A Day in LA

Now more than ever do I realize that I will never be content with a sedentary life, that I will always be haunted by thoughts of a sun-drenched elsewhere.

– Isabelle Edehardt, The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle Edehardt

What a great day in LA with Sue and Patty. I already had some ideas of what might would be in store because Sue had already dropped some hints. This is what we did while we waited for Patty to arrive.

Sue picked me up that morning from my hotel, which was extremely kind of her, and treated me to the most amazing breakfast I’ve had ever. Really.

French toast with strawberries and bacon

If you think the size of these French toasts is an optical illusion due to the angle of the camera, well in real life they were about 5 times bigger. And about 10 times better. This must have been to ensure I started the day with energy and would not go hungry.

We went on a beautiful bike ride around Santa Monica. I’m pretty well travelled but I have to say I was constantly amazed at the size of those palm trees. What a beautiful place to live, what a beautiful beach.

By the way, if anyone knows why all the palm trees tilt towards the same angle, please do tell us. We were wondering why.

Santa Monica, LA

Santa Monica beach

At the end she did have me in for a surprise. She took me to see a scone cooking class by Zoe Nathan. Now I’ve never made scones and they are indeed on my to-do list. I actually never knew how I was supposed to shape them, so being able to watch the scone class was awesome. Plus, she had got both of us Zoe’s Huckleberry cookbook and we had it signed by Zoe herself.

Huckleberry

These dots are just too adorable…

Huckleberry dots

Recipes in Huckleberry

Thank you for your enormous hospitality Sue, I had a fantastic day! Thank you for everything, the book is a memory of the day I’ll treasure forever.

1. Sunny 2014-10-01 at 02:02

That breakfast looks EPIC!!! So lush! I keep reading about the cookbook on Sue’s blog, and ahh everything looks way too delicious!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 10:25

She took me to the actual Huckleberry café / restaurant,… everything looked too delicious and it’s all in the book so I will be cooking them!

2. Helen @ Scrummy Lane 2014-10-01 at 03:29

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, Sofia! That french toast looks absolutely to die for!!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 10:25

I did Helen, and the French toast was made of brioche bread which was double to die for!

3. Dalo 2013 2014-10-01 at 05:46

Sunny LA, it is hard to beat ~ especially with that breakfast, French Toast my favorite. So good to have memorable days and connect with friends too. Theory on the palm trees: consistent winds will bend trees into common angles 🙂 Santa Monica is one of my favorite places when I do head down to LA. Cheers!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 10:34

Sunny Santa Monica is incredible! Thanks for your theory, I thought that too, but the wind was blowing in the opposite direction. Maybe it’s because usually it blows in the other direction or because they go into the opposite angle to counterbalance the wind.
      Cheers!

4. Liz 2014-10-01 at 06:21

How happy! Amazing French toast, but even more amazing hospitality 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 10:35

Yes, the company and hospitality 🙂

5. Lily @ChloeAsh 2014-10-01 at 07:44

Beautiful pictures and that toast! I want to go back to the States again, but to think of a 24 hour long flight just puts me off. LOL!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 10:35

Yep, long flights aren’t fun while you’re there…

6. Mabel Kwong 2014-10-01 at 11:34

The French toast looks sooo delicious. All that butter and they look toasted to perfection. Hope it wasn’t dry and the crunch was just nice 😀 My theory on the palm trees: maybe the trees love sun, and the sun shines strongest in a certain direction so the trees tend to bend towards that direction 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 11:39

Not dry at all, crunchy outside, perfectly light and soft inside. Lovely theory for the palm trees 🙂

7. miwa theresa 2014-10-01 at 13:15

Beautiful photos! That first shot made me swoon 😉 Those huge palm trees are really something!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 14:48

They are impressive aren’t they! In real life not only are they so towering, they also look wider.

8. Divya 2014-10-01 at 14:44

The pictures are incredible! Are these with the new camera? They are beautiful! And oh that breakfast! Yum! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 14:47

Yes they were with the new camera – and BEFORE I had the photography class!

1. Divya 2014-10-01 at 14:49

Oh! Thats even better No? 🙂 They are so good! especially the indoor pictures that really tell a tale! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 14:52

Hang on I just realised there are the book pictures here, they were taken at home (after the class), once I got back to Bcn. The open book has one hand holding the book, the other hand shaking holding the camera. I would not make a good surgeon lol.

9. Sue 2014-10-01 at 14:59

What a treat when I woke up and (cough) looked at my phone (it’s almost the first thing I do after smooching on Mike for a second while he’s asleep) and saw the little twitter that your post was up on the blog! Your Nikon really took some nice shots of those trees, and do keep me posted on the leaning issue! You were an absolute doll to have as my companion for a day, funny, stylish and of course gorgeous as my Dad (haha) very un-discreetly gushed on about. I only wish I could have fed you more and run you ragged more! Next time, after Barcelona of course, we’ll hit Venice, then take a road trip all the way up to San Francisco via mid-coast California and Big Sur!!!! I am so glad you had a good time and truly you and even Mr. H. are always welcome here!!!!!

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 15:30

Hi Sue! I hope you didn’t wake up at an un-earthly hour this morning 😉 For now we have the theory of the persistant wind making the trees lean to one way, and another romantic notion of them leaning towards the sun because they love the sun. Oh you are so kind! Next time we hit California we can go and visit Patty and Ngan too 🙂 When we are in Europe we can visit Sunny who tells me she drools over your blog. xx

10. pianolearner 2014-10-01 at 23:24

I had originally wondered if Sue was involved in making the Huckleberry book.

11. pianolearner 2014-10-01 at 23:37

When trees bend to one side it’s normally the wind, mostly the wind blows from the sea to the shore due to differential heating of the land and sea causes different pressures. When plants bend to one side it’s mostly due to the sun, i think it’s called phototropic, is not really a thing for trees though. Which way were they going towards the sea or away?

1. Sofia 2014-10-01 at 23:44

They were going towards the sea. But today I found out that there are often strong winds from the desert inland towards the sea. So it should make sense…

12. Patty Nguyen 2014-10-02 at 06:37

This post makes me miss you so much, Sofia! I can’t wait to see you again!

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:51

Can’t wait to see you again too! <3

13. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-10-02 at 18:49

I’m just loving those French toasts, that book (what a jewel!), scones and Santa Monica sunny beaches. BTW, there’re a lot of palm trees where I live (by the sea too) and they all also tilt towards the same angle; it’s the wind (and the sun position) 😉
    Now I’m so envious of your trip to LA…

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:52

A few palm trees here too but those ones in Santa Monica just had me amazed! You would have loved the trip too, I know!…

14. Ngan R. 2014-10-03 at 05:02

Looks like you had a great time in LA, Sofia! Of course you guys went to a cooking class! 🙂 I love it that foodies follow the food. The french toast does look crazy good.

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:53

Yeah it’s great isn’t it, going to a cooking class. That French toast was amazing, definitely breakfast of the century!

15. Guillermina Stover 2014-10-03 at 21:49

So glad you had a fabulous time in L.A. Eating, visiting, touring…ah, yes!!!!