Yellow Plum and Banana Jam

“I wish life was not so short, he thought. Languages take such a time, and so do all the thing one wants to know about.”

– R. J. J. Tolkein

Oh the joys of trying to speak French in France. Whenever we are in France, Mr. H. wants me to speak in French. The request is entirely sensible. I’ve got to the point that I understand 95% of everything, though I sometimes assume I don’t understand what is being said. Sometimes I’m right, I don’t understand.

Learning a language can be funny, especially when the same words have different meanings.

We are going for a walk, for a ballade. Someone is walking funny. Qu’est que c’est que tu à avec ton pied? I ask, what is wrong with your foot?

With the answer given to me, I assume he has a small stone in his shoe. Well take out the stone then, I say. But no stone removing action happens. Plus everyone looks at me with some confusion. I repeat to take out the stone.

Mr. H. tells me that there is no stone, there is a bombilla, which is a lightbulb in Spanish. This is strange. I imagine a lightbulb but it is impossible, your foot wouldn’t fit in your shoe if you had a lightbulb there. Besides, why would you want to put a lightbulb in your shoe. A lightbulb? I ask. Yes, a lightbulb.

With bit of clarification, I learn that in French the word for blister is ampoule, which means both blister and lightbulb. That was my word for the day. Ampoule.

After that I walked around too much with some nearly but not so new high heel shoes. Now I’m the one who has lightbulbs on my feet.

Yellow plum and banana jam recipe

Yellow Plum and Banana Jam Recipe

My first intention was to make some jam using some yellow plums. As I usually make fun flavour combinations, I was sort of excited to make a mono-fruit jam at last.

However, after adding the sugar, I made a quick quality control tasting test, and found that it was still rather sour. I didn’t want to add anymore sugar, so I looked around the kitchen to see what was on hand and added a couple of bananas to smooth out the sourness. It did the trick.

Ingredients

1kg yellow plums, 2 bananas, 500g sugar

Wash the plums. Cut them in halves and remove the seeds. Put them in a large pot. I put them through the blender first so that the cooking time would be quicker. Bring to boil and let it boil for about 5 minutes while stirring. Bring down to low heat and cook for about half an hour, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes while stirring.

1. Sofia 2014-08-11 at 10:56

I still have another jar left 😉

1. Sunny 2014-08-10 at 20:45

Haha hey, now come to think of it, I didn’t know how to say blister in French!

I saw some yellow plums recently, but didn’t get any! I’m still very much on a cherry kick, but I’d eat that jam 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-10 at 20:53

Now you know it’s “lightbulb” 😉
      I’m flipping at how much better the plums and apricots are in France compared to in Bcn… and I haven’t tried any cherries here yet! xx

2. emmabarrett1508 2014-08-10 at 22:26

Love the Tolkein quote. This jam looks delicious. I have never thought about making jam from bananas before. Thank you for pushing me out of my jam making comfort zone. Have a great week. Emma.

1. Sofia 2014-08-11 at 10:54

Hi Emma! I had a jam making conversation with another blogging friend awhile back with regards to using bananas in jam (and then investigated more on the matter). Bananas go great in jam. It may be tempting to put overripe bananas there thinking it is more sweet and more mushed up anyway, but in fact it seems that overripe bananas loose their pectin content and the jam works out way better when they are not overripe. You could give it a go. Have a lovely week

3. pianolearner 2014-08-11 at 00:04

I wish I knew more than ‘My name is’ in french….

1. Sofia 2014-08-11 at 10:56

Now you know how to say lightbulb and blister. Ampoule is pronounced the same as in English 🙂 … which in turn in English are those little glass jars where injectable medicines are kept inside…

1. pianolearner 2014-08-11 at 19:28

It makes sense because to make both those glass medicine jars and the lightbulbs you would make a blister/bubble of glass…

4. Liz 2014-08-11 at 06:29

Awesome story about blisters and lightbulbs and awesome jam recipe. Looks amazing 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-11 at 10:57

I’m glad you enjoyed it Liz 🙂

5. Pingback: Yellow Plum and Banana Jam | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

6. Ginger 2014-08-11 at 15:45

Lovely jam – and great example! I am forever stumbling over metaphors and euphemisms between our languages, too 😉

7. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-08-11 at 17:25

That was so funny! Languages have a life of their own and their own sense of property…
    I love your new jam recipe almost as much as I love languages… 😉
    I hope you enjoyed your trip to France (though I’m positive you did!)

1. Sofia 2014-08-11 at 23:16

How many languages do you speak Rosa? I’m still in France 🙂 and it’s lovely!

8. Jennifer 2014-08-11 at 19:04

I always learn something new when I stop by! The jam sounds wonderful 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-12 at 19:40

You’re too kind Jennifer xx

9. Amanda 2014-08-12 at 17:25

LMAO re languages. I know how you feel. That’s actually pretty funny. How great to be in France though experiencing that frustrating language problem. What a delicious jam! I love both fruits. Wow. I’ll have to give this one a shot.

1. Sofia 2014-08-12 at 19:38

Yes, it’s a nice frustrating problem to be in France and struggle speaking 🙂 Besos!

10. Dalo 2013 2014-08-13 at 19:55

It is so fun to read this post…learning & speaking a new language opens up so much ~ new ideas and thoughts like a “lightbulb” going on (and off) when learning something new 🙂 And with French, there is nothing quite like the sound of the language, especially from a lady as it is almost a poetic sound. Being able to speak/communicate in so many languages is a gift you have, it is wonderful.

1. Sofia 2014-08-13 at 20:11

You’re too kind. As for making a poetic sound, I guess that’s not me as they always laugh at my accent 🙂 I have to remind them my accent is very mild, it could be way more English..

1. Dalo 2013 2014-08-13 at 20:17

I imagine a Spanish/French/English accent all rolled into one. Unique and special 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-13 at 23:29

Yeah, weird. The other person in the world with the same accents is my brother 🙂

11. Patty Nguyen 2014-08-18 at 02:13

Hahah, oh my gosh, Sofia. You are so funny. I am sorry about the lightbulbs on your feet. But no worries since you have such beautiful jam to eat!