Raspberry and Two Chocolate Chip Cake

It must have been some time at the beginning of this year that I read somewhere that nude cakes were to become fashionable again. Hang on, nude cakes?

Then it dawned on me, yes, I make nude cakes all the time. My cakes are nude, naked. Until now they have all been completely devoid of icing.

I have friends that spend lots of time making cakes with beautiful icing, creating real works of art, and I utterly admire what they do. I just think that my artistry is limited to playing the piano, photography and cooking (nude) food.

Don’t worry though, one day I’ll surprise you all and myself by making an icing topped cake. It will probably be some very basic mono-colour icing. I imagine I will make a lemon cake with lemon icing, or a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Something easy to start off with.

Meanwhile, I have a new recipe for another nude cake.

Raspberries

White and dark chocolate chips

Raspberry

Raspberry cake

Raspberry and Two Chocolate Chip Cake

I’m on a raspberry cake roll. Last time I posted a cake it was this extra sinfully creamy (yet healthy) raspberry cake. For this raspberry and two chocolate chip cake, however, my brother in law was over staying for a few days so I needed to make a more civilised cake. No gloopy, droopy creaminess. I thought I’d be a bit more correct and make a moist yet dry socially correct cake.

Even though it was nude…

2 cups flour, 1 cup sour-milk, 120g raspberries, 1/3 cup mixed white and dark chocolate chips, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon sugar, 100g butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 tablespoon baking powder

Prepare by preheating the oven to 180ºC. Wash the raspberries. Melt the butter in a bain-marie. Grease a baking pan with some butter.

Add the eggs and sugar to a large bowl. Mix. Add the sour-milk, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Mix. Add the butter and mix. Add the raspberries and chocolate. Mix carefully with a spatula.

Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top.

Bake for 45 minutes.

Raspberry and Two Chocolate Cake

1. mysimpledelights 2014-11-07 at 13:32

I love this recipe! Come to think of it, ALL my cakes are “desnuda” too!🙈

1. Sofia 2014-11-07 at 13:33

We should have to get together to make some icing then. If you scroll down the page in my blog you’ll see your cookie monster quote is there right now 🙂

1. mysimpledelights 2014-11-07 at 13:36

I know I think I’ve only made icing once about 5 years ago for the Valentine’s cupcakes I made my husband. 3 words…WHAT. A. DISASTER. Icing sugar snowed on my face!! 😑 Didn’t see the quote. Will check now.

1. Sofia 2014-11-07 at 14:14

Snowed on your face? Que miedo!!! 😛

1. mysimpledelights 2014-11-07 at 14:22

Hahaha!! Yes, I placed the butter & icing sugar in the bowl, switched on the hand mixer before I knew it, my whole work top and my face was covered with icing sugar! Nunca mas!!

2. Mabel Kwong 2014-11-07 at 13:50

Oh my gosh, Sofia. I thought I was the only one who liked nude cakes! Finally, I’m not the only one 😉 Nude cakes are my favourite cakes because without all the icing and that sticking sugar coating all over the cakes, I can actually taste the sweetness and texture of the baked batter in my mouth so much better. That is, I can actually taste what cake feels like.

However, it is SO much fun to squirt the icing all over a cake. You feel like you’re a painter painting on a blank canvas 😀

1. Sofia 2014-11-07 at 14:18

Squirting! sounds messy and complicated 😉
      Have a great weekend Mabel!

3. Divya 2014-11-07 at 14:08

Definitely going to attempt this this weekend! I love nude cakes.. icing is just too much work! lol! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-07 at 14:17

Enjoy 🙂 xx

4. Darya 2014-11-07 at 14:09

Lovely. Raspberries are perfect with both white and dark chocolate! I sometimes make raspberry and chocolate chip muffins, but your cake loks so light and moist, I bet it is delicious. Is sour milk similar to buttermilk?

5. emmabarrett1508 2014-11-07 at 14:29

This looks delicious. I love anything raspberry and two chocolate chip sounds right up my street. Thanks for sharing. I will be making this cake very soon. Emma.

