Finding the Font from The Grand Budapest Hotel

The other day I watched the film The Grand Budapest Hotel. The film is well known for it’s amazing cast of actors and just how entertaining it is as such. But, being a font lover like me, at the same time I was completely marvelling over its artistry,… and also over its fonts.

All through the film I was loving the fonts, for example in the newspapers, like this one:

Newspaper fonts

But there was an obvious recurring font, a main font, this one here:

the-grand-budapest-hotel-

I was noting it all the way through the film. Then I looked it up as soon as I could afterwards.

First I was looking in font websites, searching amongst all the slab serifs. I couldn’t find it. So after a while I directly wrote font grand budapest hotel in google. Sure enough, I’m not the only font nut on earth and plenty had already been written and documented about which font it was.

The font in question is called Archer font.

archer font

I was actually created for the magazine Martha Stewart Living – a commercial detail I was not thrilled to learn about. But hey. One has to admit it’s a cute font.

Indeed, fonts are one of my obsessions. Which was your last weird obsession?

(Visited 644 times, 1 visits today)

1. Kitsch n flavours 2015-01-26 at 00:08

That fact would put me off as well! Ouch. Talking of fonts, do you know of any reliable sites to use? I found a ‘Fabulous 50’s’ font that I happen to like but can’t import it into PS. BooHoo!

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 07:55

Yeah, it really did put me off. Hang on. what is PS? What do you want to incorporate it into?

1. Kitsch n flavours 2015-01-26 at 14:12

PS = Photoshop. I’m still using 6! It’s probably called something else these days. When I downloaded the TrueType Font file for Fabulous 50’s none of them had import included. Plus, I ended up with malware from one site. That’s why I thought I’d ask you for a reputable site. It’s for my business card and labels. ATM I’m using John Handy LET, but want to replace it with something less serious.

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 14:17

Oh yeah sorry! ofcourse PS. I have it in my computer but I don’t actually use it! Maybe you could ask someone that’s a proper designer, like Genie from Bunny Eats Design Blog! I’ve only downloaded a few fonts to my computer, but have never uploaded any into PS yet,… still have to learn how to do that! I’d love to see your business card when you finish them!

2. Sofia 2015-01-27 at 09:32

Hey Johnny, nothing to do with font but I just published a pork loin post (and I remembered this conversation we had a long while back) and I accidentally published it in the middle of writing it. Now what we can do, is that where the “published” button is, there is another one called “revert back to draft”. So phew! Its easy now to just put it back to draft state!

1. Kitsch n flavours 2015-01-27 at 12:32

Thanks for the info. Hadn’t noticed. ๐Ÿ™‚ But couldn’t help but notice that lots of people seem to be publishing early, ATM. I’m still using the old publisher as I really don’t like the blue one!

1. Sofia 2015-01-27 at 12:35

I’m getting used to the blue one (but still prefer the old one). The only thing I still haven’t mastered is that with the old one when insert a photo I have it in default centered (which is what I want). With the blue one, the photos go into the left and I have to manually change them one by one. Quite annoying. It probably doesnt matter because I make them the same pixel width as the column specifications anyway… Btw, I don’t really like the new stats page either! What about you?

1. Kitsch n flavours 2015-01-27 at 13:08

Me neither. I only ever use it for World views. I guess, with so many people using smart phones/tablets, that formats have to change. Too bad it looks kinda ridiculous on my laptop. ๐Ÿ™‚
                So glad to read you actually resize your photos! So few people do. With my connection I don’t bother viewing certain blogs if their photos take too long to download.

2. Sunny 2015-01-26 at 01:19

Hahaha you’re not the first person I know who has an obsession with fonts! I guess I have an opinion on which fonts I like more than the others, but I am not as obsessed!

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 07:56

Before my blog I was completely ignorant about them, now at least I know there are more like me ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Guillermina Stover 2015-01-26 at 01:50

I really like fonts, too, and obsess on which to use when emailing. But my weird obsession is…are you ready for this? Casting out nines. I learned this from Mrs. Clark, sixth grade modern math teacher. When doing arithmetic (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing) you add each column of figures and the 9 becomes a zero…make sense? So I would add license plates, and/or whenever I had a column of figures and didn’t have a calculator…you had to be there! I don’t do it as much nowadays, though…

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 07:58

Hahaha you always make me smile. Casting nines, I actually didn’t know about this. Either I was not taught it or I wasn’t paying attention. (maths is not my forte). Can you cast out other numbers, or must they be nines?

4. Liz 2015-01-26 at 06:25

Agreed, cool font. I remember being entranced by the font in American Hustle ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 07:56

I’ll have to check that one out Liz!

5. Kiss & Make-up 2015-01-26 at 11:44

I am always looking for that perfect font! ๐Ÿ™‚ What a cool post.

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 17:44

Yeah, I’m always also on the lookout for great fonts!

6. chef mimi 2015-01-26 at 14:18

Do you have a good source for fonts? I gave up years ago, but I still love them, even if I don’t use them much anymore. I used to use MS Publisher a lot when my kids were at home – flyers, brochures, fundraisers and the like. Seems like a lot of resources had catches. I don’t mind buying them if it’s a clean purchase, and no toolbars included!

1. Sofia 2015-01-26 at 17:45

I don’t really (and I’m no pro at this). But I sort of look around, different sites, if I see a font I like and its downloadable, I download it. But I don’t really have any preferences!

7. pianolearner 2015-01-27 at 13:18

A few years ago I found a fascinating book on typography in a bookshop. I didn’t buy it but I wish I had. I keep looking for it online, but although I see a lot of books on the subject I can never find the exact same one, and cannot remember it’s name.:(

8. Patty Nguyen 2015-02-01 at 03:08

Fonts are so much fun. I spent hours looking through them when creating my watermark!

1. Sofia 2015-02-01 at 10:40

I can relate!

9. Dalo 2013 2015-02-01 at 04:06

I must say this is one side of you I never would have guess…yet also not at all surprised ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m trying to figure out if I’ve ever really paid any attention to font ~ and I admit I have…now I am just worried that when I go watch the Budapest Hotel I will just be thinking “now with this font, I wonder if this is one Sofia liked?!?” and miss the whole movie! Cheers to a great weekend!

1. Sofia 2015-02-01 at 10:41

Hahaha You’ll see its the recurring font. Don’t worry, relax and enjoy the movie ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Shari 2015-03-10 at 17:13

I am a font freak too! Lately I’ve been obsessed with handwritten fonts and have been on a buying spree as well *covers eyes* Goodbye makeup, hello fonts!

1. Sofia 2015-03-10 at 22:46

Hi Shari, yay, a font friend! I did suspect you like fonts haha, as I love seeing your use of fonts in your blog xx

11. Pingback: Hotel Budapest Font – Number One Hotel