Oven Baked Cod Fish

Yesterday I informed Mr. H. that one of my beautiful darling friends had received a bouquet of roses from her husband. You know who you are, sending you warm hugs! I don’t really remember but I probably fluttered my eyelashes implying, joking, that I wanted some romanticism too, a different type of romanticism from me banging out Chopin on the piano. I showed him the photo of the roses. Indeed, the photo was on social media. Also, just for the record, it was the cutest un-perfect photo ever.

Of course this sparked the conversation about if I think everything I see on social media is perfect. Indeed it is not. Obviously not. How can I emphasise this negative opinion even more?

The truth is that I nearly deleted my Papaya Pieces Facebook page the other day. Yeah… I use it so little that in fact I have no interest in it. I use my personal Facebook page as if it were an email. On a merrier tone, I actually use Twitter to catch up on interesting news reports, as in articles from Time or Newsweek. And with regards to Instagram, you know I’m really loving that one to play with photos and have lots of fun with my friends.

I consider that my blog is a food blog along with plenty of ramblings on my behalf. It’s not a glamorous lifestyle blog, I don’t think I post anything that should let you think I have an overly glamorous life. I’m quite normal, so I suppose everyone else behind a blog (and their social media) must also be quite normal – normal in their own context that is.

However, I’m not sure what someone that has never met me might think of me if they look me up through the blog and social media. Come on, in real life I have bad hair days. I stress over work. I stress over lots of things that I shouldn’t do because life is too short to worry about them. I should take mental note of myself there. I’ve been feeling nearly sick for the last three days: a touch of sore throat, a touch of fever, a touch of feeling unwell. That’s definitely not  great. I’ve been trying everything in my power for it to not transform into a fully fledged flu where I’d be in bed too weak to get up. I’ve been successful so far by the way, and shall have to share a soup I made in one of my next posts. If these things happen to me, they can happen to anyone, so I’m not one to glamourise what I see on social media.

Do you tend to glamourise what you see on social media?

Cod fish recipe

Oven baked cod fish

Oven Baked Cod Fish

I was feeling uninspired to give this fish a fancy name, so I’ve called it Oven Baked, even though the oven part is only the last 25 minutes of it’s cooking. I’ve posted a similar cod fish before, but I think this one is better. It is cod fish with a touch of garlic and paprika, which is a combination with cod fish I adore, and I’m always making new recipes to improve it. This one was really great.

I used salted and then desalted cod fish. It was bought in a charming cod fish stall at the market. Another customer, a lovely 90 year old lady (she told me her age), gave me tips on how to cook it. The pieces where in the final desalting process in water. If you buy this – as opposed to fresh cod fish – I would suggest you try a tiny piece first to see if it has been desalted enough. If not, put it in some water and cook it the next day. This is what she and the stall keeper said. She also told me to drain out the excess water, something I hadn’t thought about before.

With regards to the beans in this recipe, I used cannellini beans from a jar, because Spain makes great quality legumes in jars which is a fantastic time saver. Other kinds of white beans would go just as well with this recipe.

400g cod fish, 500g white cannellini beans, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 teaspoons hot paprika, salt, black pepper, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 glass white wine, parsley

Preheat the oven to 180ºC.

Sprinkle the flour onto a plate. Squeeze excess water from the cod fish. Coat each piece of cod fish on both sides with the flour.

Rinse the cannellini beans. Place the cannellini beans in a large ovenproof dish.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Fry the cod fish there on high heat, on both sides, until the flour turns slightly golden. Remove the cod fish and arrange them on top of the cannellini beans.

Peel and cut the garlic into slices. Fry them on low heat for a couple of minutes in the same pan and oil where the cod fish was fried. Add the paprika, white wine and black pepper. Continue cooking for another couple of minutes. Pour the mixture on top of the cod fish and cannellini beans. Chop some fresh parsley and sprinkle it all over. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

I suggest that to make the dish look more presentable you could wait to sprinkle the fresh parsley on top of the dish once it’s come out of the oven. That way they’ll look nicer than my dehydrated looking ones.

1. Arielle 2014-11-24 at 01:04

Oh wow this looks amazing! <3

2. Dana Fashina 2014-11-24 at 02:38

Whoooa!!
    Where’ve you been all my life!?

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 08:43

I’ve just popped over your blog, likewise, where have you been 😉

3. Liz 2014-11-24 at 05:30

enjoyed your thoughts on social media, roses, and especially that cod! Looks fantastic.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 08:43

Oh the cod was fantastic!

4. Mabel Kwong 2014-11-24 at 05:38

Get well soon, Sofia. I send some warm Melbourne spring vibes to you <3

Sometimes I see nice photos on Instagram and think wow, what great and cushy lives others have. How can they have it all. Then again, one photo does show one side of our lives…then again, sometimes it can say so much too,

I love cod fish 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 08:42

Thanks Mabel, I’m beginning to think I should go out and buy some vitamin C. At least I work from home, if I worked in a office, I would have had everyone in the office and metro coughing all over me now and I would be really sick for sure!
      I love cod fish too 🙂

5. Divya 2014-11-24 at 06:06

Get well soon Sofia! I need that soup recipe yes! 🙂
    I completely get when you say things may not be as they seem especially on Instagram which is basically just a snap shot of a second of someone’s life out of the million hours and that too might be curated and re-arranged to look beautiful and glamorous! But I feel the person who is posting is putting up something pretty and nice for others to like and feel good about .. no one intends to pull someone’s spirits down you know? Its upto us how we take things.. whether we get envious or we feel happy for them!

