No. 1 Worst Chore // Colourful Berry and Hazelnut Oat Breakfast

My second favourite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.

– Erma Bombeck

We can assume that what Erma says is such an exaggeration, but put your hands up whoever doesn’t like ironing.

While I know there are some saintly people out there that find ironing relaxing, I certainly dislike ironing. If you like playing Sherlock – like I do – my photo just below is a telltale sign. Such is my dislike that when I go shopping for clothes, I’m notorious for not buying something I really like just because it is made of a material that would always need ironing. It’s lame, I know.

Strawberry blueberry and hazelnut breakfast

I think ironing is the household chore I most put off doing. I think I haven’t done it at all in the last 12 months. Which is the chore that, no matter what, you try not to do?

While we are on the subject of domestic slackness, I have to admit that despite the fact that obviously I know that breakfast is such an important meal of the day, and that I really enjoy eating a good breakfast, ironically one third of the times I’ll make myself a coffee (the must of my mornings) and then sometimes I’m just too sleepy to prepare anything to eat. So the other day when I made this gorgeously colourful oat bowl, I couldn’t resist photographing it, even if it’s just to document the effort. It’s also a reminder to myself that making a healthy, colourful, scrummy breakfast like this only takes about 55 seconds to throw together.

I’m happy to report that I did make something similar this morning.

1/2 cup oats, blueberries, strawberries, hazelnuts, milk or yogurt

Wash the fruits well. Cut the strawberries. Throw everything together in a bowl. Serve with milk or yogurt.

Optionally add a touch of brown sugar, honey or maple syrup if desired.

Blueberry strawberry and hazelnut oaty breakfast

(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2014-05-22 at 19:18

Oh this is pretty! I have to wait for an hour or so after I get up to eat breakfast. I just can’t do it right after rolling out of my bed! I also hate ironing with a passion. I get pissed when Dr. D asks me to iron his shirts. This guy works under a lab coat, so there is absolutely no reason for him to wear anything that requires ironing!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 09:56

I’m sort of glad to hear that, I thought I was the only one that needed “adjustment” after rolling out of bed.
      Indeed there should be no reason for ironing if it will be under a lab coat!

2. Bunny Eats Design 2014-05-23 at 02:17

I dislike chores in general. The only time I give the house a top to bottom cleaning is when we’re having guests over!

I might iron 1 item every 1-2 months. Generally, I wear clothes that do not require ironing. I come from a family of people who love to iron though. I have never ironed a tablecloth or pillowcase in my life by my Mum and sister both do. I don’t care that I missed out on that gene.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 10:07

Hahaha me too Genie, when I will have guests over is when it is most clean – and then everything gets messed up again, so inconsiderate of everyone 😉
      My mum irons everything too! Yeah, we must have missed out on that gene, or had a mutation on it,

3. Priya Kedlaya 2014-05-23 at 03:50

I wonder what’s the telltale sign.. is it the crumpled table cloth? 🙂 Nice bowl of breakfast – the oats don’t need cooking?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 10:03

haha… Sometimes I cook them but Mr. H. doesn’t like them cooked, so it’s a nice lazy excuse to not have to cook them 🙂

4. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-05-23 at 04:26

Okay, I am such a weird geek. I like ironing, I enjoy ironing. I wear only natural fibers–cotton, silk, and wool–and DETEST anything plastic (i.e., polyester), ergo, I must iron. It is one of those chores that you can do mindlessly and travel anywhere in the world in your mind. I usually listen to Latin jazz, or classic rock & roll, Mexican cumbias or rancheras, when I iron. HOWEVER, I hate almost any other type of housework–especially cleaning the kitchen granite counters, and cleaning the refrigerator. But I do hire a friend to help me clean. Of course, I should hire her more often!!! LOL! And about breakfast, I have ALWAYS had breakfast, no matter how early I get up, so I would get to work content when I did work. But after my gastric bypass (in February 2013), I cannot have anything with protein for breakfast–it’s usually a cup of coffee and toast with jam. Lately I have been able to slather on my toast some homemade chicken liver patè–an improvement!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 10:01

