Roasted Red Pine Mushrooms

As I was classifying this post under the Vegetables and legumes category, I remembered that in actual fact mushrooms are scientifically classified as fungus, which are not considered as part of the plant kingdom. Nor are they from the same kingdom as animals, bacteria or protists.

Before advances in microbiology, it was thought that fungi were plants, basically because they look more like a vegetable and they are usually grow stuck in one place. There are a few species that do creep along the floor to find food. I remember studying at university that there are a couple of big sized fungus that do this. Encountering one creeping around the place must be a creepy experience.

Once fungi were able to be studied on a celular level, it was found that their cellular structure was not like those of plants, in fact they are more similar to ours. Anyway, let’s not go deep into all this. Really, if I go into what I studied at uni then inevitably I’ll start talking about funky infections and we don’t really want that. Let’s get back to our nice edible mushroom and a nice recipe for it.

Red pine mushroom

These mushrooms are called red pine mushrooms, also known as saffron milk cap mushrooms. Here in Barcelona I can find them in a few fruit and vegetable shops and markets only when they are in season. They are a lot more meatier and tastier than the normal white mushrooms. The green parts on the mushrooms make it look like they have a fungal infection themselves, however this is normal with this variety of mushrooms.

Red pine mushrooms

Preparing red pine mushrooms

Parsley and garlic

About to go in the oven

Roasted Red Pine Mushrooms

You need to prepare by washing these really well. Do take time to do it. Otherwise – and I’m speaking from experience here – you might find that you have crunchy bits of soil hiding between the folds. Just rinse them well and all will be fine.

red pine mushrooms, 1 clove garlic, 1 handful fresh parsley, salt, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 200ºC.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly. Cut them in halves (or let them remain whole, as you wish) and arrange on a baking tray.

Chop the garlic and parsley. Mix them together in a small bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Pour over the mushroom.

Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Mushrooms with garlic and parsley recipe

1. Amanda 2014-11-13 at 22:40

Wow what a unique and beautiful mushroom. Such gorgeous photos. I’ve been obsessed with mushroom and garlic lately so this is such a great idea.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:09

They do go well together don’t they!

2. Sunny 2014-11-13 at 23:38

OOO these look gooood! I was a little concern that they’ve got, well, mushrooms on themselves, but they do look yum! Wild mushrooms are crazy expensive here. Dr. D always tells me how they can collect a whole bunch just in the forest where he comes from 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:19

I was concerned too at the beginning. But I realised they are sold like that everywhere here, and I looked it up in google (of course) so I knew it was normal. Does Dr. D. know how to collect mushrooms? I think even if I had a course I would be too scared to do it in case I make mistake and intoxicate someone!

1. Sunny 2014-11-16 at 19:45

Yes, apparently he learnt from his dad when he was little! I’d be really scared as well, but I guess if you know someone who has the savoir-faire, it’s less scary 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:46

Wow! Has he gone out to get some there in Belgium?

1. Sunny 2014-11-16 at 19:49

He said he’s never seen any, but maybe he’s just not in the right place at the right time? Now I kinda wonder where all the wildly overpriced wild mushrooms on the market come from 😉

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:51

oh… maybe from another country! Some are stupidly overpriced here too.

3. thehungrymum 2014-11-13 at 23:53

I adore pine mushrooms but rarely find them in shops. This looks decadent.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:20

They great because they are quite meaty!

4. Saskia (1=2) 2014-11-14 at 00:27

Beautiful photos Sofia, especially the first one – it almost looks like a landscape! I googled red pine mushrooms to see if they’re available in Aus and they are! Have never tasted them. Apparently they’re also known as saffron milk-caps here. Such exotic names.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:22

Thanks Saskia, they sort of look like mountains don’t they! I’m glad to know you can get them there,… I had to google them too to see what they are called in English as they call them “rovellones” here. I had to find out what to call them for the post 🙂 I also saw the name saffron milk caps.

5. Michelle 2014-11-14 at 02:18

Lovely pics, Sofia. Glad to see you are enjoying that new camera!

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:22

I’m adoring it Michelle!

6. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-14 at 02:26

I so enjoy all types of mushrooms. While living in Spain, I found so many varieties…sadly not here in my hometown. These look absolutely delicious.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:27

Now is the season for many varieties of mushrooms, you’d love it!

7. Dalo 2013 2014-11-14 at 03:16

Beautiful photos ~ they look so healthy as well. The first and last shots are perfect: the beginning and end 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:28

Yes I think they are healthy, they are mainly water with some proteins and vitamins… Have a great week Randy!

8. Mabel Kwong 2014-11-14 at 06:08

I love mushrooms! Any kind. But the meatier and fleshier the mushroom, the more I love it 😀 I always forget that mushroom are fungi…and that some of them aren’t edible at all. Love the photos, so much clarity in them and I feel like I have a plate of mushrooms in front of me. I think I’d like some cheese sauce to go with them 😉

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:30

These are way tastier than the typical round white mushrooms! Oh yeah, some aren’t edible. I used to have a teacher in uni who would say: “People are so obsessed with “natural” things. Well, the most poisonous mushroom is also natural.”

9. Darya 2014-11-14 at 07:27

Hey, Sofia, those mushrooms look incredible! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the like in France, eventhough my mom is a passionate forager, and the shops here sell quite a variety of mushrooms! Love the recipe, and love the pictures! So beautiful (I am free now, so I’ll be getting back to you by email).

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:31

They do sell a great variety of mushrooms there. I once remember buying some in this “posh” place in Lille (can’t remember the name). Enjoy your freedom for now. I’ll probably be over for New Years (and a few days before and after), so hopefully I’ll catch you then!

1. Darya 2014-11-16 at 20:57

I haven’t planned anything for the New Year’s, but I think I’ll be around! We should plan something food-related! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 20:59

Yes we should!

2. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 21:04

I’ll write you an email with my dates when I have them.

1. Darya 2014-11-16 at 21:05

Sounds like a great plan, Sofia!

10. maamej 2014-11-14 at 07:38

They look delicious – I’m glad one of your readers has already done the research to find out that they’re in Australia. I’ll be checking out my local farmers’ market, which usually has a mushroom stall.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:32

Haha thats so good with blogs, all the things you coincidentally learn 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:32

You pick your own? I really admire everyone that does – because I have no idea how to and would be worried at picking the wrong one even if I knew!

11. The Sicilian Housewife 2014-11-14 at 09:45

Lovely lovely! This is how my hubby cooks mushrooms – not sure what type they are but they’re gigantic ones that we get in Sicily and they look similar to these. They’re so rich they make a complete meal in themselves.

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:33

I bet you get some amazing ones in Sicily. I did not eat mushrooms in Sicily, but everything I ate there was amazing and I remember thinking it must be impossible to eat something bad there…

12. laurasmess 2014-11-14 at 11:14

I continually get amazed by how many mushroom varieties there are. As soon as I get familiar with a few, there are even more that pop up! These red pine mushrooms are gorgeous. Such an awesome combination with the garlic and herbs. Yum xx

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:35

They have tons around the shops here now (it’s the season). I should experiment with a few more different mushroom! Have a great week Laura! xx

13. miwa theresa 2014-11-15 at 01:09

I absolutely love mushrooms. All of these pictures are mouth-watering!!

1. Sofia 2014-11-16 at 19:36

I bet you get really interesting mushrooms over there! Thanks 🙂

14. Shamim 2014-11-15 at 05:46

Sofia, your pictures are just gorgeous!

15. Liz 2014-11-17 at 06:24