Almond and Swiss Chocolate Cake

It seems to have been ages since I last posted a recipe. So much so that I was beginning to doubt if I should change the positioning of my blog to something along the lines of Stories of Sofia Lost in France or something like that. However, here is a recipe so we can still consider this a food blog.

This cake marked the beginning of my love affair with almond milk. I fancied making a cake using almond flour and almond milk, because I had never made one before with these almondy ingredients before. I made two discoveries. Firstly, the cake was amazingly good. Secondly, when I used the leftover almond milk in my coffee the next day, I had an instant crush. It was a bit like the first time I made homemade pesto. Why on earth had I not thought about this earlier?

As expected, Mr. H. made fun of me, suggesting that I must be turning into some silly boho-chic. Quinoa in our salads. Almond milk everywhere. What next? I find that quinoa is ok. But with the almond milk, if being made fun of is the price of using it in my coffee, then call me boho-whatever, I don’t mind.

I decided to investigate the benefits of almond milk with regards to cow’s milk. Now he’s a convert too.

Less fat: it contains only 60 calories per cup. Cow’s milk contains 146 calories per cup in whole milk and 86 calories in skimmed milk.

Healthy fats: it contains no cholesterol nor saturated fats, so it’s fats are the healthy type that help keep your heart healthy.

Calcium content: it contains less calcium than cow’s milk but it does contain some calcium and vitamin D. Nevertheless, I only use a small amount of milk in my coffee, and incorporate plenty of other calcium containing foods in my diet.

Low in carbohydrates: as long as it doesn’t contain additives, not only is it low in carbs but it doesn’t contain lactose, so it’s great for people with lactose intolerance.

No refrigeration required: I read about this but hey, I prefer to keep mine in the fridge. Just in case.

Vitamin content: it contains plenty of vitamins and antioxidants

Protein content: it contains very little protein so it’s not nutritious in that sense.

It tastes great: this may not be a nutritional benefit, but it’s what made me want to learn more about almond milk in the first place.

Almond and Swiss Chocolate Cake

1 cup almond flour, 1 cup flour, 1 cup almond milk, 200g Swiss milk chocolate, 50g butter, 2 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 180ºC.

Melt the butter and swiss chocolate together in a bain-marie.

Grease a baking pan with a small amount of butter.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix. Add the almond milk, almond flour, flour and baking powder. Mix. Add the melted butter and Swiss chocolate. Mix. Pour into the baking pan.

Bake for 45 minutes.

It was great served with some strawberries.

1. Ngan R. 2014-09-01 at 17:06

I love almond milk (and I refrigerate mine). We eat it with cereal, make chia pudding, or make ice coffees with it, but I have yet to bake with it. Cake looks delicious!

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 18:20

Will have to remember your words for the chia pudding and ice coffee use! (and yes to it with cereal!) Have a great week Ngan!

2. emmabarrett1508 2014-09-01 at 17:14

I could really do with a piece of this now. Having a bad day!

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 18:19

I’m sorry to hear that Emma. I’m sure this cake might help! xx

3. Ginger 2014-09-01 at 18:45

This is looking amazing!

4. Libertad 2014-09-01 at 19:34

Looks delicious!! I must make this one myself ;P

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 23:35

But you can make it with pretty decorations 😉

5. Bunny Eats Design 2014-09-01 at 19:37

I love how you write recipes. You simplify it to the most basic language. I try to do the same. I have been reading recipes that use 10 words instead of one. Much harder to follow.

I can’t say I know much about almond milk. We use a lot of cows milk though. About 4-5 litres a week between two of us. The Koala drinks most of it but the deal breaker for me would be the price.

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 23:42

oh thanks Genie, I get lost too when I follow recipes that use too many words to say simple things.
      Wow, 4-5 litres a week is a lot, so I can see why the price would be deal breaker. We don’t drink that much (but compensate by eating lots of cheese!). If I make a cake we go through 1 litre a week, and if I don’t make a cake it lasts so long that I begin to worry it will go off! Here almond milk is nearly but not quite twice the price of cow’s milk, but for one litre every “never” its ok.

1. Bunny Eats Design 2014-09-02 at 00:57

The Koala likes hot drinks and has many in a day, plus cereal. I often make béchamel too (maybe too often). I think I’d only try almond milk for hot drinks, probably not cooking.

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 12:13

That makes sense! I would try almond milk in a strawberry smoothie I think… Not for béchamel. Ok, if I make bechamel I use a lot, even a litre, you’re right there! 🙂

6. Sunny 2014-09-01 at 19:58

Hey Sofia, I don’t think I’ve tried almond milk! Now come to think of it, it’s most probably a great idea! I’ve got to see if I can lay my hands on some soon 🙂

The cake looks SO. YUM!

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 23:54

Hey Sunny, it’s nearly twice the price of normal milk but (in my humble opinion) tastes better!
      The cake sort turned out like a coulant, but with a smooth almondy flavour…. 🙂

7. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-09-01 at 20:50

I’ve too had an instant crush, Sofia! What an amazing cake but I’m an all-things-gooey-fudgy-melt-in-your-mouth lover <3
    I'm glad you had such a wonderful time in France but I'm happier you posted again, especially when the outcome is a cake like this.
    I've never tried almond milk myself but I don't think this will be case the any longer.
    Thanks for sharing so many helpful and interesting and scrumptious things!

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 23:57

You must try almond milk Rosa, I’m sure you’ll really like it. And yes this cake was a gooey-melt-in-your-mouth kind of cake. I can’t wait to find the moment to make it again! Besos

8. Sue 2014-09-01 at 21:07

Wait oh wait until you try almonmilkla’s almond milk….fresh organic raw sprouted almonds + 4 flavors including cacao!!!! This cake looks super easy but very scrumptious too!!!!

