Lemon Curd

Think about it. I’m playing the piano and each hand needs to jump at full speed to opposite directions of the keyboard. Where am I supposed to look?

Left or right? Up at the score sheet? Shut my eyes and hope for the best?

One of the things I’m practicing at the moment is Chopin’s Posthumous Waltz in E Minor. I love that it is fast and passionate, with sweet moments but also loud, heavy and grave moments. I love that it sounds un-Viennese waltzish. It just sounds Polish and so Chopin.

I’m still working hard on some parts that are so difficult for me though. Here it is played by Evgeny Kissin, one of my piano idols. The parts between second 24 and 28, then again identically between second 48 and 52, are driving me nuts. Yes folks, these parts only last 5 seconds, and Kissin does is extremely fast and effortlessly that you probably don’t even realise his hands go in opposite directions, very far from each other, up and down, three times. Three times each time.

The first thing I’ve done to overcome this is learn the whole piece off by heart. That way I won’t need to look at the score sheet, so that there is one place less to look at.

Do I look at my right hand or my left hand then? My piano teacher says that in these situations he sort of leans back and makes a panoramic view so he can see everything. Ok, so he is way bigger than me and does this better than me. When I do this, I get a feeling that my arms don’t reach properly and loose control. In these moments I wish I were a fly, with fly eyes.

Now we’re working on making each hand, and finger, automatically land where it needs to land so that I don’t really need to look anywhere in particular. Wish me luck!

I still need to polish off the last part, but that’s just a matter of practice. Not so much a matter of wishing I were a fly.

Recipe for lemon curd

Lemon curd

Lemon Curd

I’ve always liked lemon curd. For unknown irrational reasons, I’ve always been afraid of making it. As if I thought it would surely turn out in disaster or something. Well now I can report that I’ve finally made it, and it was actually quite fast and easy.

I followed a recipe, for once, from my book Mes Confitures Maison. The recipe was in French and I didn’t even have to ask Mr. H. for help in following it!

Ingredients

6 large lemons, 100g butter, 250g sugar, 4 eggs

Squeeze the juice from the lemons. Put the lemon juice, butter and sugar in a saucepan on low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon.

Beat the eggs. Once all the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved, add the eggs slowly, little by little, while stirring with the wooden spoon continuously. Once all the egg has been added, continue stirring for a couple of minutes.

Put into sterilised jars. It makes about 2 jars worth. Store in the fridge for at least one night before eating.

Note

I was quite worried upon making it that the lemon curd was so liquid. However the next morning when I took it out of the fridge, I saw that it had curded into a nice thick and creamy consistency, just how it should be.

(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today)

1. Saskia (1=2) 2014-11-21 at 20:33

Cannot even begin to tell you how much I *love* lemon curd Sofia. I need life to give me some lemons!
    Interesting reading about your piano dilemmas. My boys are still asleep, but I’m going to seek out Chopin’s Posthumous Waltz on Youtube to play during breakfast.
    PS. Just noticed Cookie Monster’s quote below. Love it!

1. Sofia 2014-11-21 at 20:59

I put a link in the video Saskia, where its inderlined and says Evgeny Kissin. Haha the quote is fun 🙂 I hope you’re getting stronger now. Have a great weekend!

2. Sunny 2014-11-21 at 21:27

Oh nom! I can’t remember the last time I had lemon curd! I did LOVE the lemon bars a girlfriend made and brought me a while ago though. They were so yum 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-21 at 21:35

Lemon bars? Yum! Will have to look into making something like that! XX

3. Amanda 2014-11-21 at 22:15

What a beautiful piece. I have it in the background as I read. I love your photos of the French cookbook and the curd. I’m so glad you posted this because i’ve been a) meaning to make my own ricotta soon, b) putting it in lemon ricotta pancakes and c) topping it with lemon curd!!! Now I have my recipe! xo Good luck with the piece. Practice practice practice!

