A Visit to Bodegas Luis Pérez

It was like discovering a wine-cellar filled with bottles of amazing wine of a kind a flavour never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me.

– J.R.R. Tolkein

I have a new crush. This summer I visited Bodegas Luis PérezLuis Pérez Winery – and now I am in love with the place, the nature, the science, the wine and the beauty.

Bodegas Luis Pérez is a relatively new winery. It was founded in 2002 by the prestigious University Professor of Chemistry and Enology, Luis Pérez. He had a vision to build his own winery with the help of his family. The project was beautifully carried out, and has now turned into a successful wine producing company. It is located on top of a hill in the Andalusian town of Jerez, surrounded by an amazing view of the Andalusian countryside, plus of it’s own vineyards. Just like a beautiful dream.

Luis Perez red grape

Grape varieties Luis Perez

Grape vines Luis Perez

Green grapes Luis Perez

Tour Guide of the Winery

I was lucky be able to visit Bodegas Luis Pérez guided by none other but one of his daughters. She herself is a chemist, so I was treated to not just the popular touristy aspects of a winery, but also to all the nerdy scientific insights of the grapes and of the wine making process. You know I like that.

Luis Perez grapes winery

Jerez – or Sherry in English – is an area that thrives on vineyards. Today most of the vineyards specialise in sherry style wines, which are mainly white wines. Luis Pérez decided to specialise in red wines instead. This caused quite an uproar in the region amongst the other wineries. However, he pointed out that in fact, red wine was originally produced in the region since thousands of years ago, so we could say it was like a return to their origins. Whatever the case, their red wine producing endeavour has already proven to be a success.

Grape juice Luis Perez

Apart from the taste, red wine is interesting! Maybe you had realised – because I hadn’t until now – that the juice from red grapes is in fact whitish transparent in colour. To give red wine it’s rich red colour, the grapes firstly need to be macerated with all its components. The pigments from the skin of the grapes is what will give the wine its colour. The seeds will be there in the macerated mix too, so the quality of the seeds are of utmost importance. They are where the tannins are concentrated. Tannins give quite a bitter taste and are astringent, so they will give that rough astringent quality to red wines. Therefore, with red wines, the variety and quality of the grapes are important so that the seeds let out the desired tannins and taste.

Grapes Luis Perez Spain Jerez

We were shown that once the grapes are harvested, they are macerated in big steel vessels.

Wine making Luis Perez

Luis Perez winery Spain

After that they are transferred to oak barrels. Some of the barrels here are American, and most of them are French, which I believe are the most sought of because of their superior quality. Correct me if I’m wrong…

Luis Perez dog

Barrels Luis Perez

Luis Perez Barrels of wine

Wine Tasting Session

Once our heads were exploding with our newly learnt wine information, we were lead to the most beautifully decorated salon, and presented with an unforgettable wine tasting experience. It included three of their wines, plus a tasting of tapas of local produce: hams, cheeses and pâté. Oh, and their own very special olive oil made with arbequina olives.

Luis Perez living room

Wine tasting at Luis Perez winery

Wine tasting at Luis Perez

Indeed, we bought a few bottles of wine. I can’t wait to make a special dinner to open the first bottle.

Luis Perez wines

Samaruco wine

Luis Perez Samaruco

Luis Perez Garum wine

Luis Perez wine Jerez

1. Patty Nguyen 2015-09-02 at 05:08

Lovely series of photos, Sofia! Also, my toes match your fingers. TEEHEE.

1. Sofia 2015-09-02 at 10:56

Thanks Patty! My toes match your toes and my fingers too 😛 (this was my favourite nail colour this summer, lol). xx

2. Mabel Kwong 2015-09-02 at 05:50

I don’t drink, but glad to hear you enjoyed the wines. These are lovely photos. My favourite has to be the one of the single grape and the water droplet on top of it. Well captured with one hand 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-09-02 at 10:58

Maybe you should try a few sips once in a while 😉 Hey thanks, I was worried that photo might turn out a bit blurry.

3. Dalo 2013 2015-09-02 at 05:58

Isn’t it great when you see something that started off as a dream and then becomes real ~ this seems to be what you’ve found with Bodegas Luis Perez. Great description in words “the nature, the science, the wine and the beauty” and I can easily see how falling in love with this place is possible (especially after a bottle or two…). Great photos that add to the image you create with your writing. I’m enjoy a glass of red right now to toast to this adventure of yours 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-09-02 at 11:08

Even before the tasting I was in love with the place 😉 Which wine were you drinking?

1. Dalo 2013 2015-09-02 at 19:17

A Pinot Noir – Oregon has some great ones. Given a choice, though, a Cabernet Sauvignon is my choice. Goes well with everything I think 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-09-02 at 19:18

Hmmm, I think so too 🙂

4. chef mimi 2015-09-02 at 16:08

I love visiting wineries because the buildings are always so beautiful! Plus tasting the wine is nice, too! Pretty pictures!

1. Sofia 2015-09-02 at 17:44

Yeah, aren’t wineries so beautiful?! Thanks, I’m glad you liked it xx

5. pianolearner 2015-09-03 at 17:59

As usual, fantastic photos! I liked your little pun too about having as ‘crush’ on the place.

1. Sofia 2015-09-03 at 18:01

I wish I was there to crush the grapes…

6. Mitzie Mee 2015-09-04 at 09:51

What an interesting post! I like red wine and the traditions and the stories behind usually make the wine taste even better. I guess that’s why I usually prefer the Spanish and French wines to the Australian ones. I sometimes add grape juice to my smoothies, so I knew that grape juice is usually clear white, but I didn’t know the thing about the seeds. Have you tried one of the bottles yet?

1. Sofia 2015-09-04 at 09:55

I have a cousin who is really into wines, and once I went to a dinner with him and his “wine friends”. It was so interesting because they all had stories about all the wineries they had been visiting, so interesting! I haven’t opened the bottles yet… xx

7. Guillermina Stover 2015-09-04 at 19:28

I am impressed by the quality of your wonderful photos…and of red wine in Jerez! Who would have thought? I will have to make another trip to Andalucía. First New York City. Then a return to Barcelona, then Croatia, possibly South America after that, then Scandinavia. Oh, I don’t have time to die, so I will definitely postpone that! LOL… The exquisite photos of the winery look like they are taken in México!! Beautiful…

1. Sofia 2015-09-06 at 00:19

I’ve jealous about going to NY 😉 I love it! Oh so many places to go to, you’re tight, we cannot die, have to postpone that.
      Haha people always say that such and such place in Spain look like Mexico, I say Mexico looks like Spain 🙂

8. Dorcas Nung-Blake 2015-09-06 at 05:44

Oh my goodness, what a lovely place! Thanks for taking us there through your beautiful photos and description. I also did not realize that the juice of red grapes isn’t red! I didn’t think about the seeds either, that it’s all pressed together. I was in Jerez once about a million and a half years ago, and just remember it being this sleepy little place with stray-looking dogs wandering around everywhere. I guess things have changed! Cheers!

1. Sofia 2015-09-07 at 09:40

Yeah, so much interesting scientific stuff in the wine! Really, what were you doing in Jerez? Jerez is full of wineries, only ofcourse most of them are out in the countryside.