S.O.S. to my Photographer Friends

My heart is heavy. I’m devastated. OK, I might be exaggerating but I’m only half joking. My camera is broken, again.

A few days ago it started making photos with less colour. They weren’t overexposed. They just had less colour. I began to get a bit worried. At the beginning I thought I had accidentally switched on some weird function. Then I though that maybe there was something to do with the lighting. I began to look through lots of photographic forums but nothing seemed to make sense. Finally, today it only made plain white photos with nothing in them. The click made various clicking noises, as if various photos were taken at the same time. Weird indeed.

I’m not an expert but I think it has an electronic problem this time. I’ll have to check out about getting it fixed. If you have any idea what it is, do give me a shout.

For now I’ll be usingย my iphone, which luckily has a fabulous camera. I also haven’t finished looking through the hundreds of photos I downloaded the other day either. That should keep me busy for a while.

Meanwhile, just in case I need to search for another one, for all my photograph lovingย friends out there, it would be great if you could please share what camera you’ve been enjoying lately, and why.

1. dedy oktavianus pardede 2014-08-09 at 18:17

ow, i’m sorry to hear that,
    well, i guess you should considering to purchased the brand new instuments for the cameras or purchased the whole brand new ones once you’ve spending more than what needed to brought a brand new ones…..
    i hope you made a good decisions !!!

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 00:22

I hope I get it fixed above all! Have a great weekend Dedy

2. Bunny Eats Design 2014-08-09 at 20:13

I don’t know if your camera has the same problem, but I have a problem with my Nikon slr that comes only in hot weather. The shutter release sticks open a fraction too long when I take a photo meaning my photos are over exposed (white photos). I realized I haven’t had this problem in a while but it is the middle of winter here. To compensate, I turn my camera exposure settings way down, as if you need to under expose a photo. Leaving my camera standing in a cool spot for a few hours also returns it back to normal. I have taken my camera to the Nikon repair shop but they were not familiar with this problem and they could not replicate the problem at the time. I am guessing there is oil or moisture inside which effects the shutter release somehow when my camera gets too hot. I hope you figure it out, we get so attached to our cameras because they are familiar and accustomed to our hands.

1. Sofia 2014-08-09 at 20:19

Thanks for your feedback Genie, I really appreciate it. I’m kind of worried that it might be moisture or something like that, as the other day I took it out during some humid conditions, it was even slightly drizzling. It’s summer here but I’m in the north of France at the moment where it’s even cool on some days, and it was rather chilly this morning when it went point out white. I actually did try moving it to a function that avoids overexposure when the lighting is bright, and it didn’t work. Now you’ve made me think about the humidity, I’m going to take it out of it’s case in case it “dries” if that is a problem…

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-08-10 at 01:20

Yes, drying it as much as possible out is definitely worth a shot.

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 13:47

Here’s an update: after keeping it out of its case all night (and still is out) today the photos are nowhere near being back to normal, but there is an improvement over yesterday when they were just plain white! Hopefully it was moisture and will dry out. The fact that it won’t stop raining though and is really humid today is not helping… xx

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-08-10 at 23:14

That is promising. Good luck!

It is cold but damp here, we have our dehumidifier on most days. If I had the same camera troubles I would put my camera on top of our dehumidifier.

3. pianolearner 2014-08-09 at 21:16

Oh not again! I have had good experiences with Sony. Currently we have a Canon, SLRs can be a bit of pain as they are bulky and you need different lenses, so you need to spend more money and find that you might not carry it all the time.

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 00:22

Hmm I don’t think I’m expert enough for a SLR, (ok I’m not expert at all) so I’m not ready for all this business of using different lenses. Maybe one day I’ll understand them ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for your input though!

1. pianolearner 2014-08-10 at 14:36

Yes SLR are great for some photos, but with the extra capability you lose the convenience of a compact, or even ‘bridge’. So I wouldn’t recommend them for most people.

1. Sofia 2014-08-17 at 17:00

Update, I’ve been doing some investigation online these days and I think the next time I buy a camera it might be a DSLR… My investigations continue!

1. pianolearner 2014-08-19 at 23:56

If you want a Nikon the D3200 is a great camera.

If you want a slightly less bulky body (the camera, that is!) then the Canon EOS 100d is a good one.

for both of them make sure you get the ‘image stabilized’ kit lens (its called VR by Nikon and OS by Canon)

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 23:59

Thanks for your recommendations ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be investigating those now…

4. lapetitecasserole 2014-08-09 at 21:37

I’m sorry Sofia to hear that! I have a Canon, but I’m not so expert with camera’s problems… I hope you can solve them as soon as possibile !

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 00:24

Thanks, I’ve been investigating Canons and other brands today, but I hope it gets resolved too because I love this camera!

