Photos One Year Later // Thyme and Lime Squid Rice Recipe

The person who says something is imposible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

– Chinese proverb

As I was pointing my camera upwards, I heard someone sneer. It’s too dark, she’ll never be able to make a photo.

Luckily this time I proved them wrong. We were sitting in the Plaça del Rei in Barcelona, after enjoying another piano recital by my friends. It was just like a scene from just over a year ago: classical music, same beautiful plaza. Only this time I had a different camera with me. Just to show how the camera we use can make a difference, compare these photos with these ones from last year.

MUHBA Barcelona

Placa del Rey Barcelona

What do you think?

The other day I was going to make some squid with rice. I had some fresh thyme and wondered if thyme would go well with squid. So I did the natural thing for this day and age. I googled it.

It seemed to be that squid goes well with thyme and lime. Plus is rhymes! I had a lime lying around, so thyme and lime squid rice it would be.

Thyme and lime

500g squid, 1 cup rice, a few twigs thyme, 1 lime, 1 clove garlic, salt, white pepper, 1 teaspoon olive oil, water

Cut the squid into pieces. Peel and cut the garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and fry over low heat for about 30 seconds. Add the squid. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the rice, thyme, salt and white pepper along with enough water to cook the rice. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes or until all the rice is cooked. Serve with the lime juice squeezed on top.

Thyme and lime squid rice

1. Sunny 2014-04-28 at 20:45

Oh nom nom! I wish squid were less expensive here. I’ve never bought any because the price tag really puts me off, but I do really love squid 🙂

1. Sunny 2014-04-29 at 18:33

Yeah seafood here is kinda sad. There isn’t that big of a variety, and the interesting stuff (for me personally) costs quite some money.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 18:36

Actually, apart from mussels, I am often surprised when I go to Lille because I often think its like here and then I get let down when I see the seafood there (and the prices)..

2. pianolearner 2014-04-28 at 23:17

That looks properly tasty. Great shots. Its amazing the advances in camera technology. What used to be reserved for professionals is now available in much smaller form to us mere mortals…

3. Dalo 2013 2014-04-29 at 05:24

The camera makes a bit of a difference, but I think it is the much improved and creative photographer where the most improvement came from! This recipe looks delicious and pretty easy…I think maybe I could even do (and that is a big “maybe”).

4. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-04-29 at 14:32

I can imagine that lime goes wonderfully with squid, Sofia. I’ve never tried cooking it at home but it’s so popular here in Greece so I really should. Glad yours turned out so well. Looks wonderful!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 17:12

But you’re still in Greece, right? So you should give it a try while you’re there!

5. Karen 2014-04-29 at 14:46

I don’t know if the improvements are from the camera or from the photographer…either way, really nice. As is your creation for squid and rice.

6. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-04-29 at 16:44

The photos you took recently are much more crisper–wow! But YOU have also been evolving as a photographer…and your dish looks scrumptious! It would have to be FROZEN squid here on the border, though! LOL!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-29 at 17:14

I hope it’s frozen in a well done way though! Just letting you know that I’m still feeling jealous of your mozzarella course…

7. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-04-30 at 10:15

Las fotos son una pasada! La cámara ayuda un montón, pero aprender a mirar a través de la cámara es muy importante; a veces con un móvil puedes hacer verdaderas maravillas. Es un aprendizaje continuo y eso es lo más bonito <3
    Tengo que hacer ese arroz con rima 😉 Tiene una pinta impresionante!
    Un beso, preciosa!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-04-30 at 10:30

Si que se va notando los resultados en el aprendizaje. Y la cámara ayuda mucho. Ahora tengo un nuevo movil y no tiene comparación las fotos que hace con el de antes (que no se veja nada). Y la cámara normal que tengo también se ve la diferencia con el de antes. Hehe arroz con rima 🙂 Un beso guapa!

8. Marie-Pier | 4 Seasons at Home 2014-05-01 at 19:28

Wow, there is such a huge difference between the photos from last year and this year’s pics! You’re a good photographer! 😉

9. Lignum Draco 2014-05-01 at 22:52

The meal looks delicious. And your photograph is better than than previous. Probably not just the camera though. A bit of credit to the photographer too. 🙂

10. Jean Miller 2015-07-23 at 02:12

I like the lime in there (and not just because it rhymes with thyme). Citrus brightens up so many things… I like to use a splash with steamed vegetables like zucchini. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!