The Alfajor from Medina Sidonia

Until this very instant as I’m typing out these words, I didn’t know that my next round of posts are sort of going to be like a belated photo diary of my travels (and food) of this summer. A memoir. You may get very bored with all this, I don’t blame you, but I’ll do it egoistically to keep some memories. I’m not even sure I can do this self-challenge on top of all my obligations because there are not enough hours in the day to process my photos and above all my mind. Because sometimes writing in Papaya Pieces is kind of therapeutical for me, it sort of sorts out my mind.

Anyway, this is just a quick post as I had promised to show some sweets from Medina Sidonia. In fact it will only be one sweet, the alfajor, as no other sweet was photographed. Just listen to it, pronounce the words: Alfajor from Medina Sidonia. As mentioned in my Medina Sidonia post, many of these White Villages have Medieval Muslin influences in their names and in their sweets, and the alfajor is a great example.

Alfajor from Medina Sidonia

It’s like a very heavy almond and honey mass, basically all mushed and compacted together into a cylinder shape. Just cut it like a chorizo. It’s actually typically eaten at Christmas time, but because I bought some this summer and didn’t want to wait for Christmas, I had some everyday for breakfast. Why not?

Alfajor

(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)

1. Sunny 2015-09-15 at 23:46

OOO interesting! I’ve never seen or heard of this, but somehow the looks of it do remind me of North African/Middle Eastern sweets I’ve seen. I’m with you on eating some of this for breakfast, too! Life is short. Why not?

1. Sofia 2015-09-17 at 08:10

You’re right, life is short, eat whatever you please for breakfast!

2. pianolearner 2015-09-16 at 00:23

Alfajor sounds much better than Almond Honey Sausage so I can see why they went for that instead. Although….. Almond Honey Sausage could be the name given to a child by a celebrity couple.

1. Sofia 2015-09-17 at 08:11

Hehe indeed it sounds better than Almond Honey Sausage. Can you imagine, we see it in the news tomorrow some celebrity child called that?

3. Ginger 2015-09-16 at 14:21

Gorgeous! I’ve never come across them before but they look amazing! My type of sausage, I suppose. Together with most sausages, acutally … 😉

1. Sofia 2015-09-17 at 08:14

Yes, in general I like all types of sausages too! Actually, there’s this place in Barcelona which is known to be the best sausage shop here, and they actually also have things like chocolate sausages!

1. Ginger 2015-09-17 at 09:47

Sounds like a dream come true! We went to Barcelona two years ago but clearly missed out on that! 🙂

4. maamej 2015-09-17 at 10:03

It looks delicious – I thought i must be dried fruit, but honey works for me too.

5. Guillermina Stover 2015-09-17 at 19:56

So, Sofia, what are you trying to do to me? Squeeze out all my tears??? LOL! Tears of sadness, remembering my life in Andalucía…and tears of joy, remembering the wonderful pastries and sweets!!! Ahhhhhhh….

1. Sofia 2015-09-18 at 17:59

Oh dear, I plan on publishing way more Andalucia photos….

6. Mitzie Mee 2015-09-17 at 20:47

I think I had something similar. It was much too sweet for me, but it smelled so delicious (like christmas), so I would keep it in the apartment anyway:) Love that you’re having it for breakfast.

1. Sofia 2015-09-18 at 17:59

I’ll eat it for you! 🙂

7. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-09-19 at 14:59

Oh how interesting! It reminds me of a local sweet, but ours are crunchy. Made of peanuts and honey syrup. So we have lots of semi crushed peanuts held together by this honey mixture, both put in a mould and let it set / harden. After that, just break it into pieces (manufacturers usually cut it into little rectangles) and enjoy!

8. Dalo 2013 2015-09-22 at 19:32

Nothing like getting a peak into someone’s life and travels – so keep up the memoirs of your summer travel (and beyond). It is always nice to reflect back on travel and ourselves, and then enjoy a bit of the flavors of those places. Cheers to a great week Sofia ~

9. laurasmess 2015-09-23 at 07:00

This looks delicious, I love fruit and nut based sweets (probably my favourite these days). Love the idea of this being cut like chorizo also. Heaps of fun to see something that ‘resembles’ something else… and then you cut into it and get a surprise! 🙂