Tofu with Sweet Sticky Indonesian Soya Sauce

Just for a few giggles, let’s go a bit into the strange insights of the search engine terms that lead to my blog. Even though Papaya Pieces is a food blog, or an excuse for such, if you looked at my search engine terms you would come to the conclusion that I’m a world expert on the following topics and in this order:

Betel nut chewing in Papua New Guinea

Font of the Grand Budapest Hotel

Photography black and white challenge

Sharia law in Brunei

Shark attacks in the Mediterranean

With the regards shark attacks in the Mediterranean, even though I do have an insignificant post that could suggest it, I’m afraid one would be very disappointed as to what information they could find there. With regards to font of the Grand Budapest Hotel, it sort comforts me the know that I’m not the only person in the world who is mad enough to investigate the fonts used in the movie.

Ok, I won’t be that hard on myself because sometimes Google does pick up on some of my food related posts. The most popular search term to my blog is:

Mascarpone in smoothies

For goodness sake, with all the effort I’ve put into cooking, it mostly picks up on a mascarpone smoothie… What mastery!

What does Google think about you? Have you checked?

Tofu with Sweet Indonesian Soya Sauce

Tofu with Indonesian Soya Sauce

Tofu with Sweet Sticky Indonesian Soya Sauce

I used kecap manis in this dish, which is an Indonesian soya sauce. It is sweeter and thicker than typical soya sauce.

500g hard tofu, 2 tablespoons kecap manis,  1 clove garlic, 1 red chilli, salt, black pepper, 1 teaspoon cornflour, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds

Cut the tofu into cubes. Crush the garlic. Chop the chilli.

Heat the oil in a large wok. Once the oil is very hot, add the garlic. Stir for a few seconds. Add the tofu, kecap manis, chilli, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook and stir for about 30 seconds.

Mix the cornflour in half a cup of water. Add to the wok. Cook and stir until it is reduced and the sauce is thick.

Sprinkle the sesame seeds. Serve with some white rice.

1. A Home Cook 2015-04-05 at 23:23

You have to laugh at what google thinks some websites are. All it needs is that one obscure-yet-popular search item and you’re done. I seem to have been left unscathed – it’s all about food and a recipe for washing powder, but food is pretty well all I do!

1. Sofia 2015-04-05 at 23:32

Lucky you 🙂 Ok, with mine I guess it’s my fault for rambling on about weird topics!

1. A Home Cook 2015-04-05 at 23:37

But it does make it more interesting to more people. 🙂

2. Sunny 2015-04-05 at 23:29

Oh God, sometimes the strangest things do show up in Google search terms! The funny thing is the first few search terms related to my blog all have something to do with the name of the blog, which I personally find confusing!

The tofu looks so yum! Do you think it’ll work with regular soy sauce?

1. Sofia 2015-04-05 at 23:30

Haha then I bet people try to look up the weather report on your blog?!
      Sure this should work with regular soya sauce, and if you want it sweet just add some honey.

3. Dalo 2013 2015-04-06 at 04:55

Dish looks great ~ and it is funny and a testament to how long I’ve been following your blog, as I could remember many of those topics that were brought up in your blog 🙂
    Cheers to a great and refreshing week for you…

1. Sofia 2015-04-06 at 15:40

Aaawww.. I wish you a great week!

4. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-04-06 at 15:37

Things are pretty boring at first when I search for ChloeAsh. Then it just gets confusing. LOL! We always use Kecap Manis for our fried rice and dry noodles. Very yummy!!

1. Sofia 2015-04-06 at 15:39

Lol! Hey you’re lucky you can probably get kecap manis easily there. Here everytime I run out, trying to find a new bottle is always an adventure… The few Asian stores here do not always sell it 🙁

1. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-04-06 at 15:41

Aaw, that sucks. Here, we get so many brands, it’s difficult to find one that’s the best. LOL!

1. Sofia 2015-04-06 at 15:41

See, another reason to move there and be your neighbour 😉

1. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-04-06 at 15:42

Oh yes please. You make breakfast since I’ll be busy with the baby and I’ll provide cakes 🙂

5. pianolearner 2015-04-06 at 18:46

Some funny searches there.
    Mostly my searchers are looking for Collard pianos or free sheet music for pieces I’ve mentioned. My wife Wellywoman, gets quite a few people looking for welly related fetishes.

I never remember to buy tofu from the shops…..

1. Sofia 2015-04-07 at 18:45

Does she get things like pink rain boots? 😉 I mean if I wanted to buy wellies, pink would be an option!
      One day I’ll ping you telling you to buy tofu. Hopefully at that moment you’ll be in the shop, then you’ll remember to buy some!

6. sonicoctarine 2015-04-07 at 18:31

Oh. My. God. I wish I could take some tofu out of your pictures. It’s killing me, I wanna try it. I will see if I can find quality tofu here but I’m not very confident that I will 🙁

I love the new look on your blog!! I mean I don’t know how long you’ve had it but I only just saw it. Very stylish!! 🙂

1. sonicoctarine 2015-04-07 at 18:32

Also, the Grand Budapest Hotel is so good in so many ways. I enjoyed that movie like no other!

2. Sofia 2015-04-07 at 18:42

Thank you, I changed the design a few times but I’m really liking it at the moment so hopefully I’ll stop fidgeting at that now 😉 Good luck with the tofu…

1. Sofia 2015-04-07 at 18:42

Yeah, so entertaining!

7. Bunny Eats Design 2015-04-08 at 04:57

I think you know how I feel about seeing what search terms people use to get to my blog. It’s one of my favourite past times. I think the key thing is to use colourful words in your descriptions…that is, if you want to be entertained.

I never actually cook tofu because The Koala said he doesn’t care for it. It’s a bit unfair though because I happen to like tofu, but because I don’t want to risk cooking something only one of us likes, I avoid it. This looks yummy though, I bet it would go great as a beer snack 🙂

8. Michelle 2015-04-08 at 05:20

I do love that you were interested in the “font of the Grand Budapest Hotel.” And the tofu looks grand.

9. maamej 2015-09-17 at 10:13

That’s pretty funny about the font search. I’ll have to do it myself now. My very top search term is Gary Cooper because I mentioned in a post that my Dad was supposed to look like him (and I used a wiki pic of him). Other than that, I’m kind of the reverse of you – I don’t blog a lot about food but terms related to Ghanaian food bring in a lot of traffic – I did a series of posts on Ghanaian street food, so at least they get what they came for 🙂

I love the look of that tofu & wil have to try it. What vegies would you suggest as a side dish?