Fastest Fig Salad

What if I fall?

Oh but my darling, what if you fly?

– Erin Hanson

There is a way of thinking that we must reach out of our comfort zones to achieve great things. I utterly believe in this, though I have to poke myself once in a while to remind myself to put it into practice.

Lately I’ve been rather stressed out. A friend of mine reminded me that we need to stop to identify what things do we do that don’t work. Then we have to really stop doing them. Sometimes these things have become habits, we think they are necessary, so stopping them can actually be hard work. It is also a form of going out of our comfort zones.

Thinking up new ideas and working on them is, most obviously, also stepping out of our comfort zones.

This week I pledge to not stress myself out. I’m going to stop doing all the things I think don’t work. I will do all the new things I think I should do. Then, hopefully one day I’ll be flying.

Fig, chickpea and walnut salad

Easy fig salad

Fig, Chickpea and Walnut Salad

Just because I’m been stressed out doesn’t mean that I haven’t been cooking. It means that I make quick and easy food. This week has been a lot about getting something from my local butcher, like local sausages or chicken, shoving it in the oven and throwing together a quick salad. Then I do a bit of work while I wait for whatever is in the oven to finish roasting. It is so simple that I’m not even sure you can call it cooking, because really, making a salad is only putting various ingredients together in a recipient, right?

Here I’ve taken advantage that the abnormally good weather for this time of year means that my local fruit shops still sell figs. It may not be the season, so I bought them cautiously thinking they might be dry and tasteless, but I was nicely proven wrong, they were superb.

3 figs, lettuce, 1 cup chickpeas, 1 spring onion, 1 handful walnuts, 1/2 handful pine nuts, salt, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil

Wash the lettuce, figs, spring onion. Cut them into pieces. Arrange them into a big bowl, along with some walnuts and pine nuts. Sprinkle some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle some olive oil.

Note: the chickpeas here came out of a jar. As I have stated plenty of times, Spain makes very good legume conserves so they come in handy when one is short of time.

(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2014-10-26 at 17:50

I hope you’ll be flying again soon!

This looks SOOOO delicious, and indeed simple 🙂 I saw some figs the other day, but I too was a little skeptical about how they’d taste. Perhaps I’ll grab one next time!

1. Sofia 2014-10-26 at 18:52

These figs looked great from the outside, and smelt good, so I suppose that’s a hint of a great fig inside too! xx

2. Adrian Lupsa 2014-10-26 at 21:28

It looks amazing, Sofia! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

3. Guillermina Stover 2014-10-26 at 22:50

A dinner like the kind you prepare is most certainly a dinner! You are not CHEATING, you are making something delicious with the ingredients you have on hand. And that goes with your stressed feelings…my husband has always ingrained this into my brain: there is no ‘SHOULDS’ or ‘OUGHTS’ in our house. Do the BEST you can, give it your all, and do it with grace & courage. That’s it! And guess what? I believe you are already doing that…

1. Sofia 2014-10-26 at 23:19

I’ll remember what your husband ingrains into your brain, very wise!

4. Guillermina Stover 2014-10-26 at 22:52

Oh, and I just noticed your new letters up above–BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, I like them a lot!!!!!

1. Sofia 2014-10-26 at 23:21

Oh thanks Guillermina! I know I’m always playing with the design. Apparently I shouldn’t because one is supposed to “brand” oneself. But I don’t give a damn as I can do whatever I want in my blog, so today I decided to have some fun with the lettering, and I’m so glad you like it 🙂

5. Liz 2014-10-26 at 23:15

dreamy! A bowl of that salad would take my stress level down a notch or so 🙂

6. Mabel Kwong 2014-10-27 at 05:51

Hope you feel less stressed soon! It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and keep doing things that don’t work – we’ve gotten used to it, and sometimes are stubborn enough to think that things will work out. Recently I was feeling stressed too – too much work, writing, blogging…so I decided to cut down on blogging and am starting to live a bit 🙂

I love that quote by Eric Hanson. Very inspiring. Love the salad too. It looks so appetising, good for springtime here in Australia!

7. Marko 2014-10-27 at 11:08

Hello! Have a nice, successful new week.

8. Amanda 2014-10-27 at 19:18

What great combos! A salad like this could brighten your day. 🙂

9. Joyce 2014-10-27 at 23:55

I really need to buy a fig tree. I always see great recipes for them, especially for salads. Your figs photograph beautifully.

1. Sofia 2014-10-29 at 16:44

I also want a fig tree! great minds think alike 😉

10. Shamim 2014-10-28 at 04:55

Hmm the flavor combination and textures look great! I could so have used a good salad like this today. yum!

11. K. / Pure & Complex 2014-10-28 at 22:03

This looks absolutely divine. The figs in this dish is definitely the main star. I’m totally hungry right now. Amazing

1. Sofia 2014-10-29 at 16:43

The figs definitely are the main star! 🙂

12. Namrata 2014-10-29 at 10:32

i love all that you threw in. Simple yet delicious! The write up touches too.

13. Karen 2014-10-30 at 13:29

It sounds like our lives have been similar lately. I loved your opening to this post as well as your salad.

1. Sofia 2014-10-30 at 16:01

I hope our lives will de-stress very soon also then!

14. Shari 2014-10-30 at 15:57

I should probably tell you- I’ve been listing down recipes here in your blog for me to recreate!!I can’t wait 🙂 Thank you for sharing and I look forward to discovering more! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-10-30 at 16:00

Oh Shari that’s just too sweet because I’ve been reading your product reviews and admiring your make up looks for a while too 🙂 xx

15. sabine 2014-10-31 at 00:09

I love your quote.
    And I love your salad!

16. Dalo 2013 2014-11-01 at 05:10

I like the way you view life…find the things that feel good/stress-free and you’ll soon be flying. A good place to start is with great, healthy good and this salad looks perfect. Such talent 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-02 at 00:53

This week I’ve sort of forced myself to not be so stressed. Lets see what happens afterwards…

1. Dalo 2013 2014-11-04 at 04:11

Hopefully it will be a nice & relaxed week for you…just think happy thoughts ~