New York {Top of the Rock}

And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the Lord is his treasure.

– Isaiah 33:6, King James Bible, Cambridge Edition

An excerpt from the biblical book of Isaiah is carved into the top of the entrance of the Rockefeller Center Building in Art Deco style. This is where we enter the Rockefeller Center Building to go up the observation center and, as someone behind me in the queue expressed, to feel like you’re on top of the world.

Wisdon and Knowledge shall be the Stability of thy times

They ensure that the journey upwards is a spectacle. I remember that in the lift to reach the top they play a dazzling video on the ceiling which goes way to fast. Apparently this is a famous important part as 3/4 of the people in the lift had their cameras pointed to the lift’s ceiling, ready for the show to begin. I did not. The grumpy part of me thinks that these extravagant exhibitions are unnecessary. But it’s ok, it was worth it to reach the top.

From the Rockefeller Center

NY City

New York City

New York Rockerfeller view

NY rockefeller

If anyone knows what this next really tall building is, please tell. I still don’t know.

NY Buildings

What a place is Central Park! It looked like an amazing park from up there. The next day we went for a jog there. No photos of that, I don’t bring my camera along to go running. If I lived New York I would go jogging in Central Park all the time.

Central Park

New York Views from Rockefeller

I promise that after this I’ll only make one more New York themed post.

… Unless I manage another next trip there, whenever that may be.

New York sunsetting

Thank you for visiting!

1. pianolearner 2014-10-09 at 00:18

I love the light in that first photo. 🙂

2. Amanda 2014-10-09 at 00:26

Ugh no me digas! I work in Rock Center! The 3rd photo is my view from my office. That and the central park picture. What’s amazing about this is that I”m still in awe of the views that I can’t see. I walk by the Top of the Rock tour every day and never go up. Sometimes it pays to be a tourist! That huge building is 1 57th Street. It’s the tallest residential building in NYC. It’s completely ridiculous. Out of respect it is one foot shy of the World Trade Center Freedom Tower. It just feels so unnatural to imagine living that high. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One57 and the prices! http://streeteasy.com/building/one57-condominium

So crazy that you were right here (yes I’m working late tonight. yay lawyer).

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 09:34

Ahhhh, digo lo mismo, no me digas! You have a very cool view, I would be in awe of the views every single day and never stop being in awe if I worked there too. Next time I’m there (goodness knows when that might be) I must call you. Thanks for all the info. Hey we are late working buddies. I don’t have these views because I work from home, but then it’s hard to stop and work late too… Besos!!!

3. Bunny Eats Design 2014-10-09 at 00:27

How is it possible to photograph New York looking so calm and serene? It always overwhelms me exactly how big Central Park is. It’s so many city blocks!

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 23:52

Yeah it’s so crazy on the ground, but from up there it just feels so serene…. I went jogging in Central Park, believe me it’s huge and my legs got tired, lol.

4. Johnny Hepburn 2014-10-09 at 01:23

Even though I’m well used to London parks I was still surprised with how much fun it was to be in Central Park. It’s not that it’s any different to other parks. Especially if you compare it to Park Güell, which is staggeringly beautiful. Manhattan really is the most amazing place. But it strikes me, when looking at skyscrapers individually, just how ugly a lot of the buildings are!

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 09:44

I love London parks and their squirrels. Mind you I saw plenty in Central Park too. Unfortunately in the last few years Park Güell has turned into a massive tourist attraction, so much so that the town hall has now put gates and you have to pay to enter, so it’s just packed with paying tourists now. It is a horrible irony for the locals, because when Park Güell was built, it was presented to the Barcelonians for their enjoyment.
      Regarding how ugly the buildings are individually, we did reflect on that while we were there! They just look well altogether!

5. Michelle 2014-10-09 at 03:07

Love the pics with the Empire State Building. And so glad you did get some gorgeous light during your visit!

6. Guillermina Stover 2014-10-09 at 05:46

Gorgeous photographs of the Big Apple…still haven’t made it there…but I will!!! Thank you, Sofia, for that wonderful eye of yours!

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 23:59

You will Guillermina! Didn’t you mention you were going soon?

7. Liz 2014-10-09 at 06:06

your camera is getting a workout! I’ve only been to NYC once, but had the same thought about running in Central Park 🙂 You do a great job of capturing the enormity of the city’s spirit.

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 23:50

That must be exciting to fly there regularly!
      Thanks for the building and the link. Mr. H. also says thank you, he likes the website of the link you sent 🙂
      Cheers

8. Mabel Kwong 2014-10-09 at 11:26

Awesome photos of New York, Sofia. I am really enjoying this series. Haha, I bet your heart dropped a bit when the lift took you all the way up to the top “whoosh..” 😀 On top of the world – that’s when the world is at your feet 😉

9. Sunny 2014-10-09 at 11:47

Hey Sofia, the photos are magnificent! I don’t think I went to the top of Rockefeller building, but I did go up the Empire State Building 😉

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 12:24

Hey Sunny, we were going to go up the Empire State Building (I recall the nutty idea was to walk up the stairs…) but didn’t have time to. xx

10. miwa theresa 2014-10-09 at 12:29

I looove these photos! The light is amazing and you have a wonderful eye. And that shot of Central Park…perfection! I lived so close to the city for most of my life and yet I never went to the Top of the Rock. The Empire State Building I went with a friend who was visiting, and actually that was the only time I did any real touristy stuff. Sort of regretting not going to all those wonderful spots while I could!! And PS, I love your NYC posts. I wouldn’t mind reading many more 😉

1. Sofia 2014-10-09 at 23:51

Oh I know, when my friends visit me in Barcelona I pop them on the tourist bus and I’m sure they’ve seen more things than I have! Oh thanks, I need to sort out the rest of the NY photos to put them up. xx

11. abuchon 2014-10-09 at 16:59

Enjoyed your pictures. What great views from being at the top! I think if I lived in NYC, Central Park would be my oasis. It’s like nature’s island in the midst of a walled city. 🙂

12. Ngan R. 2014-10-10 at 01:22

What gorgeous views, Sofia, they bring me right back to NY. I loved jogging through Central Park too!

13. eleieleika 2014-10-10 at 11:23

I have two children and both play with their cameras. He takes beautiful sceneries of nature from sky to underwater, cute animals and dangerous ones. She takes fabulous high rise buildings, big modern cities, appetiting dishes. What a contrast! I am so lucky just being their mother. I miss them a lot. Those photographs make very close to them. Luv you all 💑💙💜

1. Sofia 2014-10-10 at 19:55

Yeah but his are more difficult and require more patience than mine… Luv you all <3 <3

1. Sofia 2014-10-12 at 21:00