In and Around El Born {Barcelona in Black and White}

Despite the fact that I’m living in this beautiful city, with the exception of my recent Instagrammy posts, I hardly ever post photos of Barcelona. Actually just today we were discussing with friends how recently, for the locals living here, the huge tourism industry in Barcelona feels like it’s getting out of hand. Some of the most popular areas of Barcelona have now been converted into such tourist attractions that the locals try to avoid going there at all costs. It’s probably because of the (usually) great weather, beautiful buildings, great food, beach, mountains and that the city must be heavily publicised I suppose.

Whatever the case, I am living here and perhaps I should post some of the photos of my favourite corners and charming discoveries once in a while. These photos are from in and around the Born district, one of my favourite places in Barcelona.

Paseo del Born Barcelona

Alleyway in the Born area Barcelona

So many flowers

Table tennis in Parc de la Ciutadella Barcelona

Crossing to Arc de Triomf Barcleona

Passing the Ciutadella

Thank you for visiting!

(Visited 25 times, 1 visits today)

1. Jennifer 2014-06-09 at 19:42

You need to share more Barcelona photos, I’m loving them…and they’re making me want to visit, lol. Am I remembering right that there is a lot of Gaudi architecture there?

2. camerondgoodwin23 2014-06-10 at 03:14

Hey, nice post! I’m Cameron and I’m very interested in style, art and traveling. I think you would enjoy my posts; I would really appreciate a follow back! Thanks!

3. Dalo 2013 2014-06-10 at 04:53

Really enjoying these shots of Barcelona, and the second shot is fantastic ~ a great perspective and so well framed. Also, like the B&W ~ looks like these photos could be from any time period.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-10 at 09:05

The second shot is the actual Paseo del Born, one of my favourite places in Barcelona! Behind those trees at the end of the photo is one of my favourite churches, the Santa Maria del Mar. I’ll have to remember to photograph it some day… That’s the thing with old cities, if there were no people dressed modernly in the middle of it all, the place would look like from any time period.

4. Patty Nguyen 2014-06-10 at 05:39

Lovely photos, Sofia. Thank you for sharing!

P.S. I made your tapioca and coconut milk dish today! It is so good! And easy! But how do you stop yourself from eating it all in one sitting?!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-10 at 08:50

Thanks Patty, Oohh how nice of you for telling me, indeed it’s so easy and good! So happy you made it! Don’t ask… haha

5. Mabel Kwong 2014-06-10 at 11:48

I like the black and white take on this set of images. How timeless Barcelona and its buildings and people are. Didn’t know that many locals are shying away from the city, that’s a pity. I find it strange there’s a ping-pong or table-tennis arena in public. It would be so easy to lose the balls and so hard to go chasing after them! And what charming laneways you have, like out of a movie set 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-10 at 11:52

Well they shy away from certain parts of the city. Like the famous La Rambla, gosh not even I will go there unless I MUST pass through it to get to where I need to. Apart from that it is a charming city, and yes, things like seeing ping pong areas in public make it fun!

6. mandylee@ladyandpups 2014-06-10 at 13:00

I am weeping… weeping with jealousy and bitterness at your life. May I just say, with friendliness and good intentions, I hate you…

7. Karen 2014-06-10 at 13:47

It is a beautiful city and I’m happy that you have shared some of your favorite places with us.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-10 at 15:26

Thanks Karen, hopefully I’ll take my camera out and about more often and do this more!

8. whatjessicabakednext 2014-06-10 at 19:00

Wow, Barcelona is such a beautiful city! Lovely snapshots- the street pics are my favourite. Definitely putting Barcelona down on my bucket list of places to visit! 🙂

9. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-06-10 at 23:46

Wonderful photos that evoke such lovely memories of Spain, especially photos #1 and #2–looks like Andalucía. But then I have also visited this gorgeous city, even if just for 3 days…