How I Started Playing the Piano // Blueberry & Greek Yogurt Smoothie

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.

– Victor Hugo

After trying to provide musical encouragement to a few of you out there with my post how I restarted playing the piano, now let’s step back a little more in time to the story of how I began in the first place. Spoiler: we can thank my mum.

When I was small I was sent to ballet classes. In the midst of my pirouettes and all the other little girly dancing jumps that went along with it, my mum detected the fact that my real obsession was actually the music that the lady at the piano would play for us. So my mum asked me if I wanted to learn to play the piano. It is evident that I said yes!

We got a cheap old hundredth hand piano, just in case I would lose my interest after a few months (or days) – I remember some of the keys from that one didn’t even work. Not only did I not lose my interest, they very soon had to sell it and get a better one.

It was very awesome of my mum to detect that and have me begin in the first place. I cannot thank you enough mum!

I remember a few years ago I was having a coffee at a terrace outside of a café. Nearby, in the street, a young man was playing classical music on his cello. His music was beautiful. I saw how a father and his two small sons were walking by. The smallest, who must have been about 4 years old, made them stop and was watching the cellist in complete awe. You could see he wanted to stay there and listen until the cellist went home. You could see he wanted to touch the cello too. To me it looked like he had found something that could potentially one day be his passion. The eldest son had no interest in it whatsoever and was trying to pull them away to continue walking ahead. The eldest son won, and so they walked away. I always wondered if maybe that was one of those fleeting moments when perhaps the father could have detected the opportunity to ask if he would like to study music, if he would like to play the cello.

This blueberry and greek yogurt smoothie turned out extremely thick and creamy. Ok, I added a couple of spoonfuls of cream that I found left over from something I must have made recently. When I threw the blueberries on top, I was afraid they would just sink to the the bottom of the glass straight away… which wouldn’t be great for the photo shoot. But it turned out that the smoothie was so frothy that they floated like buoys.

Creamy blueberry and greek yogurt smoothie

100g blueberries, 150g greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons cream, 1 teaspoon sugar

Wash the blueberries. Save a few blueberries to decorate later and add the rest along with the rest of the ingredients into a blender. Blend well for about a minute or two. The cream should make it turn into a thick smoothie. Serve in a glass and add the rest of the blueberries on top.

(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2014-05-20 at 21:36

OOO I’m definitely giving this a go one of these days! Looks so yum!

I’m glad your mom figured out what you were passionate about!

2. Amanda 2014-05-20 at 22:35

I love blueberries in any form. YUM. This looks so good. I also love the cello. Yo Yo Ma was kind of my hero growing up. He still kind of is.

3. eleieleika 2014-05-21 at 00:27

You were 4 when I sent you to Singapore Ballet Academy, then we moved to OZ and continued your clases there. You passed all the Royal exams with honours 🙂 but I realized that to be a good balerina, you have to work very hard, and suffer too, anyway not until you were 8 when I bought you that very old piano. I was glad you started then, when you were able to count and read notes, and when your hands could reach the keys and your feet stepped the pedales. You did well combined ballet and piano classes. All exams esults were amazings. Thank God your father never let me worked outside the house, so I could concentrated with you and your brother.
    I never regreted those moments, even when you decided not to do ballet anymore.
    We are glad that you did what you liked best, we were just there to support, all efforts are yours. The important things are: do what your heart tells you and it makes you happy. I can relax feel and happy now because I made you happy….. 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:49

Of course you can relax, playing the piano is the best 🙂 so thank you!!! 🙂 Muchos besos

4. Bunny Eats Design 2014-05-21 at 06:41

My mama sent us to learn instruments. I don’t think either of us loved it as much as you did. It was more of a chore for me, but regardless, I played the violin for about 10 years, even joining the chamber orchestra and orchestra at school. While I love listening to music, I don’t miss playing it.

Oh and I wanted to do ballet when I was a little girl but I was never allowed. I don’t know what my mother’s reasons were, maybe cost, maybe she knew it was a fad that would last 5 minutes.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:43

Wow, I’ve never played in an orchestra and always wondered how it would feel to be part of one.
      Do you still want to do ballet now 😉

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-05-23 at 02:19

I do not. I enjoyed being in the orchestra because it was a big group. I wasn’t as fond of the chamber orchestra because it was a lot smaller and more obvious if I hadn’t done any practice that week!

5. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-05-21 at 10:30

OK, Sofia, you already know about my crazy crush on blueberries so very little remains to be said about it. Awesome recipe, seriously, I’ll be trying it soon.
    Great story that of your love for music and piano lessons start up. I too thank your mum. Mums…! <3

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:39

With regards ti blueberries, raspberries, strawberries,… maybe you and I can preside the International Crazy Crush on Berries Club? We would probably do well 🙂 Besito!

6. lapetitecasserole 2014-05-21 at 14:20

I love your stories Sofia, I love reading them because you’re a really gifted person who love share his passions without being presumptuous!
    Your mum has been great figuring out about your real passions! Great recipe, the blueberries look so proud to be in top of that cream!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:44

Merci beaucoup Margherita, you are too nice 🙂
      Yes, my mum did a great job with that, and I’m so thankful about it.

7. Priya Kedlaya 2014-05-21 at 14:46

Sofia, I love your writing. It’s so interesting and personal and yet so relatable. Keep blogging, gal! 🙂 And I love your header font/design – so neat and so YOU! Those blueberries looks so snug in that thick smoothie…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:46

Hi Priya, thanks I’m really happy with my new design, that’s right, its me 🙂 But most of all I really adore your illustrations and your blog, so your opinion really makes me smile.

8. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-05-22 at 14:04

That’s a story that’s a great reminder of how influential parents can be … for better or for worse. I will have to remember that if and when I ever become a parent!
    Beautiful-looking smoothie! Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits right now and I love Greek yoghurt, so I don’t think I could go wrong by treating myself to one of these!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-22 at 18:48

I also worry that if I become a parent, just how influential I will be. And if I will detect certain traits on time or not.
      Go ahead and treat yourself to one of these, it’s so quick and easy and really so good!

9. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-05-23 at 20:40

Your photography and lighting are amazing! 🙂 I have always wanted to learn to play the piano. I wonder if it’s too late? xx

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 21:10

Not to late! My piano teacher has plenty of adults that have started learning from scratch in adulthood. They do some beautiful tunes. xx

10. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 01:47

Loved the stories. Of how your Mum say your interest in music rather than ballet, and also about you seeing the magic music held for that little boy who wanted to listen to the cello. These are the small things in life that are so important. Important to notice and to act upon. Cheers, and thanks to your Mum 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 10:59

Huge thanks to my mum yes! 🙂 Sometimes noticing the small details is what can make us really happy. Have a great Friday!

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 13:09

It is so true, and that is what mothers are for…they really do know best 🙂 Take care and have a great weekend Sofia.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 13:50

Again, I still have an afternoon of work to put through. You’ve started your weekend. Have a great time!

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 14:06

Oops, that’s right. I am a free-bird right now 🙂

11. Liz 2014-11-26 at 06:19

Thank you for sending me to your piano posts, Sofia. No worries about self-promotion by offering archived links. I do it myself when it seems appropriate. Love that your mom was so perceptive.