A Bicycle Ride to the Fromagerie Where It All Began

The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins,  and in this way only.

– Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

There is that saying that goes you are what you eat. One of my favourite foods is cheese. We could say that I am like a cheese.

The other day we did a bicycle ride to Montreil-sur-Mer. We visited the beautiful Fromagerie Caseus, which coincidentally is the point where I first thought about beginning a food related blog, and bought a few French cheeses of course. The bicycle ride spanned a total of 40km through the Northern French countryside with plenty of painful uphill slopes. There were a few breezy downhill ones too. Just for the record, yes I was sore the next day.

Cycling to Montreuil su Mer France

One of the things I like about my blog is some the memories I have recorded there and how when I look back I realise just how I’ve evolved. With regards to the menial subject of my cheese tastes, when I visited Fromagerie Caseus that other time more than a year and a half ago, smelly creamy French cheeses were my favourite. Now I like exploring the more firmer smoked ones.

Fromages

Caseus Fromageria

With regards to you are what you eat, this summer we could also say that I look like a coffee éclair. Indeed, specifically the coffee flavoured ones. While I ate yet another coffee éclair at Montreuil-sur-Mer, Mr. H. suggested that I had eaten so many of them this summer that I could write an ultimate guide to coffee éclairs in the North of France. If it weren’t for the fact that I’ve lost count and didn’t document anything, I would seriously think about it.

On our way to Montreuil-sur-Mer we stopped at a small village called Saint-Josse.

Saint Josse, France

Gardens at Saint Josse, France

Saint-Josse is well known for it’s lovely gardens that are designed to also maintain populations of insects, bees and butterflies. There was a small area called the hotel-restaurant for insects. It had special spaces for bees and butterflies to live, and the adequate flowers for them to mingle upon. I didn’t make any photos of it because I was too busy being in awe of the prettiest butterflies and biggest bees I’ve ever seen.

A busy bee at Saint Josse, France

Anyhow, we reach Montreuil-sur-Mer. I made the Victor Hugo quote above because this town is featured in Les Misérables, where Jean Valjean became the mayor.

Montreil Sur Mer - France

Montreuil su Mer church France

It is a beautiful town high on a hill. The part of its name “sur-Mer”, over the sea, is because long ago this town was really by the sea. The sea drew itself backwards and now all that you can see in the next picture below used to be the sea.

View from Montreuil sur Mer, France

(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2014-08-19 at 16:42

That sounds like quite a ride! I’ve never been to a fromagerie, but I’d definitely love to visit one at some point! It’s so cool that you made it all the way to Montreuil-sûr-Mer 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 23:10

This fromagerie is so cute aswell! This time (as opposed to a year and a half ago) my French had improved and I could communicate with the lady there, yay! hehe. I was soooo sore the next day, the big culprit was myself for over-pushing myself on all the uphill slopes.

2. Sue 2014-08-19 at 16:49

Can’t think of anything more wonderful than cycling up an appetite for cheese. Oh how I love cheese, thank you for this lovely post and I always enjoy the quotes at the beginning of your posts.

1. Sofia 2014-08-19 at 23:11

What I ate when we got there was another coffee eclair, and then when we got back we had the cheese. Thanks so much, I’m glad you enjoy the quotes 🙂

3. Michelle 2014-08-20 at 02:48

Hmmm. Cheese and coffee eclairs. I think I could live on those. 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-20 at 15:36

Me too! 😉

4. Mabel Kwong 2014-08-20 at 08:20

Never saw you as a cheese freak, Sofia. Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen to many cheesy recipes from you 😉 Lovely photos too.

1. Sofia 2014-08-20 at 15:38

You’re right Mabel, I don’t post many cheese recipes 😉

5. miwa theresa 2014-08-20 at 14:21

What a gorgeous place! A bicycle ride there sounds like a dream. And cheese! Yumm… 😉

1. Sofia 2014-08-20 at 15:39

Thanks Miwa Theresa, your countryside lake post that I just saw also looks like a dream..

6. Liz 2014-08-20 at 15:54

beautiful photos! And love that you love cheese. Am with you there. What a wonderful country to enjoy cheese from. And on a bike even better 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-08-20 at 15:58

Oh yes, the very traditional French people take pride in all the different cheese variations their country has to offer 🙂 The bike ride was fantastic (my sore muscles the next day were not).

1. Liz 2014-08-20 at 16:00

but you burned off cheese calories 😉 And maybe some from those croissants as well, haha.

7. thebestdressup 2014-08-20 at 16:35

ciao! a fun bike ride and delicious destination. cheese is a luvFAB. great post.
    thebestdressup

8. emmabarrett1508 2014-08-21 at 18:36

I am so jealous. You can not beat France for cheese. My husband would be in heaven too. He is a big cheese fan. What is better than cheese, crusty bread and some red wine on a summers day. Enjoy some for me. Emma.

9. Guillermina Stover 2014-08-25 at 04:34

Ah, yes, “memories are made of these…sweet, sweet…memories you gave-a me” a Dean Martin song. And then there is the lovely French quote, “plus ça change, plus la même chose”–the more things change, the more they stay the same. Part of life is change but also constancy. Like the love of cheese!!!! Well done, Sofia…

10. Patty Nguyen 2014-08-25 at 05:25

A coffee eclair guide…hmm…I like the sound of that!

1. Sofia 2014-08-25 at 15:16

If I eat them all another year, I’ll get the addresses and photos 😉 By the way Patty, I’m reading there have been earthquakes around there, is everything ok where you are?

1. Patty Nguyen 2014-08-26 at 04:47

Yes! We are okay! The earthquake happened at 3:30 AM our time and even woke Bailey up. The bed, house, and some household items shook for about 15 seconds, but no damage. We are about an hour away from the epicenter so I’m surprised we felt it that strongly!

1. Sofia 2014-08-26 at 14:54

I’m glad to know that you had no damages! (was Bailey frightened?) When I briefly lived in Papua New Guinea we felt a few earthquakes, like one every 2 weeks, but no damage either thankfully! The feeling is quite bizarre…

1. Patty Nguyen 2014-09-01 at 08:08

Every two weeks?? Geez, that’s not fun! Bailey was confused. He didn’t understand why he was woken from his deep slumber. Hehe.