53

Quizas comprando ropa de deporte nueva da nuevas ganas. A mi cuando se me pone viejo el bañador y tengo que comprar uno nuevo, de repente quiero hacer mucho deporte para estrenarlo 😉 es una tontería, pero bueno…. jeje
      Un besito!

5. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-04-01 at 16:01

Yep, this looks absolutely divine! And the flavor combo quite interesting. About sports (or exercise as say here in the U.S. of A.), I have ALWAYS been a lazy bum. After my gastric bypass a year ago, I walked with my husband about 3 or 4 times a week. But somewhere after the fifth month after my surgery, I stopped! Oy vey…my natural sloth took over. So now I am PLANNING to take water aerobics, I even bought a new swimsuit! Let’s see if I actually do it…hehehehe…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:44

Gosh do go to the water aerobics, I’m sure its fun because often when I swim there is a water aerobics class going on in the other half of the pool, so funny, everyone jumping up and down at the same time, it creates waves and for the other half of us swimming it feels like we’re in the sea! 🙂 It does look fun, so do go ahead!

6. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-04-01 at 16:02

Where does that gorgeous red jewel color come from???? From the seeds??? I am definitely intrigued, so I suppose I may have to do it!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:45

I think its called a “red” grapefruit and it was a reddish colour inside. I was surprised because I hadn’t bought a grapefruit in ages and was thinking of the white grapefruits. So the beautiful colour was a nice surprise!

7. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-04-01 at 16:35

I am so impressed with your swimming. I enjoy sport, too – running or walking, swimming or cycling. 🙂 Mostly just running these days; it’s easier with the kids (pushing them in a running stroller or on our treadmill). Your jam has such a great consistency and color. Just beautiful. I can only imagine how tasty it is. The photo with the Spanish words is a special shot. I am wondering if grapefruit has pectic in it? I usually use an apple or lemon juice in jams to help the set-up without adding a pectin enzyme. I read that good sources of naturally-occurring pectin are:
    Apples, sour
    Blackberries, sour
    Crabapples
    Cranberries
    Currants
    Gooseberries
    Grapes (Eastern Concord)
    Lemons
    Loganberries
    Plums (not Italian)
    Quinces
    Have a great week, Sofia. I am looking forward to our U challenge.
    Un beso muy fuerte,
    Shanna

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-01 at 16:42

Hi Shanna, I’m impressed with your running! I can swim really strong but for some reason running is tough for me. However Mr. H. runs quite a lot, but I’m just bad at it. I try sometimes, maybe its a case of trying sometimes more often!
      I think any citrus fruits have quite a bit of pectin, as do the seeds ( boiled them then added the water which supposedly would have some pectin). The list of fruits you right is just what I think, and I actually want to make a post about it (because I never add any extra pectin other than what comes naturally). I just need to make a photo of fruit first! lol.
      I’m looking forward to U swell, we need to get deciding!!
      Un beso muy fuerte también amiga 🙂
      PS the photo with the Spanish words is my scribbling it of course… I later found out that in English “pomelo” is a certain type of grapefruit, while here they call pomelo to all the kinds of grapefruit!

8. Michelle 2014-04-02 at 03:41

I am so intrigued by that flavor combination. I’d never have thought of it, but it sounds wonderful! What a beautiful color. And, yes, of course all that peeling was worthwhile. 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-02 at 08:10

Indeed, though for next time I know it will be with a very sharp knife and know no fear! 😉

9. laurasmess 2014-04-02 at 08:16

The jam sounds so much nicer in Spanish than in English… or maybe I’m just saying that because I’m an English speaking person! I never would’ve thought of the combination of banana and grapefruit but the jam looks amazing. I definitely need to give it a go! As for exercise? I used to play netball and swim but I do very little these days. I am so exhausted by the time I get home from work that I normally just cook, eat, sit then go to bed! I do enjoy walking and swimming though. Good on you for maintaining your swimming regime! xx

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-02 at 21:48

It does sound more poetic in Spanish, doesn’t it?! Oh yes Laura, give it a go, but on a day when you have time and patience (and pretty certain you often have patience!). Good on you for going swimming too. I live in the middle of the city and don’t own a car – which is a nightmare to own here anyway – so I often don’t catch the underground just as an excuse to walk everywhere! xx

10. whatjessicabakednext 2014-04-02 at 17:39

Love all your jam recipes, always sound so amazing and look super delicious! Definitely will need to make some of my own soon! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-02 at 21:49

You should! Its work but once you do, you definitely notice the huge difference with the supermarket ones 🙂 xx

11. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-04-02 at 22:00

What a beautiful idea for a jam … banana and grapefruit! I would never have thought of that. I bet this is incredible!

12. Johnny / Kitschnflavours 2014-04-04 at 03:53

Certainly looks delicious. And I would hope it would be after an hour and a half peeling grapefruit! Got to ask, how ripe were your bananas. It’s just that unripe fruit can give a better set. And certainly unripe bananas are acidic. Very curious about this. 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-04 at 11:19

The bananas were “normal”, neither overripe nor unripe. I made a jam last year with some overripe bananas, and you must be right, because it didn’t set as well as this one.

13. littleblissbook 2014-04-04 at 05:43

The color is gorgeous! I’ve never tried making jam, but I’m highly considering making this on a bored summer day when I have a lot of time to go through the peeling 😉

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-04 at 11:20

Go ahead when you have the time, you’ll have plenty of gorgeous jam for some time afterwards!

14. Tala Ghalayini 2014-04-29 at 10:56

I do sports mainly to allow myself to eat a little more as well! I tend to mix it up, but swimming, sadly, is low on my list since i’m poor at it 🙁 the jam looks really yummy tho i’m surprised at the mix – i wanted to ask, is it possible to make it using a little less sugar, or with honey instead? I love both grapefruits and bananas so i’m willing to spend the extra hours peeling if i can make this with less sugar 😀 thanks!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 17:33

I haven’t tried making jam with honey but I bet it would turn out nice too. I would suggest to use a higher proportion of banana to grapefruit than what I did so that you wouldn’t have to use so much sugar. Also, have you ever used chia seeds? I haven’t but bought some for the first time and will make a jam with them soon. Apparently their a really good alternative to sugar in jams too. I know the peeling teas forever, but I guarantee I’ll be making it against was so good.

1. Tala Ghalayini 2014-05-01 at 17:22

I didn’t think of chia seeds! That’s a great tip!! Let me know how it turns out. I just bought a good batch of grapefruit today. Yum yum

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-01 at 17:28

Oh gosh if you make some let me know too how it turns out. I was going to buy some fruit and make some jam today, but silly me everything is shut 🙂