Chocolate, Hazelnut and Blackberry Overnight Oats

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

– Aesop

As I was speaking with my aunty the other day, we were saying that if you catch the plane a lot, you’ll have plenty of dodgy plane adventures. I haven’t caught the plane in a few months – but I will have to soon – so luckily I haven’t got any scary plane adventures to share today. And I hope I won’t have any ever actually. However recently I have had to go on the underground quite a bit, and I do have a cute underground adventure to share.

I’mย hanging onto a pole with one hand, the other hand holding my suitcase and handbag on the Barcelona underground. Next to me there is a lovely looking elderly lady speaking into her mobile phone.

Then, with all the naturalness in the world, with her one free hand, she just starts taking off the fluff from my coat. (Yikes, that means by coat was a tad unpresentable with bits sticking to it, from my woolly scarf). After she removed five bits of fluff, I said thank you. And she made a sign as if saying no problem! And continued to tidy my coat for another 30 seconds. I thought it was so sweet.

Anyway, soon after that we both had to get off, waved a goodbye and parted our ways.

When was the last time a stranger did something surprising and sweet for you?

Hazelnut, blackberry and chocolate overnight oats

Chocolate, blackberry, hazelnut overnight oats

Chocolate, Hazelnut and Blackberry Overnight Oats

I haven’t become a complete overnight oats addict. It’s not because I don’t think they taste good, on the contrary, I think they’re fantastic! I just, ahem, forget to make them the night before. This one is really recomendable. If you’re like me and sort of get up in too much of a rush or without any appetite in the mornings, the thought of these overnight oats waiting for you will make you want to have breakfast.

Ingredients (per serving):

1 handful blackberries, 1/2 handful hazelnuts, 1/2 handful chopped cooking chocolate, 1/2 cup oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 2/3 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Chop the cooking chocolate into more or less square chunks. Put the oats into a glass or jar. Add the chia seeds, blackberries, hazelnuts, chocolate and sugar. Pour the almond milk. Keep in the fridge overnight.

1. Sunny 2014-12-21 at 22:43

Wheee chocolate for breakfast: now we’re talking!

That elderly lady was so nice ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the last time a stranger did something nice was when I was walking around with a friend a couple of days ago. Her hat fell out of her bag and she didn’t realize it till a guy came running after us to give it back to her!

1. Sofia 2014-12-21 at 23:29

Yes, chocolate for breakfast. How often do you do that?
      That was nice of him ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sunny 2014-12-21 at 23:32

Uh I did have this cereal that has dark chocolate in it, but it’s been out of stock every time I went to the supermarket for the past month so I had to pick up the kind with nuts instead!

2. Saskia (1=2) 2014-12-21 at 23:27

OMG, that first photo!! Yum! That’s hilarious behaviour from a stranger, picking fluff off your coat โ€“ like a wild monkey!

1. Sofia 2014-12-21 at 23:29

Oh yeah it was sort of like a monkey-picking-off-flees moment ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Karen 2014-12-22 at 01:29

The kindness of strangersโ€ฆso nice. My husband has started eating oatmeal each morning, perhaps I’ll surprise him. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:19

Perhaps you should! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Guillermina Stover 2014-12-22 at 04:55

I was in the grocery store, oh, about 25 years ago, and had my handbag in the grocery cart. I turned to look at the produce and this charming & friendly woman told me, “never leave your purse like that, anyone can just take it from your cart” all the time smiling and making eye contact. It was very nice of her and since then, I ALWAYS give the same advice to young women. Since then, I NEVER lay my handbag anywhere but on my hand/arm!

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:20

That was nice of her! Yeah, you know you can’t just leave your bag hanging around in Spain either…

5. Guillermina Stover 2014-12-22 at 04:57

Sofia, I was beginning to wonder if you weren’t doing your blog anymore! So glad to hear from you today…you always have interesting and introspective articles…

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:21

Don’t worry Guillermina, I’m still doing it, it’s just that life was incredibly busy (and so much work!). I’ll also admit to a touch of writer’s block…

6. Guillermina Stover 2014-12-22 at 04:58

And one more thing. Recently I received a wonderful compliment from a niece, she’s about your age: she says I always have excellent shares on my facebook page. Made my day!

