Amarilli {My First Time Accompanying a Soprano}

Amarilli, mia bella,

non credi, o del mio cor dolce deslo,

d’esser tu l’amor mio?

Crédito pur; e se timor t’assale,

dubitar non ti vale.

Aprimi il petto e vedrai scritto in core:

amarilli è ‘l mio amore.

– Giullio Caccini (1515-1618)

We recently had another piano party with our teachers and some students. Apart from playing my usual Chopin kind of pieces, I accompanied a friend who is a soprano. It’s the first time I’ve ever done this so it was a very exciting project for me. It was great fun, and made a lovely contrast to all the pure piano playing that usually happens in our parties – without taking into account that after a few glasses of cava later on we might play and sing, but in a rather different style.

To be truthful, the word project is too far fetched because on my behalf my part was easy. I played it about 3 times before we got together for the first time to practice one week before the performance. Only one week before was risky indeed. Luckily we totally clicked straight away, and even our first practice run playing and singing it together sounded great.

We played Amarilli by Giulio Caccini. You can listen to this version on YouTube also for piano and soprano by Margarita Diaz. I hope you enjoy it. The piece is a love story.  A young man is in love with Amarilli, he says, believe me Amarilli, my beautiful. You can open my chest and you will see it is written: Amarilli my love.

Apparently there is an earlier version of this piece where when he opens his chest, somebody stabs him in the heart. Our version has a happier ending.

Pictured above are some cookies brought in by one of the students. They were handmade by herself. Aren’t they gorgeous? I can confirm that they tasted just as wonderful as they look.

1. Darya 2014-06-29 at 22:25

How lovely. I wish we could meet, then I could sing (I’m also a soprano), and you could accompany me. And then we could talk about food, travels, Northern France, Barcelona, and all kinds of other interests we seem to have in common!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:24

Really? It would be lovely to have you as a neighbour then, smell nice cooking and hear beautiful practicing. Actually, I should be in Lille for a few days in August, in case you might be around too…

1. Darya 2014-06-30 at 17:41

It depends when you are planning to come, but I will probably be in Lille most of August this year (though I might escape for a few days to the countryside at some point and visit my parents). It would be fun to meet for drinks or coffee or drinks at some point! Let me know when you are there and if you have time!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 17:46

I should be there at the beginning of August, not sure exact dates yet! But I’ll let you know.. then I’ll have to practice my French 😉

2. Sunny 2014-06-29 at 22:31

Hey Sofia, this sounds like fun! I’m glad your version has a happy ending though. It’s so brutal otherwise!

The cookies look delicious!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:26

Yeah, the other version is brutal… The cookies are so artistic, the lady that made them must have had patience!

3. Dalo 2013 2014-06-30 at 07:45

Congratulations, how great to have something click so well, accompany a singer on the piano…pretty impressive Sofia. There is always this feeling of serenity and achievement when “in a zone” no matter what the venue (sports, music, writing, work…). Very nice, and the cookies look awesome ~ a talent group you have. Cheers.

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:30

It was lucky that we hit it off straight away, because this was only 1 week beforehand… otherwise she would have had to sing it with her teacher. I was very happy to do that because I’ve never played with other instruments or with a singer, and it’s something I’ve recently realised I would like to do, as piano is usually a very solitary instrument.
      The cookies were brilliant!

4. Pingback: Amarilli {My First Time Accompanying a Soprano} | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

5. Mabel Kwong 2014-06-30 at 11:32

The cookies look so good, and a good fit for the piano party. What flavour were they? Congrats on another performance, Sofia. I bet everyone was very welcoming and basically there to be supportive and enjoy the music. You seem to be getting more comfortable with performing in front of a group. Maybe next time to an audience of a thousand 😉 This post makes me want to go and play some piano…my gosh it’s been a while since I touched my piano at home. No time 🙂

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-06-30 at 11:36

The cookies tasted like shortbread 🙂 yum! Actually Mabel, it’s funny you say about being comfortable in front of a group because apart from playing with the soprano, I played a few more pieces myself and I did not get an ounce of nervousness, nothing at all, I have no idea why it turned out like that this time. Very comfortable indeed. Nah, just find 10 minutes one day and give it a try 😉

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-06-30 at 11:37

Ah, I guessed right then. You also sounded happy in this post about your performance, so I figured. Or maybe you picked the correct pieces, or you loved the songs. Maybe it was a combination of all these things 🙂 Haha, we’ll see if I give it a try…soon 😉

6. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-06-30 at 16:55

That piece of music is beautiful, Sofia. And so are these cookies – genius!

7. pianolearner 2014-06-30 at 17:36

Good food, good song, good company, and no doubt Great piano, what more could you ask for? 🙂

8. The Sicilian Housewife 2014-06-30 at 18:29

Oh you’re awsome! those biccies look fantastic!!!
    I really miss playing music with friends. most of my frien ds here are not musical at all, the only musical ones are a professional concert pianist and a professional cellist, so I am WAAAAY too embarrassed to hoot my clarinet in front of them!!

1. Sofia // Papaya Pieces 2014-07-01 at 00:31

Well my teachers are professional concert pianists too, but they teach me so there’s no point of me being too embarrassed to play in front of them! Do you still play the clarinet?.. even if just for yourself and for your family – even if they are “obliged” to listen, like in my household..

9. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2014-07-01 at 02:39

Thank you so much for enriching my life, young lady! Ah, the version of “Amarilli” on youtube was lovely…wish I could have heard you. And wish I could taste the divine looking cookies!

10. Amanda 2014-07-01 at 22:16

Oh how cool! What an awesome “project”. I love your musical interests. Keep at it!

11. Liz 2014-07-02 at 05:48