Strawberry, Raspberry and Chia Seed Jam

Imagination is the highest form of research.

– Albert Einstein

It was not too long ago I wrote here about how I am discovering that I’m creative and I somehow don’t have a scientific mind. My words have been bothering me ever since I wrote them. Even though I wrote them in the sense that perhaps I may be creative in the artistic approach, I hope to not have dishonoured any scientific minds out there because the truth is that hardcore scientists are really and truly creative.

I know this all too well, I studied a scientific degree at university. I’ll admit that my current job does not involve being in a laboratory mixing different liquids to see what happens. Goodness no. I was pretty bad at that in the laboratory sessions. I’m sure I would make something explode. Maybe another Big Bang. That might be fun. The truth was I always thought the first person to think up that for example the blue liquid with the pink liquid would produce a certain reaction must have been a creative genius. I would have never understood where to start.

Here are a few quick samples of creative scientific ideas that have changed our thinking so greatly that they are now commonplace today:

The earth is round: Copernicus was the one who is usually credited to have changed the idea of the earth being flat to it being round. Actually, long before he did, others such as Plato had already made such observations, such as how shadows would fall on the earth or the shape of the shadow of the earth onto the moon. Pythagoras made some calculations that proved that the earth is round, though the church didn’t take his calculations into esteem. Whatever the case, from the fact that we walk on flat ground to proving the earth was round must have taken some creative thinking.

The discovery of penicillin: The official story of the discovery of penicillin was that Alexander Fleming discovered it accidentally. No matter how accidental, I do think that realising the existence of antibiotics within in accident must have been pretty creative.

The discovery of DNA: The discovery of Deoxyribnucleic acid (aka DNA), as you can imagine, did not occur overnight. Watson and Crick are usually credited for the discovery, though within the discovery team there was also a woman, Rosalind Franklin, who is less well known for it because she didn’t win the Nobel Prize because she died before it was awarded and it can only be awarded to live people. The complex details of how DNA was discovered is, well, so complex that I won’t even go there. You can read about it here, here or here. What I can say is that there were many creative minds in the process of putting all the pieces together towards its discovery.

Talking about creativity, I’m lacking it in my jam photography department. I think all my jam photos look the same. I’ll try and improve next time…

Raspberry and strawaberry jam recipe

Homemade stawberry and raspberry jam

Strawberry, Raspberry and Chia Seed Jam

This jam was a complete pleasure to make. What a huge difference does pectin rich ingredients make. And chia seeds too, let’s not forget and be grateful to the chia seeds! I keep on wanting to write special post on pectin, but I’ll continue to leave that for another day when I have better clarity of mind. Procrastinating?

Ingredients (makes about 1 1/2 jars):

500g strawberries, 125g raspberries, juice of 1/2 lemon, juice of 1/2 orange juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon chia seeds

Wash all of the fruit.

Cut the strawberries into smallish pieces. Put into a large saucepan long with the lemon juice and orange juice. Bring to boil for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bring down to low heat. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the strawberries have more or less dissolved.

Add the raspberries. Continue cooking and stirring for a few minutes on low heat. Add the sugar. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes on low heat. Add the chia seeds. Continue cooking and stirring for about 10 minutes.

Pour into sterilised jars.

Homamade strawberry and raspberry jam

1. lizdouitsis 2015-03-16 at 00:40

Looks delicious! Love the quote, too 🙂

2. Sunny 2015-03-16 at 01:54

OK so this is interesting. Dr. D is a chemist, but he once told me IMAGINATION is an important part of his job. I was like you’re saying random things, but he said you first have to imagine a structure and then figure out a way of making that a reality. Not sure if all chemists work that way, but I think to a certain extent, scientists do have to be creative!

Never thought you could put chia seeds into jam! Also, that bread looks glorious. You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to get hold of good bread here. I have pretty much given up!

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 10:39

Oh indeed! Also, you have to be so creative to IMAGINE it in the first place! And to be the first to think up a theory and experiments around it is pure imagination.
      Chia seeds help make the jam “jellier” quicker! What you can’t get good bread there? I would have though you can get it easily in Belgium.

3. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-03-16 at 09:35

Oh, I need to try this. I love how it’s so easy to make. I wonder if I can substitute the sugar with something else though…

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 11:03

Hmmm I had a look around and apparently you can substitute it with stevia or honey, but not in the total proportions (like half half) because the sugar acts apart from as a sweetener, as a preservative too. But on the other hand if you only make a small batch for your family, I’m sure it will be gone in no time and no need for a preservative acting ingredient..