1. Sofia 2014-11-21 at 22:40

Yes practice! It has to sound amazing by the 12th December which is the next piano party. Cant wait to see you ricotta! Then the pancakes, then with the lemon curd 🙂

4. Mabel Kwong 2014-11-22 at 06:12

Ah, the hand jump during piano playing. I always tensed up when my right hand had to go over the left to reach the lower keys 🙁 One of my piano teacher never made a big fuss about it…she could do it effortlessly. Like it’s something to be felt and if you’re into the music and moment, the hand will land on the correct notes 🙂

I love lemon curd in my cakes 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-22 at 15:23

Hmmm jumping one hand over another usually isn’s something that doesn’t fuss me either…
      Have you made lemon curd before? Well you probably get it easily there, its very hard to find in Spain, and when you do find it, the price is astronomical! So I’ve decided I’ll make it myself 🙂

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-11-23 at 13:24

I have never made lemon curd before. I don’t know what to do with it if I made it, and I don’t bake cakes too often. I’ve noticed there is lemon curd this and lemon curd that in pastry shops all over Melbourne. And lemon curd pastries are never cheap here 🙂

So when I come visit I hope to try some of your lemon curd. I hope it’s not sour, I don’t like sour and I make an ugly sour-tasting face 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-23 at 20:02

Oh dear, if you don’t like sour, maybe “orange” curd would be better. Or just put more sugar than what I did!

5. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-22 at 17:26

I watched the video and absolutely adored Evgeny’s expressions and his lovely wrinkled brow–thanks for the share, Sofia! And although there is lemon curd here in the U.S. of A., NOT in my hometown–oy vey. So I will have to make this recipe. Always wanted to try to make it, especially because I enjoy the tartness of lemons, in just about anything!

1. Sofia 2014-11-23 at 19:56

Thanks for watching it, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Kissin is one of those piano geniuses, beginning as a child prodigy, his playing always amazes me! You don’t have lemon curd where you live? This was way easier to make than I ever anticipated, so you have to give it a go. xx

6. Michelle 2014-11-23 at 05:17

Lemon curd is a piece of cake compared to that piece!

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 22:59

hahaha it certainly is 🙂

7. Dalo 2013 2014-11-23 at 12:47

“Shut my eyes and hope for the best…” wins every time for me. In fact, there may not be a better sentence to describe me and my decisions at times 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-23 at 20:01

I’ll take your word for it and do it more often. Ok, its something I already do a lot, but as I look up to you, I’ll take your word for it…

1. Dalo 2013 2014-11-25 at 05:01

Smart girl 🙂 (said the spider to the fly…)

8. Liz 2014-11-24 at 21:18

love how you mix your piano with amazing recipes 🙂 Curious about how long you’ve played. My daughters have taken three or so years and am struggling especially with the younger girl. Practicing can be such a struggle and I’d bet you say it’s worth it, but how much did you protest when you were 8ish?

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 21:31

Hi Liz, I’ve played since I was 7 or 8 years old, then stopped when I went to uni and restarted again a few years ago. Practicing was never a struggle for me as I loved it, I never protested. It was probably more of a struggle for my family, they had to put up with listening to it.
      I don’t really like putting my links in my comments (its as if it were autopromotion) but I wrote about how I started and restarted here:

and here:

The first years are obviously a struggle until it begins to sound good (and I can pass you a brilliant TED talk video on this too, lol), but if they do like it, it is so worth it because you learn an instrument, music, knowledge and culture (along with taste and elegance in my opinion) which is something they will carry forever.
      xx

1. Liz 2014-11-26 at 06:26

totally agree, especially with your last paragraph. Both girls want to continue, but sometimes I wonder if all the fighting is worth it with my youngest.

Appreciate you sharing your links. Thanks!

9. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-11-27 at 09:38

I had lemon curd just once and I adored it! I can’t tell why I’ve never had it again but I’m so impressed the recipe is that easy that I need to try it myself now. Good job!
    That piano piece will turned out perfectly as did your lemon curd after being refrigerated overnight. I wish I were a fly so that I could sneak into your classes through a little crack and hear you playing…