White Villages II: Photographs from Vejer

One of the White Villages we went to this summer was Vejer. Unlike Medina Sidonia, it was one of the most (cough cough) touristy ones. Even so, it was really nice and yes I would not say you shouldn’t visit it if you were around the area.

It’s quite typical in Andalucia, and Spain, to see ceramic signs dedicated to some important person or another. Usually these are painters, doctors or brave people from the army. It was a nice surprise in Vejer to see one dedicated to a photographer.

Vejer 02

Because I’ve taken a liking to photography, when I plan to do some more serious photos than just through my iphone, I walk around with my camera around my neck. With a camera dangling off me, along with the fact that I look foreign and have a weird accent when I speak in Spanish, I’m aware that most locals take me for another tourist wherever I am in Spain. Sometimes they’ll talk to me really slowly as if they think I’m just learning Spanish. Or they’ll compliment me on my very well spoken Spanish. Which is quite funny. Or they will slowly and clearly explain some kind of local delicacy I have eaten tons of times before.

Vejer 06

Vejer 01

Vejer 03

For me, actually, it’s quite a weird feeling. Yes, I know I look like a tourist, and yes I do partly feel very foreign. But I’m half Spanish so I feel half Spanish, I live in Spain and yes I speak Spanish. I feel like writing on my forehead: no, I’m not a tourist, no need to act like I am one!

Vejer 17

Vejer 07

Vejer 08

Vejer 15

Anyhow, after this little bit of grumbling, the truth is, yeah I was a tourist in Vejer, because no I don’t live in that village. So, so what, I’ll click away as if I were one.

Vejer 11

Vejer 12

Vejer 13

Vejer 14

Vejer 05

Vejer 09

VEjer 16

Thank you for visiting!

1. Anna 2015-09-27 at 01:09

Love your blog! Great work!

2. maamej 2015-09-27 at 01:20

Lovely collection of pics, it does look worth a visit, not that I’m going to be in Spain any time soon. It is funny feeling like a tourist when you’re not. I sometimes feel like that in the suburb where I work, because I’m always taking photos, usually of the abundant street art.

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:47

Thanks! I’ll provide you with pics even if you wont be here soon 😉 Haha but do the rest act like you’re a tourist?

3. Mabel Kwong 2015-09-27 at 12:20

Beautiful architecture. I think you have an eye for that kind of photography. It must be very funny to get mistaken for being a tourist and for being foreign 😉 But I’m sure it strikes up many a great conversation and you meet people that way 😀

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:49

Well I look kind of Asian so it’s normal. But it’s so funny when they say: You speak Spanish very well. hee hee. Yeah, the good thing is that they start explaining loads of things, so I get to “refresh my concepts” 😉

4. GalOnTrip 2015-09-27 at 16:18

that’s why i miss spain a lot! the view, colourful tiles, the alleys, the Mediterranean atmosphere. too bad now i live too far from spain but i know one day i’ll be back there to have a visit. so lucky that you live in barcelona, one of the most beautiful cities in the world 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:51

Yes, lovely tiles here! I see you’ve been in Spain quite a bit, where did you like it most?

5. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-09-27 at 17:30

I can look at your photos the whole day, Sofia. They are breathtaking!

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:51

Aww thanks Lily xx

6. Mitzie Mee 2015-09-27 at 19:27

Can’t get enough of those gorgeous white villages! So funny that they take you for being a tourist. It sometimes happen to me as well in Copenhagen, especially, when I’m bringing my camera. Asian + camera = must be tourist. Sometimes I even have other Danes speaking to me in English (*lol*) and sometimes I just play along and ask them silly questions:)
    Cool that they dedicated the sign to a photographer. maybe someday in the future, there will be a sign dedicated to a blogger (you?) 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:52

Ahh yes I can imagine you being in the same situation 🙂 Or they speak to you slowly so that you understand 😉 Haha I don’t think there will ever be a sign dedicated to me unless I put it up myself in my living room wall 😛

7. Guillermina Stover 2015-09-27 at 22:36

Gorgeous photos, Sofia, of Vejer. Been there too! And the photo of the floor almost seemed as it was moving when you scroll down—cool! I enjoyed your mini-rant about looking foreign and being native. You are adorable…

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:53

You’re right, I just went back to look and the floor moves! I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂 xx

8. Dorcas 2015-09-28 at 07:53

I love your photos. What a strong sense of place, not like “tourist” shots at all but from the point of view of someone who clearly understands the place. I’m especially partial to the shot of the pans and vessels. Moody in a good way! Funny my half-Flemish nephew was just telling me about how he walks around Brussels pretending he is an Asian tourist because his French is awful. So he says people forgive him for it! Cheers! More pictures please!

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:55

Oh thanks! Actually as soon as I walked into the kitchen room and saw the pans and lighting, I knew I had to photograph it! Sometimes like your nephew, I also pretend to be a tourist, just to see what interesting things people have to say 🙂

9. Amanda | What's Cooking 2015-09-28 at 20:28

These photos are stunning. I know what you mean about being a tourist. I think a lot of people in the States deal with this issue as a permanent identity issue. Are you “American” if you were born here, but your parents are from elsewhere? Are you a hyphen? i.e. Colombian-American? You’re certainly not just the former of the hyphen because in that country if you don’t speak the language you’re American. But you can’t be American because you also clearly belong to another country. And so on and so forth. I say we’re all tourists of the world.

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:57

Yes thats true, we are all tourists of the world. Its funny you bring this up because some people take that as racism. I on the other hand, if someone doesn’t realise I’m foreign, I’m thinking: are you blind or what, or are you just pretending to be politically correct? hehe. I EXPECT people to ask where I’m from. Yep, we are from the world 🙂

10. Michelle 2015-09-29 at 12:01

That’s funny. And the photos beautiful. I’ve always wanted to visit some white villages, but haven’t done so yet. When I do, I’ll definitely have a camera around my neck. But I’ll leave to Spanish to Steve, so the locals will just think me a mute tourist. 😉

1. Sofia 2015-09-30 at 11:58

Oh you must, the White Villages are so charming! And yes, don’t forget your camera when you do! A mute tourist, hehe xx

11. Patty Nguyen 2015-10-01 at 07:46

I love your perspective, Sofia. Such a great gallery.

1. Sofia 2015-10-01 at 19:25