Good for you if you enjoy it! I detest “plastic” clothes too. So I try and get cotton (as in the soft tshirt type that doesn’t need ironing), wool, silk yes! (and dry it in a way so that it possible won’t need ironing haha), and jeans of course! I love all the different types of music you listen to when ironing 🙂 Homemade chicken liver pâtè for breakfast sounds so good! xx

5. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-05-23 at 09:24

Frankly, Sofia, I must admit that I hate any domestic chore in all its forms; no matter which 😉 Yet I like living in a pleasant and tidy atmosphere so I try to do my best without much nuisance…
    But I have to say that preparing breakfast is my strong point, so a bid clap to this marvelous suggestion of yours!!! Blueberries deserve that and much more <3
    Besos

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 09:58

I’m with you Rosa, I love living in a very clean and tidy atmosphere but I hate (and don’t have much time) to do domestic chores. Yes to blueberries for breakfast! Besos

6. Pingback: No. 1 Worst Chore // Colourful Berry and Hazelnut Oat Breakfast | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

7. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-05-23 at 18:46

I hardly ever iron, Sofia. Even if something is a little creased, I sometimes just put it on and wait for the creases to drop out … haha! (can’t believe I just admitted that!) The breakfast looks amazingly colouruful – in fact I sometimes have a similar breakfast, except lately I’ve been adding a spoonful of nutella as well. Naughty but nice.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 18:50

I’ll admit that I hang the clothes to dry in a way that as little creases as possible will form (and if they do I’ll just wear it like so). And if Mr H messes up the way of hanging and get huge bend creases in them, I get stroppy at him, bless him.
      A spoonful of nutella, what an awesome idea!!!! Will make BIG mental note of that one 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-23 at 21:09

To tell you the truth I hate ALL chores too 🙂 I’m happy to hear from you Shanna! xx

8. pianolearner 2014-05-23 at 23:59

I absolutely hate washing up dishes. But actually don’t mind ironing.

9. Michelle 2014-05-26 at 03:52

I don’t mind ironing (though I seldom do it until something is required). I am, however, too lazy to make breakfast most of the time. And every morning I still miss my “French breakfast” days. Somehow the requisite coffee always makes me wish for the accompanying cigarette. Or 3 or 4. 😉

10. Patty Nguyen 2014-05-26 at 09:12

My #1 worst chore is folding clothes. I. Hate. It. I have been known to leave it in the clean laundry basket and take items out as needed until the basket is empty. Heh! 😉

11. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 01:42

Breakfast looks great (similar to what I eat every morning, although occasionally have the great eggs/toast/bacon breakfast). Ironing…funny. My mom sat me down prior to going to college to teach me how to iron ~ in my mind I just kept thinking “I’m never going to iron…” while my Mom was just thinking “you just iron your shirts and you will look so good & proper”…she was very helpful and even bought me an iron…but I’ve never used it. She was so disappointed to learn I never ironed, but I told her it is a good thing because my first girlfriend in college actually took pity on me when I showed up at a function with a very wrinkled collar (it was a bit intentionally as I actually thought it looked good!). Sigh…

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 09:59

Sounds like you have good breakfasts! Oh of course my mum taught me to iron too, I just don’t like it. When I no longer lived at home and would come to visit, I would take out my wrinkly clothes from my suitcase and just wear them like that, my mum used to be horrified at me. Now she’s given up… It seems that our mum’s would have a mutual understanding with regards to this 😉 Haha what a kind girlfriend you had 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 13:04

Yes, I think our mums would just shake their heads 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 13:49

yes haha.
          There was this one time when I was a teenager, when we were visiting Spain, my mum would iron with my aunties, and they would iron vertical lines into the front of our jeans (like with very formal trousers). My cousins and I found this so uncool and we would iron them back out. That must have been the time of my life when I ever did most ironing.

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 14:08

Ha, ha…too funny. I felt the same way, ironed jeans especially with a crease down the leg, was a good way to get beat-up by older kids in my home town 🙂