Music at the Easter Processions in Andalucía

I’ve spent a few days in Cadiz, Andalucía, in the south of Spain. I guess that this is the part of Spain with most religious devotion, and they take their Easter processions very seriously. I find that the music they play during the processions is fascinating.

With this saeta called Tristeza en tus ojos, Padre (Sadness in your eyes, Father), I upload my first video YouTube. I hope you enjoy this part of the procession.

Thank you for visiting!

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2014-04-20 at 19:50

Hey Sofia, this sounds like quite an experience! I don’t think I’ve witnessed an Easter procession before! I hope you’ve had some great family time and fooood 😉

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-21 at 00:07

I hope you do get to experience a good one one day. I have to admit they are so full of symbolisms and traditions that I don’t understand even half of it, but just to watch it (and the people watching it) is an experience. Oh definitely had great local food and Indonesian food too!

2. Dalo 2013 2014-04-20 at 22:58

Great video Sofia, there is always something really cool about Easter processions…the music in this video is great (I like brass). Cheers.

3. Saskia (1=2) 2014-04-20 at 23:41

Great video Sofia. Also love the first photo, with the cheeky smiling man! Happy Easter to you.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-20 at 23:51

The cheeky smiling man was the one who told us the name of the music and then posed with his cheeky smile 🙂 Happy Easter to you and your family!

4. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-04-21 at 04:10

I witnessed the Semana Santa (Holy Week) processions in El Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz, España–in 2003. First time for me, but my husband had seen these in Central America….thanks for the video, Sofia!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-21 at 11:48

I went to one in el Puerto last year, I hope you enjoyed them there! I will be posting more pictures of these when I have time to look through them. 🙂 A few days ago we had lunch in El Puerto, oh so beautiful and so delicious. You would have loved it 🙂

5. Karen 2014-04-21 at 13:27

Thank you Sofia, for posting the Easter procession. The sound of the brass horns had a haunting sound.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-22 at 10:20

Karen you’re right that it’s haunting. I got the chills being the in the midst of it while taping it. xx

6. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-04-22 at 08:01

Sofia, I spent a few months in Granada once and loved all of the processions and traditions. There are so many in Spain! Happy (belated) Easter!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-22 at 10:21

Hi Helen! Granada is another great place for these procession. I hope you also had a Happy Easter!

7. Johnny / Kitschnflavours 2014-04-24 at 04:56

When I was in Conil several years ago I could hear them practising for the processions later that month. The music is hauntingly beautiful. And I was lucky enough to catch processions in Marbella, Granada, Jaén and Baeza. The latter was one of my favourite places!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-24 at 23:51

You lived in Conil (in Cadiz)? My parents live in a town very close by! I haven’t been to Jaen and Baeza,, will take into account your comment here for if I do go.

1. Johnny / Kitschnflavours 2014-04-24 at 23:55

No, I was only in Conil for four days! Then on to Cadiz. If you get the chance then definitely visit both Baeza and Ubeda, both very important Renaissance towns in Southern Spain. Actually, Cazorla (nearby) was good to visit as well. Partly as it’s the gateway to a huge national park. Would love to live in Andalusia!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-24 at 23:58

Noted! Well it’s quite cool that my parents live there, its a great place to visit! I should be posting more Easter procession photos from all around there whenever I get around to choosing them (I’ve been behind lately!).