5. miwa theresa 2014-08-09 at 23:14

I’m so sorry to hear that!! I’ve had two broken cameras in the past couple of years and it really made me so sad ๐Ÿ™ Devastated is no exaggeration! I’m not an expert at all so unfortunately I can’t help you out with possible solutions. So sorry. But as for equipment, I’ve been using a Canon 70D and a small Olympus EM10. I also have an antique Leica film camera that’s lovely but I’m still working on mastering how to use that one. Good luck!!

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 00:30

Yes, my heart really was heavy this morning when it happened… Oh I saw your Leica in your photos, it’s so beautiful! (maybe one day in the far future I’ll get one). Thanks for your feedback! xx

6. Isabelle 2014-08-09 at 23:41

I am so sorry to hear about that! I have bought the Canon EOS 600D which is pretty decent with the standard kit lens. Before that I used a Sony NEX-3 which was fine too. They’re both not TOO expensive compared to what some cameras retail for…

Good luck!

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 00:35

Hmm thanks for your feedback Isabelle. I’ve been looking at the Canon website today, amongst others. You’re not the first to suggest Sony, so I’ll have a look too. Have a lovely weekend!

7. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-10 at 08:23

Oh no, that is terrible to hear, Sofia ๐Ÿ™ I do hope you get it fixed, especially if it’s still under warranty. I have a Fuji X camera, I have no idea how to use it but I hope it lasts me a while. So far, I really like the photos you’ve been taking on your travels. Looking forward to seeing more ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 13:45

I’m not sure it’s still under warranty and I’m in France right now, which just makes it more harder to sort out. I’ll be posting more photos ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-10 at 14:44

If it’s not under warranty, time to get a new camera! Looking forward to more photos, as usual ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Sunny 2014-08-10 at 14:21

Ouch ouch. Not a photographer here, but I have a Canon 650D with a Sigma 17-70MM lens. It’s a good combo for beauty blogging, but your needs might be different. So sorry to hear you’ve been having so many problems with yours ๐Ÿ™

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 20:50

Now I’m thinking it has humidity… I’m trying to “dry” it out (by keeping it out of its case). Hopefully it will pull through, fingers crossed! I’ve been looking on the Canon and other websites just in case… Thanks for your feedback Sunny!

9. Fig & Quince 2014-08-10 at 16:18

Awful! Sorry

10. chef mimi 2014-08-10 at 16:41

Oh no! I have a small point-and-shoot Canon that works pretty well and is convenient, and then I have a large Canon Rebel that I use for food photography and vacations, when I’m willing to look like a tourist! But other than that I have no camera knowledge. There are lots of websites that rate cameras, and Amazon is good for ratings. Good luck!

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 20:52

Haha willing to look like a tourist? I think I often look like a tourist in Barcelona. After years of living there I still walk around looking at the beautiful rooftops and photographing them. Waiters in restaurants and shopkeepers directly speak to me in English assuming I’m a tourist…
      Thanks for your input. I hadn’t thought about checking out the ratings in Amazon. xx

11. Guillermina Stover 2014-08-11 at 20:26

I’m a NOVICE/AMATEUR photographer so my camera is a point & shoot Nikon Coolpix. I’ve been a novice/amateur photographer all my life, though, yet I can’t imagine life without a camera–so I feel for you…

1. Sofia 2014-08-12 at 12:08

I’ll look that camera up too ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Dalo 2013 2014-08-13 at 19:59

Bummer about your camera, but you are right in saying that you still have your phone camera…these days, it is amazing how great of quality photos iPhones shoot these days. I’d almost be tempted to just rely on a nice phone camera these days ~ so much easier and with such quality. I have also have a small Canon compact which is excellent (it takes a lot of beatings and still produces great shots), but hardly ever use it as I have my phone camera for many shots, and if I go out shooting then use my big guy to shoot ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-08-13 at 20:14

I have the iphone 5c and I have to say I’m pretty amazed by it. I am missing my real camera tremendously (it’s not showing signs of recovery) for the great macros and the way it captures the textures in close ups. I think if I need to end up buying another it may be a Canon. With what you say, I take it that apart from great its also sturdy?

1. Dalo 2013 2014-08-13 at 20:18

Canon has great cameras, and you are right ~ for macros I think you need one ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-08-13 at 23:30

Again, yes, I miss my camera!

13. Patty Nguyen 2014-08-18 at 02:15

Oh dear, this is what you were talking about. Camera problems are devastating. I hope you’re able to figure out the problem soon. And if all else fails, you get to shop for a new camera! We can chat more about that later if you want. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-08-18 at 13:35

If all fails and I must get a new one – which I hope not because I don’t really have that much cash to spend at the moment – (or later when I want to anyway) I’ll be consulting you about it ๐Ÿ™‚