Easter in Andalucía 2014

The sounds of trumpets, flutes and drums fill the air. The perfume of incense surrounds you. Many devoted souls take part in the Pasos de Semana Santa (the Easter Processions).

Music in Easter Palm Sunday

Music for easter

Watching the Easter processions

Processions on Palm Sunday

Lantern in Easter

I was able to spend this Easter again at my parents place in Andalusia. Going out in the evenings would bring us to the Easter Processions taking place during those days, and allowed me to photograph many scenes. You can find information about these processions here in the post I wrote about it last year.

The statues of Christ and the Virgin Mary are marched through the streets, lifted by young men, as it can be seen in the photograph below.

Carrying the procession

Easter in Andalucia

Easter processions in a coastal town of Andalucia

Easter processions in Andalucia

Some of the photos were taken on Palm Sunday.

Children on Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday

The cross in Easter

Sometimes the people march barefoot.

Barefoot in the Easter Procession

Easter in Cadiz

Then as night approaches, candles are lit. An even more solemn and magical feeling descends on the crowd.

Cadiz in Easter

Cadiz at Easter

Bearing the Christ

Christ in the Easter procession

A new tradition has recently been created. Now children make wax balls with the melted wax that drip off the candles. They keep their wax balls all year and bring them out again the following year’s procession to continue making their wax balls bigger.

Making wax balls in Easter

Under the cloaks

Children in the Easter procession

I hope you enjoyed the photos. With these I’m also sending out a wave to my blogging friend and amazing photographer Randall. You can check out his blog for his scenes of Easter taken in Mexico, and beautiful photos of devotion, from a different religion.

Thank you for visiting!

1. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-04-26 at 18:29

Oh, thank you for the trip down memory lane! When we lived in Spain, such glorious years! And I’ll have to check out Randall’s blog on Easter in Mexico!!!!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-27 at 19:25

Hi Guillermina! I hoped you enjoyed his photos… And that you’re feeling better! 😉

2. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-04-26 at 23:38

This is a neat post, Sofia. I love Spanish culture. The men with the hats are a little scary, though – they look like a group in the USA whose name I won’t mention! This shows the difference in cultures and attire between countries.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-27 at 19:26

Hi Shanna, yeah the men with the hats did freak me out when I first came to Spain but we know it has nothing to do with the group whose name we won’t mention!

3. whatjessicabakednext 2014-04-27 at 09:36

This looks amazing! I love seeing how other countries around the world celebrate Easter- so this was brilliant to read!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-27 at 19:32

You’re right, it’s amazing how so many countries have very traditional yet very different ways of celebrating the same festivity. xx

4. laurasmess 2014-04-27 at 11:21

Whoa. Those pointed hoods are kinda scary… I was thinking exactly the same thing that Shanna mentioned above! But the rest of it is incredible. We have nothing that is as ornate and beautiful over the Easter period here in Australia. Wonderful post! x

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-27 at 19:33

Hi Laura! Yeah, as I had said to Shanna they did freak me out when I first arrived in Spain. As we know it has nothing to do with the other group, its ok 🙂

5. Amanda 2014-04-27 at 18:56

W ow Sofia! Thank you for this. It really is something special to see the processions. When I was 13 I went to Sevilla with my mom for Semana Santa. It was such a magical experience. Your photos really brought me back. Thanks for doing this.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-27 at 19:38

And also wow that must have been an incredible experience for you both! I’m really glad you enjoyed the photos. Un abrazo!

6. pianolearner 2014-04-27 at 19:29

Great photos, I especially like the ones with the smoke. Very atmospheric. 🙂

1. pianolearner 2014-04-27 at 19:42

That’s because we both have great taste 🙂

7. Karen 2014-04-28 at 15:42

I love that religious traditions still hold such a strong part of life in Europe. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos of Easter in Andalusia.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-28 at 19:45

I’m glad you liked seeing them Karen. To tell you the truth, because I have not lived here all my life, I don’t understand the symbolism in it all, but I can definitely feel how they are so important to the locals. xx

8. Dalo 2013 2014-04-29 at 04:59

Wonderful Sofia, you bring the procession to life…and I love the opening photo, something about the smoke of the incense and the lighting really attracts me. You have several of these incredible shots…but my favorite is the one with the backlit priests and the sun blazing through (12th shot). As I mentioned to you before, I need to see a Spanish procession at least once in my life 🙂

Also, what a nice wonderful surprise to have to mention my blog/photography, thank you. Your shots go well with the Easter shots in Mexico…many things similar, but also many differences. I like the wax-ball story, and I can tell you as a kid that would be my focus 🙂
    Cheers and have a great week! Randy

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 14:25

Hi Randy! I’m glad you like the 12th shot because as I was doing it, I wanted it to turn out that way, with the blazing sun behind it all, it turned out just how I wanted. I hope you do see a Spanish procession, and if you do get to see one with wax balls, you an pretend to be a tall kid and start your own wax ball 😉 You’d probably stir up excitement between the kids haha.

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-30 at 00:52

That shot is so cool, it shows that you have the mind of a photographer 🙂 Nothing more fun than creative shooting, especially getting rewarded with those types of shots. I too hope to see a Spanish procession and I like the idea of starting my own wax ball as a tall kid, the kids can teach me how it’s done!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-30 at 11:23

I have two cousins who are professional photographers in Indonesia, so hopefully its somewhere in the genes 😉 I’m sure you’ll make a wax ball!

1. Dalo 2013 2014-04-30 at 14:29

It is in the genes… it starts with the adventuresome spirit, and then soon you’ll be taking your camera everywhere exploring new places 🙂

9. Tala Ghalayini 2014-04-29 at 10:45

lovely photos – i really really need to plan a trip there!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 17:29

Yes you should! And if you go to Andalucia during spring after easter, you’re bound to find towns with the ferias and everyone dressed in the flamenco costumes and dancing, you’d love it!

10. unwillingexpat 2014-05-06 at 11:20

Beautiful pictures. I can see many similarities with Easter traditions in Italy, particularly in Sicily with all the masked confraternities and processions You have a beautiful blog and I am now following it!!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-06 at 11:34

Thank you! Actually I live in Barcelona and I’ve been to Sicily. Sometimes depending on which part of the city I’m walking through I feel like I’m in Sicily, so there must be many similarities with Spain and Italy, maybe its a Mediterranean thing!