1. Sofia 2014-09-01 at 23:58

With cacao sounds great Sue!
      The cake is just that 🙂 xx

9. polianthus 2014-09-01 at 22:51

love almond anything, love almond flour in cake, quite tradtional here, also ground hazelnuts etc. (which also go very nicely with chocolate, especially if you toast the ground hazelnuts in the pan first to bring out the hazelnutty flavour 🙂 – and then almond puree – which if you are lost in france you will find easily, costs an arm and a leg, love mine made from almonds without the skin, and makes the most wonderful smoothies for example: http://www.salicorne.ch/index.php?id_product=101&controller=product&id_lang=5&gclid=CLKtlr7ywMACFQsKwwodYH0Agg
    All that said off topic, on topic, your chocolate cake looks delicious!

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 00:01

Using ground hazelnuts sounds amazing! Here, unless I learn how to make it myself it would be hard to find. In fact, there is only one place I know that sells the almond flour (and when I wanted to make the cake again, the shop was shut for summer, lol!). Not off the topic at all, I can’t wait to make a smoothie with it. Damn, I just came back from France but will remember your words next time I’m there.

10. Guillermina Stover 2014-09-01 at 23:10

Mhmmmm! The cake looks wonderful. Similar to my Torta Caprese, or Flourless Chocolate Cake. I don’t like milk, even drink my coffee BLACK. I have tried almond milk, but I was not too crazy about it. Probably because I’m not crazy about regular milk…it was “nice, nice, not thrilling, but nice.” (A quote from Mel Brooks’ movie “History of the World Part II–if you’ve never seen it, you must! Hilariously irreverent, with lots of double meanings!)

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 00:03

Hahaha, I will modify his quote then to nice, nice, very thrilling! 😉 I can understand if you don’t even drink milk much! I’ll need to make these two cakes that you make too…

11. Guillermina Stover 2014-09-01 at 23:11

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had been missing your blog! You hadn’t posted in several days. Glad to see you are BACK!

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 00:04

You’re too sweet Guillermina! 🙂 besos!

12. pianolearner 2014-09-01 at 23:45

I’ve never tried almond milk before. But love ground almonds in cake. Onr of my favourites that use it is Bakewell tart. But your cake could easily beat that. 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 00:04

I have to check the Bakewell tart…

13. Lily @ChloeAsh 2014-09-02 at 05:05

Thanks for the recipe, Sofia. I think we can get almond milk in organic food shops, but I’ll have to investigate further into almond flour. The cake looks all sorts of yummy!

14. Patty Nguyen 2014-09-02 at 05:36

Almond milk is delish! Plus I am mildly lactose intolerant (except when it comes to gelato, ice cream, and the like) so nut milks are always a great option! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 12:08

Thank goodness you are only mildly lactose intolerant, because not being able to enjoy ice cream would be terrible! xx

15. Liz 2014-09-02 at 06:07

oh, gosh–this looks amazing and is so simple! Always drink almond milk but never thought to use it in baking outside of being a substitute if I’m out of cow’s milk. Bet it would be lovely 🙂 You cake looks delish. So moist and chocolatey.

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 12:10

Lets see what you make with it 😉

16. Mabel Kwong 2014-09-02 at 07:05

That cake looks fabulous! It looks…wet…chocolaty wet. As for almond milk, well, honestly I haven’t tried it yet. It sounds expensive to buy. It is interesting that it can be kept outside of the fridge. But yeah, better safe than sorry. I like my milk cold because it tastes better in my opinion…but full cream cold cow milk gives me the runs when I have too much of it. Not too sure if almond milk will have the same effect on me 😉

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 12:11

Oh yes it was chocolatey wet 🙂 Hmm perhaps almond milk would be ok as it doesn’t have lactose, which is usually what gives problems to some people. xx

17. mysimpledelights 2014-09-02 at 12:22

Que buena pinta Sofia!!! Me encanta!!! I will need to try almond milk now too! I need a new love affair with food lol!!😊

1. Sofia 2014-09-02 at 12:44

Please do give it go! xx

18. Pingback: Almond and Swiss Chocolate Cake | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

19. Amanda 2014-09-03 at 18:29

Wow. I just saw this. Yum. I love almond milk too. I didn’t know how to utilize it in a chocolate cake. Yum! I love that you’re lost in france and now spain. I’m living vicariously!

20. Dalo 2013 2014-09-04 at 20:16

Looks delicious, as always… And now I have put almond milk on my list, will have to give it a try ~ especially in my coffee. Continue to enjoy your adventures Sofia, it is nice to following your stories about France from my side of the world. Cheers!

1. Sofia 2014-09-08 at 10:07

Did you remember to give it a try? 😉

1. Dalo 2013 2014-09-08 at 19:02

Not yet…I always forget things when I arrive at the store w/o my list 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-09-08 at 19:04

Are you like me?: sometimes I make a list then forget to bring it 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-09-08 at 19:14

Ha, ha… Almost every time :-/

1. Sofia 2014-09-08 at 19:54

High five! 😉

1. Sofia 2014-09-08 at 10:07

A piece for you 🙂

21. fingerprintwriting 2014-09-10 at 00:59

Yummy! I’ll have to try your recipe:)
    I drink almond milk every day. I recently bought a Vitamix and I think I can make my own almond milk.

22. dedy oktavianus pardede 2014-09-11 at 15:16

Lovin it till the last bit on my plate Sofia!!!
    almond and chocolate won’t never fail,,,,,