Raspberry Topped Overnight Oats

In Wilson’s scale of evaluations breakfast rated just after life itself and ahead of the chance of immortality.

– Robert. A. Heinlein, By His Bootstraps

The boiler, the apparatus that produces hot water and heats the radiators for me, stopped working yesterday. I must have had the evil eye cast upon me at some point, because these things always happen to me in the beginning of winter. Thankfully though, no cold waves had kicked in yet so I hadn’t had to turn on the heating for now. But no hot water, we know how annoying that can be.

I rang Andrew*, the guy that regularly looks and fixes the boiler. He said he’d come at midday to fix it. Fantastic.

This morning, however, I woke up to a thunderstorm that didn’t seem to show signs of ever stopping. Considering that the boiler is in the patio, at midday, just as I was wondering how Andrew would be able to stand in the pouring rain to open the boiler, he rings me and tells me he won’t be able to open the boiler in the middle of a thunderstorm.

I checked the weather report on my mobile, so as to have an idea of when the hot water might be back.

Bcn weather report

It didn’t look promising.

Contrary to the weather report, luckily, at 3:30 pm the sun came out, even though it was still raining. Yes, one of those rare moments. Then at 4:30 pm it stopped raining. Then at 5:20 pm Andrew rang and told me he’ll be over within 10 minutes. By 5:30 pm he had come over, what I think he did was wave a magic wand, and the boiler restarted again. Yay!

Raspberry overnight oats

Raspberry Topped Overnight Oats

I recently announced to Mr. H. that I was going to make some overnight oats. Overnight oats? He tried to control his eyebrow to not raise as it high as it desired to go. I was pretty sure of his thought process. Gosh, what new boho thing is this girl up to now? What has she caught off her food blogging friends this time?

I explained. Yes, overnight oats. You get oats, you pour some milk over them, you put them in the fridge and then you eat them for breakfast the next day.

Why overnight? Why not pour the milk that same morning?

So that the oats go mushy overnight.

Ok, I’ll admit that oats going mushy overnight doesn’t sound overly enticing. I can see his point. But the convenience of preparing the oats the night before, letting them go mushy, and then saving time the next day so that I just (photograph and then) eat them is great. Now that I’ve tried them, I’m convinced.

1/2 cup oats, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 handful raspberries, 2/3 cup almond milk

Simply put everything into a jar, bowl or cup in the same order as the ingredient list. Cover. Put in the fridge and leave them overnight.

Enjoy your breakfast!

*I modified his name slightly for confidentiality purposes.

1. Liz 2014-11-27 at 06:16

love overnight oats! But have never added what you did–I definitely will next time 🙂 This looks like a perfect breakfast for the cold winter we’re already well into. Glad you have your boiler fixed. Stay warm.

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:20

What haven’t you added Liz? Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for your cheerful messages that always make me smile 🙂

2. The Sicilian Housewife 2014-11-27 at 08:37

Just tweeted your recipe as it needs to be shared! They serve this in posh hotels in Switzerland and your mouthwatering photo brought back tasty memories. 🙂 Do you ever make it with yoghurt instead of milk? The Swiss do that too and it is also delicious.

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 10:13

Oh thanks 🙂 If a posh hotel serves it with yoghurt, I will do it like that sometimes too!

3. Pemberley Cup & Cakes by Rosa 2014-11-27 at 09:47

OMG, such a delicious way to start a brand new day, with or without hot water (preferably, with 😉 ). I believe this may be the easiest, yummiest recipe I’ve never come across! What a shame I have to wait till tomorrow… (I wish I had some Andrew’s magic wand with me now to move the clocks forward…)

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:21

Indeed, preferably with!
      You know I love posting EASY recipes 🙂 I think we both wished we had Andrew’s magic wand to do lots of magic tricks 😉

4. maamej 2014-11-27 at 10:32

I love overnight oats, tho I think of it as bircher muesli. I have it every morning except in mid winter when I have porridge. I have never had it with raspberries or almond milk though, that sounds delicious. I add pecans, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries & currants, with milk & yogurt & whatever fruit is in season and not outrageously expensive – from grated apple to blueberries. I’m glad you got your boiler back so fast, that weather forecast looked ominous.