6. Kiss & Make-up 2014-11-07 at 16:42

Ugh what are you doing to me?! Now I want to raid the fridge! This looks absolutely delicious!

7. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-07 at 21:41

Love all the nakedness in your food!!!! That is the basic difference between “American” cakes & European pastries. The American cakes have icing between layers and all over. The European style pastries/cakes/tortes have substance in the cake itself and no icing, mostly just a sprinkling of granulated or confectioner’s sugar…

Your posts are always thought-provoking plus the photography is lovely!

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 19:54

But America also makes great cakes in the sense of pies and cheesecakes, no icing there 🙂
      Oh thanks, I’m still over the moon with the camera 🙂

8. maamej 2014-11-07 at 22:05

This looks delicious & raspberries are in season & relatively cheap here at the moment so I will have to give it a try. Also looks like an easy one for the children to make. I like a bit of icing myself but I don’t do anything fancy with it because I don’t have the patience. And I agree with Mabel that too much icing can overpower the cake – like all the heavily decorated cupcakes that have been fashionable lately. Feasts for the eyes but I have no desire to eat them.

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 19:57

I have never seen raspberries cheap over here, ever, so lucky you! If it were, I would buy loads and make jam! Yes I have friends that make incredible icing on cakes, it does feast the eyes… but I admit that when the colours are too overpowering I don’t have any desire to eat them either.

1. maamej 2014-11-08 at 22:54

Oh they are not that cheap! I just mean that when in season they drop from $12 a punnet to $6 or $7 so they are an affordable treat occasionally. I would like to grow them myself, so that I could have them more often.

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 22:58

ohh!!!! Same here, I would like to grow them myself to have more often. I would add blueberries to that wish list too!

1. maamej 2014-11-08 at 23:05

I have blueberries in a pot on my balcony. Around 40 berries slowly ripening:-) first time I’ve tried it, so fingers crossed.

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 23:07

Really? In a pot! I must try to grow them, you’ve inspired me!

1. maamej 2014-11-09 at 04:05

Apparently they like the same kind of soil as azaleas. Mine is doing well and has put out a lot of new growth as well. It’s not in a very big pot but I will repot after the fruit’s finished. Perhaps over a few years I’ll get enough berries to justify the costs of getting them started!

9. pianolearner 2014-11-07 at 22:53

That looks gorgeous. I must admit I prefer cakes without icing (otherwise they can be too sweet). I never knew though that they are nudes…

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 19:55

Surprising isn’t it…

10. Sunny 2014-11-07 at 22:57

Hahaha naked cake! My cakes are always naked as well. I like icing, but I’ve never really made any. This is yet another cake I must try to bake sometime soon 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-08 at 19:55

This i easy, you should 🙂

11. Liz 2014-11-08 at 03:33

how fantastic is this! Very clever, Sofia 🙂

12. Lirios Cake - Laura 2014-11-08 at 10:31

Qué delicia! Una combinación perfecta! Qué buena receta! Estoy salvando!

13. Lily 2014-11-08 at 23:03

Sometimes all you need is a nude cake, simple, delicious and healthier with the icing, thanks for sharing:)

14. Dalo 2013 2014-11-10 at 05:35

Nothing better than nakedness ~ especially with cakes. The raspberry along with chocolate, I like the idea of that mix: tartness with rich sweetness of chocolate. I bet it must taste incredible.

One thing I really dislike about all the icing that is used (especially in the States) is that it covers of the real taste and beauty of the cake 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-10 at 08:13

Especially with cakes! 🙂

15. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-11-10 at 11:57

Your brother-in-law must owe a big one after this nude cake; there’s no icing I can think of that could improve a dainty morsel of this dreamy deliciousness… But then you know I have a weakness for any-berry-related recipes… Thanks for sharing!

1. Sofia 2014-11-10 at 12:11

Rosa you are such a poet! Yes, I still think we should create the berry club for Spain… 😉

16. K. / Pure & Complex 2014-11-11 at 22:11

There’s nothing I love more than these two ingredients: Raspberries and chocolate. This looks spectacular.