Spanish Queso Fresco with Honey and Walnuts

“Her name is Wanda Gruz. She is your only living relative. You should meet her before you take your vows.”

– Prioress to Ida

This gorgeous dessert of Spanish queso fresco with honey and walnuts uses a Spanish type of fresh cheese. I would describe it as quite similar to ricotta but milder in taste and therefore better, in my opinion, to make into a dessert like this.

But first, let’s talk about a Polish movie I saw recently with my piano teacher: Ida. We saw it in Polish with Spanish subtitles. Here is the trailer.

It begins showing us how Ida lives in a convent in the 1960s. Within a few days she is due to take her vows to become a nun. Her prioress tells her of one living relative, Wanda, who she should meet before taking her vows. Ida goes to visit her. The first thing Wanda tells her is her real surname, and that in fact she was born a Jew. Ida, who has never lived outside of the convent, seems quite unfazed. Before Ida goes back to the convent, she and Wanda embark on a journey through Poland to find the truth about the death and burial place of Ida’s parents.

Scene from Ida

I’ll stop there in case anyone wants to watch it.

The film is beautiful though so tragic. Just as the film was finishing and the subtitles appeared, this piece by Bach Busoni is played. For us it was a huge surprise, because this is one of the pieces I’ve been working on. It’s beautiful yes, but oh such a sad tune. My piano and teacher have been working hard on the three voices within it to get the mood just how it has to be, so we knew every bit of feeling behind each note. The piece probably didn’t have the same effect for the other people in the cinema that day, but for us it was the most incredible way to end the film.

Spanish Queso Fresco with Walnuts and Honey

Spanish Queso Fresco with Honey and Walnuts Recipe

My piece of queso fresco of excellent quality so the consistency was very firm too. Spanish fresh cheese is usually round and comes in different sizes. I used a small 250g rounded one, and cut it in half horizontally.

Ingredients (per serving)

125g Spanish fresh cheese, 3-4 walnuts, honey, chia seeds (optional)

Gently crush the walnuts into pieces and place them on top of the cheese. Drizzle about 1 and a half tablespoons of honey on top. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of chia seeds over it.

Enjoy your dessert!

1. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-05-26 at 21:19

The movie looks exquisite…ah, yes, foreign films and in black & white…it’s on our list! And the dessert is exquisite…

2. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-05-26 at 21:24

Oh, and thank you Sofia for sharing this movie with me…

3. Sunny 2014-05-26 at 22:08

That movie sounds like a good one! I’ll hunt it down when I’m in the mood to see a sad and deep movie 😉

I wonder if I can find queso fresco here. We do have specialized cheese stores, but I don’t know how common this is!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-26 at 23:45

I hope you get to see it 🙂
      You just made me wonder, do you easily get the French cheeses there?

1. Sunny 2014-05-27 at 00:29

Oh yeah that’s not a problem. We get a good variety of that!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 00:39

Oh I’m glad, because the north of France gets a good variety of Belgium beer, so it’s reciprocal 🙂

4. Bunny Eats Design 2014-05-26 at 23:33

Oh lala! You had me at queso!

I tried queso at a tapas restaurant here. It was amazing. I don’t know anywhere to buy it from but I wonder since it is a fresh cheese if it is easy enough to make like ricotta is? I’ve made ricotta a few times now.

I found the queso I tried (that one time) to be creamier and smoother than ricotta. Is that correct?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-26 at 23:41

It’s not “granulated” (to describe it some way) like ricotta so yes it’s smoother, and depending from which area of Spain it may be creamier or firmer. This one is firmer. To be honest I’ve never thought about making the cheese myself because I can get it pretty easily here…
      You’ve made ricotta? That’s really cool!!
      I might put that in the bucket list I’ll be making 😉

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-05-27 at 00:06

Actually, the aim was to make mozzarella and halloumi, but ricotta is made with the leftover whey. Which reminds me, I should make halloumi again. I really love the stuff but it’s very expensive to buy. 1 piece is about $8NZ and I could eat a piece by myself very easily. When I make halloumi, I get about 6-8 pieces and it costs about $20NZ in ingredients.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 00:40

Wow. Now you’re seriously making me consider I need to make these cheeses and do the calculations too…

5. Patty Nguyen 2014-05-27 at 01:39

What a delicious treat, Sofia! Not to mention so pretty as well. 🙂

6. Lignum Draco 2014-05-27 at 02:40

That looks delicious. I could imagine being served that in a fine restaurant.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:20

Indeed! It would be certainly pleasing to be served something that good in a fine restaurant 😉

7. lapetitecasserole 2014-05-27 at 03:26

Thanks a lot Sophia, I told you… It’s impossible to do not have fun here!

8. randle 2014-05-27 at 05:18

So simple and so perfect! Did you serve the cheese with crackers?