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:24

It sounds like you make fabulous overnight oats, so much goodness you put into it!
      I’m so lucky the clouds went away for a while, because afterwards it started raining again and its been raining all day today too.

5. Sunny 2014-11-27 at 12:52

I’m so glad Andrew managed to fix your boiler promptly! Last winter we had a problem with gas, and we went DAYS with no heating, no hot water, no nothing! I had to go over to a friend’s for shower. It’s strange how much we take for granted in life!

I haven’t tried overnight oats, but I am very tempted now. Need to get some chia seeds as well!

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:26

Oh no, I’ve had that problem a few times! And in winter it’s horrible. And there in Belgium where it’s even colder,… brrrr poor you! I thought the same thing, once we are used to comfort we take it for granted!
      Ah the chia seeds are optional. I’m descovering that overnight oats are like salads, your imagination is the limit. I made am amazing one last night which I’ll post one day.
      xx

6. pianolearner 2014-11-27 at 18:43

I’ve never heard of overnight oats. might give this a try next time. I guess overnight cornflakes would be less appealing. Although when I was a kid I used to put milk on my wheatabix wait for them to go mushy, squish them down with a spoon so that the milk came out and make them into a bit of a slightly moist ‘cake’ and then slice them and eat them like cake….

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:27

Hahaha overnight cornflakes doesn’t sound appealing! You’ve just bought me back down memory lane, my brother and I used to do the same thing with wheatabix! 😛

7. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-27 at 20:08

I do not like oatmeal, but I do enjoy your blog, your posts, and your photos! Every single one of them. Even the ones that you say are NOT up to standards. You have a good eye, Sofia! Thanks for being my internet friend…maybe someday we’ll met. I would like that.

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:29

Happy Thanksgiving Guillermina, thanks too for being my internet friend and I wish to meet you too! Thank you for having written so many lovely messages, that I want you to know that many have made me smile when I’ve been having a tough day (like today!). And thanks for showing me your incredible food talents too through FB… (I still think you should start a blog!).

8. Guillermina Stover 2014-11-27 at 20:11

Oh, and thanks for all your great quotes! I have been collecting quotes since 2005, when I joined a women’s writing group. I left the group, but I still collect quotes…sometimes I post them on facebook…

1. Sofia 2014-11-27 at 22:30

I know you post them 😉 Was that since you were in Spain?

9. mysimpledelights 2014-11-28 at 11:49

Hahaha! My husband asked me the same question when I made him overnight oats for the first time. “Que?? Overnight oats?? What’s that?” But he enjoyed it. Yours look yummy! Sadly I can’t eat oats. Boo.

1. Sofia 2014-11-28 at 11:53

Why can’t you?

1. mysimpledelights 2014-11-28 at 12:01

I had a terrible incident of severe stomach pains after that overnight oats! I was in bed all day and threw up 5 times in the evening!

1. Sofia 2014-11-28 at 12:19

And you think it was the oats? Have you had this reaction to oats before? How many hours did it start AFTER the oats?

1. mysimpledelights 2014-11-28 at 12:36

It was almost immediately. Maybe 15 mins after I had it. Same thing happened after I had my homemade flapjacks. Not touched oats since.

1. Sofia 2014-11-28 at 14:52

Thats weird. Maybe you have an intolerance!

10. Dalo 2013 2014-11-29 at 07:22

Hope your hot water is back ~ like this recipe and will have to give it a go… Cheers!

1. Sofia 2014-11-29 at 21:26

It is back thankfully (hey, read properly!! 😉 ) The recipe is so dead easy it’s ridiculous, give it a go and have a great remainder of your weekend Randy!
      PS I saw you’ve had a moment of WP glory, great on you 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2014-11-29 at 23:37

Ha, ha ~ thank you Sofia. I’m doing too much travel right now…and just this morning I was thinking “why didn’t I use Sofia’s oatmeal recipe last night…” as I prepare to run out to catch another flight 🙂 Cheers to you!

1. Sofia 2014-11-30 at 10:02

Have a great trip!

11. Mitzie Mee 2014-12-05 at 06:28

Interesting. I’ve never tried overnight oats as I usually prefer my cereals crispy and crunchy, but I like oatmeal, so maybe I would like overnight oats too:) It looks really tasty with the raspberries on top:)