Croissants: Straight vs. Crab Shaped

At last I’ve had some croissants for breakfast this morning in France. There were no fireworks, nor did gorgeous light pink butterflies beat their wings in joy all around me. In fact, it wasn’t the magical experience I was irrationally hoping for.

Just in case you are disappointed, please don’t be because the brioche sucrée that I had afterwards was truly amazing.

There is a difference between straight croissants and crab shaped croissants

This morning I learnt that the straight croissants, like the ones I ate pictured here, are made without butter. The crab shaped croissants are the ones made with butter. Fancy that. I had always thought that the shapes were due to how the baker felt like making them, but apparently it’s a not so secret code about their butter content.

Next time I’ll have the crab shaped ones. I’m sure those will make my croissant loving heart flutter. Which ones would you prefer?

1. Jennifer 2014-08-18 at 14:47

Croissants without butter? is that even allowed??

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:08

Well after writing this I learnt that the butterless ones contain margarine… no wonder I didn’t quite like it!

2. Ngan R. 2014-08-18 at 15:37

The crab shaped ones for sure! I remember having a chocolate croissant almost every morning in Paris. Lots of butter and chocolate. It was the life….

3. Divya 2014-08-18 at 15:40

I remember having tonnes of croissants at Paris without actually taking a breathe and thinking of the shapes! 😛 Just the thought of it makes my mouth water! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:08

You’re making mine too 🙂

4. Sue 2014-08-18 at 16:00

Well, if I can rouse you earlier enough in Sept., we have a wonderful expatriate French chef Michel Giraud who has run many high end dining establishments in Los Angeles and now is quietly semi-retired and runs a cafe in our adjacent neighborhood where he serves simple things like homemade croissants that people line up for and they always sell out . . . you might see fireworks!!!!

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:09

Oh I wish, it sounds magnificent. (But yeah, those are my dates). Tell me if you see fireworks with them!

1. Sue 2014-08-19 at 16:44

Oh, no I meant early in the morning, not “earlier” in the month; he’s open every day but Monday and you’re here on a Monday so we’ll see! Anyhow, there’s lots more to do besides hunt out croissants!

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 23:05

Oh, haha! I think I;m not there on a Monday, I think I arrive on a Monday midnight, the day I have off is Friday 19th, and then have to go the next morning. Anyway, yes, no problem with croissants, I am surrounded by artisanal bakeries just on the street behind where I live in Barcelona and they make amazing croissants. My favourite discovery was the croissant with white chocolate…

5. davegon 2014-08-18 at 16:04

Wow! Croissants without butter? Is that common, or just one place?

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:10

After writing this I learnt that the without butter has margarine (which I strongly dislike)…

6. Sunny 2014-08-18 at 19:01

Hey Sofia, I didn’t know that, but this would explain everything! I definitely prefer the crab-shaped ones. I don’t care if they’ll make my heart explode (but I only eat croissants on Sundays, so hopefully that’s not too bad)!

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:14

I like butter so it explains why I prefer the crab shaped ones too! Only on Sundays is fine 🙂

7. Guillermina Stover 2014-08-18 at 19:21

Crab shaped? Do you mean the ‘croissant’ or crescent shaped? Because the ones you show in the photo are straight…so that must be the difference. And I ABSOLUTELY adore croissants with the butter, of course, and brioche also. I have baked brioche myself…

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:15

Yeah, the ones in the photos are the ones I didn’t like much… You make your own brioche? hmmmm it’s hard to get in Barcelona, I may need to consider making it myself. You might give me some tips 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:16

I did to until now..

8. Bunny Eats Design 2014-08-18 at 22:25

I’ve never seen a straight croissant, but thank you for sharing the croissant code in case I’m ever faced with one. Crescent shaped croissants all the way!!!

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:16

Now you know the code for when you go to France 🙂 Agreed with the crescent shaped all the way!

9. Liz 2014-08-19 at 04:17

no fireworks or pink butterflies, huh? Sorry to hear that. Though looks like you still had plenty of yum 🙂 What are the ones without butter made with? Had no idea.

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:18

The truth was that if there were fireworks and pink butterflies during by breakfast indoors I would probably freak out 🙂 After writing the post I learn that the butterless ones contain margarine, no wonder I wasn’t enamoured.

10. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-19 at 07:45

That is a very interesting fact, Sofia. I personally like the ones with butter…just because I like the taste of butter. Yes, very sinful and I try not to eat too many croissants. I usually like them plain or dipped in chocolate 😉 Now, I’m going to a job next week and next door there is this convenience store that sells one-dollar fresh crab-shaped croissants everyday…. 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 11:18

Me too with the butter 🙂 Oh take advantage of that workplace with the croissants 😉

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-19 at 12:42

Right, Sofia. And me get fat eating the croissants 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 12:46

You? hahahaha no way 🙂

11. Karen 2014-08-22 at 14:05

Oh my, margarine in croissants…say it isn’t so! Butter all the way.

1. Sofia 2014-08-22 at 14:09

Yeah, it’s like a sin isn’t it… Yes to butter! 🙂