Anchovy, Rosemary Cheese and Lentil Salad

The other day I had a WhatsApp conversation with my brother about cooking. He told me that he isn’t really good at making interesting salads. My advice was to just thrown in non-typical salad ingredients. And then there, you’re done.

My brother said he likes anchovies. I had this anchovy recipe ready to post, so this one is dedicated to him.

Anchovy, rosemary cheese and lentil salad

Anchovy, Rosemary Cheese and Lentil Salad

I must admit I cheated here because the lentils are from a jar. As are the anchovies. Spain produces great seafood and legumes in jars. They are great to use for when we are in a rush.

A couple of months ago we discovered our new favourite cheese shop in our neighbourhood. Apart from a larger variety of Spanish cheeses than there is in a supermarket, they also specialise in French cheeses. The staff are super friendly, helpful and don’t doubt to give you a piece to try there in case you are in doubt. Therefore recently we have been trying out different interesting cheeses, and this cheese with rosemary was one of our latestย findings. You can eat it with or without the rosemary. I prefer it with theย rosemary as it gives it a stronger herby taste.

Anchovies, rosemary cheese, lentils, lettuce, black pepper, sherry vinegar, olive oil

Wash and cut the salad. Drain the lentils and anchovies. Cut the cheese into cubes. Arrange everything on a plate. Sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper. Pour some sherry vinegar and olive oil on top.

Rosemary cheese

Star anchovies

1. polianthus 2014-08-02 at 19:07

hi Sofia – I can guess this one – lentils, anchovies and rosemary cheese ๐Ÿ™‚ – looks like a very interesting combination, isnt it great when you can make your family members happy with food?!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:32

I think you guessed it because I wrote it, otherwise the photos were too mysterious to show what they are ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. polianthus 2014-08-07 at 19:36

you think :)? ….:) you might indeed be right!

2. Dalo 2013 2014-08-02 at 19:36

Great photo, looks good ~ but the most important thing is what a good sister you are to your brother ๐Ÿ™‚ Cheers, and enjoy your weekend!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:39

Haha I’ll get you to remind my brother that once in a while ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you’ve had a great week!

3. Sunny 2014-08-02 at 19:55

Hmm I’m not big on anchovy (too salty), but that cheese looks yum!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:39

The cheese itself is very tasty, then the rosemary just makes it three times as much!

4. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward 2014-08-02 at 20:45

Sofia, we have imported rosemary manchego from Spain at my market, and I love it. ๐Ÿ™‚ The lentils and anchovies are a wonderful accompaniment to the briny cheese and earthy herb. I love the sound of this!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:34

Really Shanna? Thats great that you can get it. Rosemary cheese is actually quite hard to find around where I live (but I’ve found the great place to get it). xx

5. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-03 at 08:05

Salads are certainly “boring” foods compared to something like a burger or noodles. But you’re right. Throwing in non-typical-salad foods into a salad can spice it up. Maybe next time throw in some peanut butter, or salmon. Maybe long beans. But then again, you CAN put anything into a salad if you wanted to ๐Ÿ™‚

6. milkandbun 2014-08-03 at 10:39

I wish I could get that rosemary cheese here.. Looks so good! Love salads!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:34

Haha I love Mark Twain quotes in general, they are usually quite funny and ironic ๐Ÿ™‚

7. dedy oktavianus pardede 2014-08-03 at 15:55

Wow, nice kicking savoury lentil salad!!!
    never had rosemarry cheese before, it must be smells great….

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:35

Oh it does smell great ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Ngan R. 2014-08-04 at 17:34

I love this salad! Packed with flavors I love like rosemary cheese, lentil and anchovies. We’ve just started eating lots of lentil salads again and anchovy salads (separately), so I think it’s time we combined all these flavors into one salad. Presentation is beautiful, Sofia!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:35

I nearly named the salad the “star” anchovy salad because of the presentation ๐Ÿ˜‰ I hope you’ve tried them combined xx

9. Liz 2014-08-05 at 23:38

that has to be the most interesting salad I’ve ever seen! I would totally try it ๐Ÿ™‚ Agree that the best salads are combinations of not-so-traditional ingredients.

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:36

High five to not so traditional ingredients for salads then ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-08-06 at 02:29

I know a lot of people are ‘funny’ about anchovies, Sofia, but I happen to love them! All the better if you got everything out of a jar for this. Why not if the produce is so good? ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:37

Thats the word Helen, funny ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-08-06 at 08:01

I find this combination just perfect! I love each and every ingredient you’ve chosen.
    Have a lovely week, Sofia!

1. Sofia 2014-08-07 at 15:38

A que si? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have a great week you too, or great weekend I could say now Rosa! xx

12. Tala Ghalayini 2014-08-07 at 18:16

i’ve never tried rosemary cheese, adding that to the list right now!

13. Guillermina Stover 2014-08-08 at 20:33

What a beautiful salad! I love anchovies, so I will have to try it on my guys…! Oh, and I just learned about WhatsApp from a relative…hmmm, sounds interesting…

1. Sofia 2014-08-08 at 20:36

Its great, I have chats with my brother nearly every day with it, and sending photos and whatnot… and he lives in Australia!

14. Guillermina Stover 2014-08-08 at 20:34

Oh, and I “borrowed” the quote you posted below by Victor Hugo, which is delightful!!! Used it on Facebook…

1. Sofia 2014-08-08 at 20:37

Yes I saw it, I figured you borrowed it and was so proud to see it ๐Ÿ™‚ Now that I know that at least one person in this world has scrolled down the page of my blog enough to see it, I might change to some different quote soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Patty Nguyen 2014-08-18 at 02:22

You had me at anchovies. Great looking salad, Sofia!