And you about sold me on wanting to see the film Ida. I know what you mean about music meaning something particular to you. Today one of Beethoven’s violin romances came on the radio and I about dropped my whisk (I used to be a violinist). To me, having played a piece and really learned it before makes it so much more moving to listen to — especially when you’re not expecting it!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:23

This combination of a local fresh cheese with honey (and sometimes walnuts) is actually very Mediterranean! Each country around the Mediterranean would do it with their version of fresh cheese. However it’s not something served with crackers 🙂
      Playing the violin must be lovely! Yes, when we hear something and we’ve studied and played, it does make it so much more enjoyable indeed. xx

9. Priya Kedlaya 2014-05-27 at 06:25

Love the way the honey is glistening! And please do post a video or audio of your playing someday.. would love to hear you! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:25

I would if someone were to make a good recording and I didn’t make any traumatic mistakes halfway through 😉 The honey gives is a lovely look, doesn’t it! xx

10. Baking With Gab 2014-05-27 at 08:38

The film sounds beautiful! I love the look of the dessert as well 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:37

The film is gorgeous I hope you get to watch it, then try the dessert afterwards 😉

11. hoytapeo 2014-05-27 at 09:42

A simple recipe which seems really delicious 🙂

12. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-05-27 at 10:13

The movie sounds incredible, Sofia. Would like to see that some time.
    The cheese looks delicious, too. In Greece, it’s very common to drizzle (or pour!) honey over cheese and it tastes sublime. Love the addition of the walnuts, too! 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:35

Helen, this is the Spanish version of what you saw in Greece then, and yes it’s sublime! xx

13. Mabel Kwong 2014-05-27 at 11:36

Fresh cheese with a dessert. This is the first time I’ve heard of such a treat. Really glad you featured a dessert with nuts, as most of the time nuts are seen as snacks, not usually part of desserts. Not sure that nuts go together with something very sweet, but from your photo it certainly looks that way 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:34

This is actually very Mediterranean – only that each country around the Mediterranean does their more local version with their local equivalent cheese. And it’s so good!

14. Pingback: Ida // Spanish Queso Fresco with Honey & Walnuts | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

15. el gato con pajarita 2014-05-27 at 16:01

Qué delicia Sofia! Esto tiene una pinta increíble 🙂 Y que presentación más bonita y cuidada!
    Un besito guapa* ;P

16. chef mimi 2014-05-27 at 17:11

A beautiful presentation! I love that you’re also a pianist, along with your other talents!

17. Amanda 2014-05-27 at 17:55

Oh how cool that you heard your piece in a beautiful movie. I love when the arts collide, especially if it ends up in a postre asi!!! Que bonita. Me encanta queso fresco, y con miel es super delicioso! Es un postre muy sencillo, pero perfecto porque es muy fresco. Riiiico!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-27 at 22:28

Si que es super delicioso, y no solamente muy sencillo pero también muy rápido para hacer! Un abrazo!

18. Liz 2014-05-27 at 20:14

this looks amazing, Sofia. And I LOVE those types of independent films, too. This one looks especially intriguing. And your cheese dessert is the perfect finale. Divine 😀

19. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-05-28 at 02:17

Cheese, honey, seeds or nuts – such a luxurious combination. I love this on toast. 🙂

20. laurasmess 2014-05-29 at 10:52

I’ve eaten this kind of cheesy dessert before, usually with some crispbreads or fresh apple. So yum. Once I actually shoved the lot into the oven in a cast iron pan and then scooped out the molten, honey-infused, nutty cheese onto fresh baguette. I am drooling just thinking about it! As for the film, it sounds pretty wonderful. I find arthouse/independent films to be some of the most valuable around. So different to the blockbuster polished, cheesy Hollywood stuff. Thanks for sharing about this one, I’ll try and track it down xx

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 08:48

This is very Mediterranean so I hand’t thought of shoving it in the oven, but now that you say so, it’s a brilliant idea! Yes, with the blockbusters I often come out thinking wow that was a great spectacle, great entertainment, but I didn’t get which was the deep message. I’ll try and stick this cheese dessert in the oven next time! 🙂

21. pianolearner 2014-05-29 at 21:43

That sounds like a film right up my street. And I love that piece.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 08:50

Yes it’s a beautiful piece. However Mr. H. requested that may I not play it upon waking up in the morning, it’s too sad. Yes Wellywoman and Mr. H. could open a club for support for putting up with people like us 😉 The film is beautiful too.

22. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 01:20

Very nice piano piece by Bach Busoni, and the description of the movie sounds good, just have to find a place to see/rent the movie. It is actually possible in HK (they have many foreign movies at small theatres), although in the States I think it would be unlikely (would have to try to rent it). Nice dessert, and photo too!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 10:02

It is a nice piece indeed, I can play it beautifully now, so now I’m trying to memorise it. Really, I didn’t know it was tough to see foreign movies like that in the States. Seeing a movie like that in Hong Kong sounds wonderful though…

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 13:07

In the States, many of the small botique cinemas have been replaced by cinemas ran by large corporations who show only blockbusters… Rare to see anything else, but some cities have small arthouse theatres and that is always interesting. HK still has a few of those 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-05-30 at 13:43

The thought of watching a black and white independent film from a freezing country (I’ve been to Poland during winter twice, I can confirm it’s freezing!) in hot and stuffy Hong Kong walking in from a street with colourful Chinese signs all over the place between all those tall buildings sounds fabulous to me.

1. Dalo 2013 2014-05-30 at 14:04

Got a ticket for two, tomorrow 4pm (right after a dim sum late-lunch)…whaddya say?!? 🙂

23. davegon 2014-06-18 at 00:59

Just saw the movie a couple of days ago. I only heard of it through your post, so I sought out show times here. Learned it was not until a couple of weeks and patiently waited. I was not disappointed. What a brilliant, sad, touching movie! And what amazing cinematography. Thanks for posting about it.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-18 at 08:11

Thanks so much for telling me you watched it!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it too, it is brilliant 🙂

24. deliciouslynell 2014-06-18 at 09:08

That sounds absolutely delicious! And that sounds like a good film!