New York {The Grey Morning}

A hundred times I have thought New York is a catastrophe, and fifty times: It is a beautiful catastrophe.

– Le Corbusier

After being in LA, I went to New York. I clicked away making so many photos there that I’d like to post here, so I’ll divide them into a few posts perhaps not necessarily in successive order. On my way there on the plane (reading Huckleberry) my plane seat companion was a young man, who I guess was about twenty years young. He was the one sitting directly next to the window. It was also his first time in New York and he was very excited about it, like me. As the plane approached New York and was going to land, he kept on nudging me to look out of the window so that I could also see the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan. As I was discussing with some friends when I was in LA, coming to New York for the first time gives you a funny feeling. Because of all the movies we’ve seen, all landmarks we know, it’s like we’ve been there before but we haven’t.

The sky was terribly grey the first morning I woke up there. It was a gloomy contrast to the sunny days I left behind in LA.

Sofia in New York

We stayed in Williamsburg and spent the first morning walking around to see the views of Manhattan from that side. I know we all like sunshine but I think the gloominess made my photo session more fun. The photos looked like catastrophic scenes of doom.

NY 2

NY 3

NY 1

NY 7

NY 6

NY 10

NY 8

NY 9

There will be sunnier photos of New York ahead.

Thank you for visiting!

1. Sunny 2014-10-02 at 10:57

Oh wow, that was a gloomy day! I was pretty lucky when I was there. Had some good autumn weather! I think you experienced New York the way it really is though!

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:36

Thankfully that morning was the gloomiest. It gradually cleared up after that. Lucky you to have great weather there!

2. Sophie Cussen 2014-10-02 at 11:42

Great photo’s. I think the grey skies really emphasized the skyline of the buildings beautifully. I absolutely adore NYC and can’t wait to go back there next yr.

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:38

Thanks 🙂 I think the greyness it gave the skyline a mystery and edge. Enjoy for me next year!

3. Dalo 2013 2014-10-02 at 13:41

Great series of photos ~ the first one really, really rocks! That is the NYC that I love, wrapped in mystery and excitement. These photos are made so much better with the sky & weather, so much better than a sunny day 🙂 Also, agree with you about flying into NYC, so neat to see the skyline and Lady Liberty!

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:39

Oh wow thanks Randy. I might have Lady Liberty in one of the future posts 🙂 Have you mysterious NY photos?

1. Dalo 2013 2014-10-03 at 01:49

Nothing like the Lady ~ when I see her I always wonder what it would have felt like making that voyage so long ago to come to these shores. 🙂 Look forward to seeing her in your photos! There are a few NYC shots I have, but not as many as I would like to have :-0

4. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-10-02 at 18:52

You’re right about that photo session; they’re just awesome! I kind of have the same feeling of having been there, though I haven’t… Can’t wait to see more photos from NY

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:41

Yes, it’s so exciting to see everything from the plane! Don’t worry, there will be more 🙂 xx

5. Teppy 2014-10-02 at 19:11

can’t wait to see the sunnier ones! do you love the city though?

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 19:12

The sunnier ones are so colourful 🙂 Oh yeah I loved it! I hope you’ll see it in direct yourself very soon.

6. Amanda 2014-10-02 at 19:19

My home! I love that some of ny is so run down and some of it is the most beautiful thing ever. I can’t wait to see and hear what you did! Great photos.

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:44

Your home! Now that my poor aching feet have walked everywhere there, can I ask in which area you live? Now I can properly imagine it!
      I have many more photos to sort out and post xx

1. Amanda 2014-10-03 at 05:05

I’m on the Upper East Side. You might not have ventured there because it’s kind of residential. So glad you enjoyed! Oh and you definitely get a workout!

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:27

You’re right I didn’t venture into it but I did go jogging in Central Park and visit the Museum of Natural History while I was at it!

7. Sharon 2014-10-02 at 22:20

Love the pics…was gonna ask if you photographed much street art? That last photo of the painting of the girl on the wall is awesome.
    And i love the quote you’ve chosen for this post 🙂 i truly believe this one.
    S.

1. Sofia 2014-10-02 at 23:46

Hahaha you’ve seen all the photos the other day 😉
      xx

8. Ngan R. 2014-10-03 at 05:16

Beautiful photos, Sofia. I love NY with a passion. I could never live there (too hectic for me), but I love visiting and enjoying the hustle and bustle, random street art, cityscape, among so much else. I look forward to seeing those sunny photos!

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:28

I think it’s too hectic for me too, but like you I like the hustle and bustle to visit. xx

9. miwa theresa 2014-10-03 at 13:36

These gloomy shots are beautiful, Sofia! I think they capture the atmosphere of the city very well.

Can’t wait to see even more photos! (New York is so beautiful at this time of year… I really miss it!)

1. Sofia 2014-10-03 at 15:43

I think this time of the year is beautiful in many places. I had that gloomy morning but the following days were sunny. 🙂

10. Guillermina Stover 2014-10-03 at 21:52

Wow…the gray day was a superb juxtaposition to the gorgeous pops of color throughout your photos. You are blossoming into a great photographer, Sofia. I too look forward to my own first foray into the Big Apple someday…soon, I hope!!!!

11. Patty Nguyen 2014-10-07 at 06:53

Another great series! Kudos to you, my friend! Such wonderful work!