4. Mabel Kwong 2015-03-16 at 10:19

Creativity is everywhere…it just manifests in different forms! I hope that you like what you are currently doing, Sofia. You sound very happy 🙂 That jam looks delicious. What a stunning red. Usually, the more bright and vivid a dish looks, the more I want to eat it!

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 11:04

Funny, I also think the brighter and vivid a dish looks the more I want to eat it too! What is it with colours?

1. Mabel Kwong 2015-03-18 at 10:38

More like what’s wrong with us?! We shouldn’t be discriminating against foods 😉

5. The Sicilian Housewife 2015-03-16 at 11:50

Lovely article, I like your point that scientists are creative – definitely able to think outside the box and into dimensions that are way beyond the imagination of most people!
    And I love your jam photos! How can jam ever be dull?
    Though perhaps it deserves more exciting jars? I was sorely tempted by some fab preserve jars in a shop last week with ceramic lids shaped like rabbits, chickens, cats etc – they would have looked absolutely spectacular with different jams in them.

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 11:05

Yes indeed scientists are very creative!
      It sounds like you found some really fun jam jars 🙂 xx

6. Liz 2015-03-17 at 04:10

What a fun post 🙂 I have a degree in Food Science and never did well in any of the general science classes. Broke just about every piece of glassware I touched in chemistry labs. But food science classes were fun and I did well. Just need the right application.

Brilliant to make chia the thickener in jams. Your creation is gorgeous and looks so tasty!

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 11:07

You make me laugh, I don’t remember breaking any glassware thank goodness, but I just remember that I didn’t think I could get my head around many of the experiments!

7. Amanda | What's Cooking 2015-03-17 at 06:18

I love your jams and I like your fascination with science. It’s funny that you’d excuse your photography because i was just thinking how beautiful and red and professional your jam looked! Stunning.

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 10:37

How kind Amanda! Haha well I did study a scientific degree so once in a while I have to contemplate on it, right? 😉

8. laurasmess 2015-03-17 at 10:17

I love chia seed jam, it’s become a firm favourite after my first couple of attempts! This one looks gorgeous Sofia – love your photos. You always write SUCH interesting stuff in your posts, way more thoughtful than the contemplative stuff I write, haha. Glad that you’re doing well! x

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 10:35

I started using chia seeds a few jams back because of you Laura! 🙂 Oh don’t say that, I was just thinking recently how your contemplative stuff is so lovely! xx

1. laurasmess 2015-03-17 at 11:50

Oh really? I was wondering if it was after my chia jam post but it’s been so long I couldn’t remember! This is gorgeous anyhow. And I’m glad you like the contemplative stuff 😘 Appreciate it! Xx

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 12:26

Yes really! <3

9. Kiss & Make-up 2015-03-17 at 10:19

I would KILL for a pancakes with that jam right now!

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 10:26

Me too! I have the jam, lets make some pancakes!

10. Guillermina Stover 2015-03-17 at 21:53

Lovely jewel-like jam! And beautiful thoughts on creativity. Curious minds are creative. And I like how you think, Sofia. Did you see my fb posting from a few days ago? Of poaching an egg in Shakshouka???

1. Sofia 2015-03-17 at 22:39

Guillermina, I’ll have to check, I’ve been quite absent!!

11. pianolearner 2015-03-17 at 22:37

Your mention of the round earth reminds me of a great book I once read called ‘Measuring the Universe’ by the science writer and musician Kitty Ferguson.

12. Patty Nguyen 2015-03-30 at 20:59

You should do a jam challenge and see how many ways you can photograph jam! I will be waiting patiently. 😉

1. Sofia 2015-03-30 at 23:09

Hey thanks for the idea 🙂

13. Dalo 2013 2015-04-04 at 14:23

Hey, this jam looks and sounds incredible… I am a huge raspberry jam fan, it is easily my favorite (apricot being a distant #2). Now blend in some strawberry with the raspberry and I think it would be great (along with the chia seeds…I’m a big fan). And your last photo looks so good ~ good enough to fly over to Spain and try 🙂

Wishing you a great Easter holiday ~ enjoy the weekend!

1. Sofia 2015-04-05 at 00:10

Yep I’m a huge raspberry (and also strawberry) jam fan too. Apricot not so much….
      Well fly over to Spain then! I’m waiting! Wishing you a great Easter too Randy xx

1. Dalo 2013 2015-04-05 at 06:38

I just may…that jam, your photos and of course that Debussy (and Chopin) concert that would follow would make it worth it ~

1. Sofia 2015-04-05 at 12:13

I’ll also make you a burger or whatever you request 🙂