Churros for Breakfast

AllΒ happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.

– John Gunther

As usual when I visit my mum, we make sure we go out at some point for a churros breakfast. Here is a photo of the last visits churros… Just in case you like churros and want to dream for a few seconds.

1. Divya 2014-09-15 at 10:21

My husband is a huge Churros fan! I had my first in Barcelona this year would you imagine! I hadn’t had them before! πŸ™‚ Actually there was a bakery at La Ramblas very close to the Gothic Quarter entrance which looked super pretty, they had Churros dipped in chocolate all crusty and ready to eat! πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:29

I think I know which one you mean, there is one there that is very pretty!

2. Sunny 2014-09-15 at 10:26

Life is SO not fair! We never get churros for breakfast here LOL

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:30

But you get Belgian waffles! πŸ™‚

3. thomasvinicombe 2014-09-15 at 11:25

I love churros for breakfast! It really is the best πŸ™‚ These look great!

4. Mabel Kwong 2014-09-15 at 14:06

I love churros. If they are my first meal of the day, I tend to skimp on the chocolate…healthier start that way πŸ˜‰ Have a good one too, Sofia.

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:33

You would be frightened at the Spanish hot chocolate then, it’s so thick you can eat it with a spoon! Don’t worry, it becomes like that because they like to add thickeners (like cornflour) so it’s not really totally loaded. xx

5. Sue 2014-09-15 at 14:37

Hey wait a second. I’ve never had churros for breakfast! Hmmm. I want I want!

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:35

You haven’t? I quickly looked in google theres a place called Churros Calientes in Santa Monica πŸ˜‰

1. Sue 2014-09-18 at 02:46

ha! get out of here!

6. jenny 2014-09-15 at 15:14

Yummmm….it really doesn’t get much better than churros for breakfast! Happy days! πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:35

Indeed πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:37

While I live in Spain I’ll just be lazy (unlike you) and buy it. But if I live overseas I’ll have to learn your recipe, it looks great! Thanks for your link πŸ™‚

1. mysimpledelights 2014-09-18 at 10:03

Thank you Sofia. I think the best Churros are in Chocolateria San Gines in Madrid!!! Love it!

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 10:10

I’ll have to find that place! πŸ™‚

7. Ngan R. 2014-09-15 at 16:46

Love churros! I dream of them often…. So fun that you and your mom have this tradition of churro breakfasts.

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:39

You dream of them? hehe.. but then do you go out and eat some? πŸ˜‰ Yes, it’s a nice tradition. Unfortunately / luckily I live far away from my mum… I say luckily otherwise we would be eating churros way too often!!

8. crendina 2014-09-15 at 16:49

love churros!! when i’m in Spain I always start the day with a great breakfast with churros πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:39

That’s the best way to start the day in Spain πŸ™‚

9. Ginger 2014-09-15 at 22:41

How lucky you are to be able to simply step out of your door to get some churros! I’ll have to take up Farianti’s offer and try out her recipe, it seems πŸ˜‰

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:41

I know that’s lucky! I hope you try her recipe, when I lived in Australia when I was younger, my parents sometimes made churros. It was hard work apparently, but worth it πŸ™‚

10. Guillermina Stover 2014-09-16 at 00:12

I didn’t really taste Spanish churros when I lived in Spain. It wasn’t until I returned for a visit that I got to try them in MalagΓ‘ at 2 different churrerΓ­as…wow!! And the chocolate is thick and dense, nothing like the watery gruel in the U.S. of A.!!!! The cup of chocolate is a cross between the Mexian “atole de champurrado” (which is a corn ‘masa’ drink) and melted chocolate. I found out that Spanish “chocolate de taza” has cornstarch–AHA!!! That explains the thickness AND the similarity between the two!

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:42

You didn’t! Oh yes, isn’t the chocolate just superb! Hey I’m in the US of A at the moment and thinking of you that we are in the same country πŸ™‚ Yep, thankfully it has cornstarch and NOT 9 kilos of chocolate per cup, lol.

11. eleieleika 2014-09-16 at 12:43

I enjoyed very much the chorros breakfasts we had when you were here, and we share the thick chocolate…. <3
    Yesterday, i had churros at the same place for re-breakfast, accompanied by your dad, but he did not have any…..:)

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:42

He’s a party pooper πŸ˜‰
      I always enjoy the churros breakfasts with you! xx

12. Amanda 2014-09-16 at 23:03

Me encantan los churros con chocolate! Suspiro….Que buena pinta!

13. Jaa 2014-09-17 at 19:51

Your picture makes me hungry! And I just had lunch lol! ^_^

1. Sofia 2014-09-18 at 02:43

Consider the churros as dessert then πŸ˜‰

14. Pingback: Churros for Breakfast | MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS

15. Liz 2014-09-22 at 21:30

Yum!!!!! I’m in πŸ™‚ And that is an awesome quote. Perfect.

16. laurasmess 2014-09-26 at 13:26

Ohhhhh yum! I’ve never had churros for breakfast. More as a dessert (that’s how they seem to be served in Perth). These look gorgeously golden and delicious! Yum xx

17. Dalo 2013 2014-09-28 at 07:22

There is nothing quite like a nice, comforting breakfast… Reminds me of great mornings when I was young and there were donuts waiting for me πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-28 at 10:21

hhhmmm donuts πŸ™‚

1. Dalo 2013 2014-09-28 at 10:23

That is my favorite Homer Simpson quote πŸ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-09-28 at 10:24

Haha πŸ™‚

18. The Sicilian Housewife 2014-11-13 at 13:43

I used to think no food was too fatty or too rich for me, but when I met churros, I was beaten!
    The photos look wonderful, though!

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 18:29

You think it’s too fatty?? (yeah, you’re right…)

19. Andrew 2014-11-16 at 18:26

I completely agree with the quote and I find myself dreaming of the next time I will be having churros for breakfast in Spain! I love your blog, by the way.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 18:28

Hi Andrew, how kind of you πŸ™‚ I must be very lucky then because I accidentally had churros for dessert today (it was put in front of me without me asking for it!).

1. Andrew 2014-11-16 at 18:51

You seem lucky in many ways.