Sometimes though I agree some people overdo with those pictures! he he! 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 08:40

Hey Divya, if I have time I’ll post the soup today, I’m sure you’ll love it!
      Oh I’m sure nobody posts things to pull peoples spirits down, we all do it to share a piece of beauty. I love seeing all your bit of beauty, it’s exactly what you say, its not envy, it makes us happy 🙂 Just for the record, I was very happy for my friend (and I adore her to bits).

6. Mr. G. 2014-11-24 at 12:15

This Mr. H. sould definitely cut the crap and buy you them flowas.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 15:21

Yeah he should! 😛

7. emmabarrett1508 2014-11-24 at 13:59

This looks so delicious and healthy too. What more could you ask for. Perfect for the winter weather here in the U.K. Emma.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 15:22

Give it a try on a cold winters day! xx

8. Karen 2014-11-24 at 14:26

If it wasn’t for social media, I wouldn’t have found your enjoyable blog, Sofia. 🙂 Your cod dish does sound good and one that my husband and I would both enjoy.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 15:20

How sweet of you Karen 🙂 You’ll have to make it then xx

9. chef mimi 2014-11-24 at 15:14

This looks lovely. Garlic and paprika and cod – fabulous! I personally love salt cod, but it’s hard for me to find.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 15:20

Here fresh cod only exists if you wake up at ridiculous hours of the morning. If you get to the market by 10:30 its all gone! You could do this recipe with fresh cod too. Have a lovely week!

10. Saskia (1=2) 2014-11-24 at 20:36

Hope you feel better soon Sofia, and that Mr H buys you some roses – methinks it’s the least he can do, after being served up this beautiful cod. Yum! Love that you have a dedicated cod stall at your market!
    Still fighting the temptation to join Instagram, being a total Pinterest addict… my finger is hovering above the ‘sign up’ button though…

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 22:58

I should make a photo of the market stall, it’s so cool!
      If you sign, I’ll be your first follower (as long as I’m awake with the time difference between us). Pinterest and Instagram are so different, I think Pinterest is like to file away inspiration and thoughts, Instagram for me is plain fun 🙂 and a method to see my own photos in different ways.

11. pianolearner 2014-11-24 at 23:00

I’ve always wanted to have proper Spanish salt-cod. this recipe looks great!. Would be lovely with a nice glass of white wine.

I love twitter and instagram and blogs. We have met up in life with some people that we first met through twitter. I don’t bother with facebook anymore. I swapped my phone a few months back and haven’t even installed the app on the new one.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 23:02

You know I also like twitter because I sporadically get to chat to you through there 🙂
      Do you get salt-cod there?

1. pianolearner 2014-11-24 at 23:04

No, we get smoked cod and haddock, but I’ve never seen salt-cod. I guess one of the london fish markets could supply it.

1. Sofia 2014-11-24 at 23:05

Now here the smoked versions are harder to get. But you could pull off this recipe with fresh cod fish too.

12. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-25 at 00:07

I use social media, mostly Facebook, to catch up with friends and I know there is very little glamour in their lives–LOL! What glamour there is are through their wonderful photography…of people, places, and of course FOOD. To me, that is my own glamour. The photos of the process and the finished product. So much fun.

About roses, well, I’m a very lucky duck because my husband began sending me flowers from the start of our courtship. It’s been 20 years since we started dating, and almost 15 years of wedded bliss…and still the flowers keep coming. Sometimes when I least expect them. We broke up for a few months in 1998, I had surgery, and I received a GORGEOUS bouquet. What can I say, he’s an incurable romantic!

1. Sofia 2014-11-25 at 01:05

Indeed, I always marvel at what you’re cooking when I catch sight of it in Facebook. I actually have to manage a couple of Facebook pages for my real life work, so when I go in there I take advantage to do a quick browse of my real life friends and see what you’ve been cooking 😉
      You are a lucky duck! Oh you broke up, but you got together again, how sweet! What a romantic, he’ll have to give Mr H tips 😉 just kidding! (Don’t worry, Mr H is sure to read this comment haha).

13. Dalo 2013 2014-11-25 at 07:51

Your photo/food always looks just about perfect, so I think you must be foolin’ us a bit with your humility 🙂 I will have to check out your FB site, to see how the other side lives!

It is funny, though, how a blog with photos & writing that is just a minute slice of that person’s life, can create a perceived persona that is simply not true. I think it is a bit inevitable that we romanticize and glamorize what we do not fully understand… I better not write too much, I know you probably are going to be picked up by your drive in your Austin Martin, taken to the theatre to perform Chopin soon and afterwards meet the King…enjoy your wonderful evening 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-25 at 08:53

Hahahaha don’t forget that now we have a new King here, so all the more glam! 😉

14. Kiss & Make-up 2014-11-26 at 18:28

I love oven recipes, thanks for this one, I might give it a try some time 🙂

1. Sofia 2014-11-26 at 19:24

Do you eat fish?? xx

1. Kiss & Make-up 2014-11-26 at 19:34

No, but my fiancé does, a lot! I try out new things for him every once in a while and let him judge 😉 And I just shove a veggie oven dish in the oven for myself.