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:23

Well you do, I could have told you that too! I’m always saying you could start a blog ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve arrived in Andalucia today by the way. I remember you because I know you’d love it.

7. Mabel Kwong 2014-12-22 at 10:12

What a heartwarming post! So nice of the stranger to pick lint off your coat. But I bet at first you thought something bad was going to happen ๐Ÿ˜€ I remember once I dropped my work jacket on the tram while getting off and didn’t notice it during peak hour. A kind gentleman noticed and picked it up for me and gave it back to me.

I love oats! With chocolate that’s a bonus. Maybe add some banana too ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:24

Haha actually I didn’t feel like anything bad would happen at all! That was nice of the gentleman to do that, lucky you so you didn’t lose your jacket in the end.
      Hey you’re spot on, banana would go well with this ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Mabel Kwong 2014-12-23 at 10:55

Great. Banana. Now I’m thinking of banana bread. I hope you share a banana bread recipe with us someday, if you haven’t already ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-12-23 at 21:50

Haha I’ve made banana bread lots of times but never posted it because I never photographed it!

8. mysimpledelights 2014-12-22 at 11:28

Aww how sweet of the lady. I love that quote too! A few months ago I helped an elderly lady get some toasted bread on the top shelf as she could not reach it. She said her thanks and about 2 minutes later, she came up to me in another aisle of the supermarket and handed me a sweet. I thought it was so cute!๐Ÿ’›

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:25

Awww that’s really cute! <3

9. tableofcolors 2014-12-22 at 12:16

The overnight oats look delicious and thanks for sharing the sweet story ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Dalo 2013 2014-12-22 at 20:51

That is such a great story ~ in HK you’d never see such action… that would be very neat to see. Kind of that small town charm that still exists in the world, but is getting rarer.

As for the overnight oats, they look great ~ nice photos!

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:35

It’s not common to see such action here either, usually (as in most places in the world I guess) people are terrified of making eye contact with anyone… And any further exchange of anything which is not purely accidental is very rare indeed, which is why I loved this small exchange.
      Have a great week Randy! How many times do we wish each other this ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Dalo 2013 2014-12-23 at 02:14

Ha, ha ~ so true, so make this last week of the year the best ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-12-23 at 21:52

Yes! Are you back in the US yet?

1. Dalo 2013 2014-12-24 at 12:04

๐Ÿ™‚ Got back into Seattle a few days ago, and now in my hometown. Had a great Mexican meal ~ I miss good Mexican food when in Asia ๐Ÿ™‚

11. missemzyy 2014-12-22 at 22:06

I have been wanting to make overnight oats for a while now but always seem to forget! Your combo looks sooo delicious.. especially with the chocolate on top!! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2014-12-22 at 22:36

That’s what happened to me at the beginning, I’d forget. I hope you do make them soon though, it’s great to wake up thinking: oh a delicious breakfast is waiting for me!

12. Guillermina Stover 2014-12-22 at 22:54

You’re in Andalucรญaโ€”oh, how I wish I were there, too! Hugs and kisses to you AND your mother Lilik!!!! Happy Christmas to all!

13. fingerprintwriting 2014-12-24 at 01:57

Yummy!
    That was very sweet of the elderly lady to remove the lint from your coat.
    The most recent act of kindness that I received… the gentleman at the grocery store let me go ahead of him.
    Happy holidays to you and your family.

14. volupiaosegredo 2014-12-24 at 18:31

merry christmas and a happy new year…. good blog ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Liz 2014-12-27 at 18:47

great breakfast! Hearty and healthy and even a bit indulgent ๐Ÿ™‚ Funny story about cleaning your coat. Love when the universe tosses out quirks like that. Makes things more fun.