Spicy Lime Wakame & Tuna Noodles {W for Wakame}

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do.

– Henry Ford

Do you not mind swimming in the sea when there is a ton of seaweed underneath you? Perhaps it’s the fear of the unknown, of what may be lurking between the seaweed, but I don’t particularly like it. Perhaps it’s because I’ve lived in Australia, where you can crash into a shark or a mortally poisonous jellyfish. Or because I’ve lived in New Caledonia, where you can encounter small but nevertheless poisonous sea snakes.

I remember swimming at the beach with my brother. I was swimming up on the surface. He was under the water with his goggles, when he suddenly pops up and really excitedly says: there are lots of sea snakes. He goes back underwater to have a good look at them. I swim back to the shore.

Don’t get me wrong, I love diving and snorkelling. I just don’t like it when I know there are poisonous creatures, or you can’t see what’s under the seaweed.

We are up to W on our ingredient challenge and have decided to cook something with wakame (seaweed).

Wakame {dried}

Luckily I found the wakame pretty easily. It smells amazing when it’s dry, just like the sea. I decided to make wakame with unilateral tuna and noodles with spicy lime sauce. Hang on, unilateral tuna? Well I was going to use raw tuna but wasn’t brave enough to do it in the end, so I decided to cook it lightly on one side.

Sauce for the wakame and tune noodles

Lime and scallions

500g tuna, 1/3 cup dried wakame, noodles, 3 scallions, 1 lime, 1 teaspoon chili flakes, salt, white pepper, 3 teaspoons soya sauce, 1 drop olive oil

Rinse the wakame with some water. Put the wakame in a bowl with water. Leave it to rehydrate for about 5 minutes.

Boil some water in a pot. When boiling add some noodles. Boil for a few minutes. Remove and drain the noodles.

Cut the scallions in pieces.

Mix the juice of one lime, the chili flakes, some salt, white pepper and soya sauce.

Heat the olive oil in a pan. Cut the tune into about 3 cm pieces. Cook them for a couple of minutes on one side.

Arrange the noodles in each plate. Place the wakame on top. Place the tuna on top, then the scallions and pour the sauce on top of everything.

Wakame and tuna noodle recipe

I would like to make an invitation to anyone else that would like to join us in our ingredient challenge. Each month we go through the letters of the alphabet and choose an ingredient starting with that letter. We choose a day and time to publish it. If you are interested in joining in, please send me a comment or an email. My email can be found in my about page.

We had a great time last month when we did V for vanilla. We made such complementary dishes and drinks that it was such a pity that we were all far away instead of having a real party in the same room.

Now it’s time to check out what the other cooks have cooked with wakame:

food for fun

Ngan made it

1. Liz 2014-06-25 at 23:14

oh so pretty 🙂 Love your photos–great colors, you bring the food to life! The spice would take this over the top. Yum! And the lime… What’s not to love here?

I think I’d be with you in swimming to shore when there are “sea snakes” about 😉

2. Ngan R. 2014-06-25 at 23:27

Unilateral tuna! Love it, I’m too chicken to use raw tuna so will make mine unilateral too when I make this dish. I bet the spicy lime flavors go really well with the wakame and tuna. I don’t like swimming in the ocean that much, partly because of sea creatures, but mostly because I am afraid of strong currents. I’m trying to think of “x” ingredients – it might take a while!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-27 at 10:29

Yes we invented the word unilateral tuna… The spicy lime flavours did go really well! Ah, ok, thats a few of us already that are “cautious” (lets not say chicken) of strange sea creatures 🙂 Yes, x is challenging…

3. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-06-26 at 00:15

Oh, this looks absolutely delicious! I will have to go hunting for dried seaweed…my husband would love this dish, especially with the raw tuna. We have raw tuna–sushi! With a little tiny dab of soy sauce, wow! When we lived in Spain, I was able to swim in our gated community pool. It wasn’t a long ways, but I did swim and dip underwater. For me, that was an accomplishment! But lately I have been cooking and baking and enjoying it tremendously! Which really helps when you consider yourself a gourmet…more than likely, I’m just a gourmand! LOL!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-27 at 10:33

Wow I love raw tuna sushi, and you make it! I haven’t been brave enough to make it yet, though I will do at some point! Lucky you had a community pool in Spain, that must be perfect in summer.

4. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-06-26 at 00:25

I checked out both Ngan’s page & Liz’s page–wow. Oh. My. Goodness. Especially Ngan’s two recipes…sigh, I will have to ATTEMPT this sometime soon…

5. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-06-26 at 01:42

I love reading about your childhood memories… and I adore this dish. Tuna, wakame and soy sauce with a hit of bright citrus… one can’t go wrong. Your recipes and photos just keep getting even better. You have a blogging gift, my friend! Besos!

6. Amanda 2014-06-26 at 03:59

This looks so delicious! I really do love the flavor of almost raw and raw tuna. Lol re unilateral. I just got back from a few days at the beach and I can tell you, you really don’t know what you’re stepping on. The seaweed is a little off putting, but what’s even more bizarre is the fish that come up and touch your feet. What a perfect meal to enjoy by the sea.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-27 at 11:30

Apart from the seaweed, I hope you had a wonderful time! I love the flavour of raw tuna too. Do you make it?

1. Amanda 2014-06-27 at 15:05

I’m too scared. I usually will sear it very quickly. I did have a good time. Much needed. Seaweed and all!

7. Bunny Eats Design 2014-06-26 at 06:49

I went to a high school on a lake. It had seaweed in it and and rumour was there were also eels in there. I never saw an eel, but it still gave me the heebie jeebies to swim amoung the slimy weeds. Now if there was any risk of sharks or snakes, I would be outta there.

I have snorkled in water with snakes and sharks. I didn’t see the shark, but my husband did and he warned us all to get out of the water. Snakes seemed to be more afraid of us than we were of them so we both kept a healthy distance away.

Your turna noodles looks stunning and very healthy too!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-27 at 11:32

Gosh, swimming with sharks, where was this? Your husband might have had quite a sensation at seeing a shark while snorkelling!

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-06-30 at 00:55

This was in Niue, not considered shark infested waters at all. We got out of the water pronto and didn’t didn’t swim in that particular spot again.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:27

Oh I see, so there wasn’t supposed to be any sharks there… lucky that nothing happened. Have a lovely week Genie!

8. Mabel Kwong 2014-06-26 at 12:15

Ah…you fear of swimming in the sea because you never know when something will grab your legs 😉 That reminds me. When I was about four I was swimming in the Australian ocean near the shore. Suddenly a big wave came and washed me out to sea, and I remember the shore getting smaller and smaller as I drifted further away into the unknown ocean out there. That’s one reason why I don’t like swimming the sea. Second, I don’t like the feeling of wet seaweed brushing on my legs!

That looks like one dish, your photo is so crisp. Love it. But I see that it’s a dry dish, without sauce?

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-26 at 12:19

My goodness, what a scary experience! How did you get back?
      Well it’s not a thick sauce and it sunk to the bottom of the plate…

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-06-26 at 12:27

Not too sure how I got back, it was a very sketchy memory. I think someone was kind enough to guide me back to shore. My parents didn’t look too worried as I was drifting away…I wonder why lol.

Usually I don’t like too much sauce with my meals. Like salads. I wish there were more “hot” salads around as I prefer hot meals. Now I’m the one rambling… 😉

9. Sue 2014-06-26 at 17:20

Would never think to use lime with wakame, but I’ll eat any seaweed just about any old way. How creative and fun!!!

10. Patty Nguyen 2014-06-30 at 01:54

“Crash into sharks”…this made me laugh out loud! Also, sea snakes? No, thank you! What a delightful dish for your challenge, Sofia. Everything looks great. Except I’m not even brave enough to eat seared tuna. 😉

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:22

Hahaha crash into sharks, or sharks opening their mouths and going straight at us,… I had even forgotten about jellyfish when I wrote this (yuck!). But this recipe can be done with fully cooked tuna too 🙂

11. Dalo 2013 2014-06-30 at 08:03

Wow, that looks so good, refreshing and healthy…highlighted by your fine photography as well 🙂
    And truly love the story of your brother & you snorkeling ~ funny and perfect for siblings!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 13:08

Fine photography, haha, you see I had a hard time choosing the photos for this, because there were many photos in angles that got some tuna pieces with red chili flakes on the pink side of the tuna and it looked pretty gross as if the tuna was bleeding.
      That story is only one of the milder “my brother – dangerous creatures” stories 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-06-30 at 14:54

Ha, ha…would love to hear more stories about you & your brother, they must be good. Have a good week!