Double Celebration

Does something big need to happen for a celebration? Not at all. This post celebrates a village fiesta, and a small geeky milestone.

The Village Fiesta

That time we had dinner in Grazalema, afterwards we went to the main village to hang out in the Fiesta Mayor de Grazalema. To be honest I’m not even sure how to properly define a fiesta mayor. It’s just like a big street party held each year during a certain week or weeks in a town, village, or even just a neighbourhood. I suspect that, unlike other fiestas that actually have a motive, the fiesta mayor usually does not. So as you see, any or no excuse is good enough to decorate the streets, bring out a band, eat, drink and celebrate, well, life.

Grazalema party 12

Grazalema party 05

Grazalema party 10

Grazalema party 08

After being accustomed to a world in which everyone seems grumpy and I always feel like I’m treading on some fuzzy line between what I can and cannot photograph, I was delighted that the local band wanted me to snap pictures of them.

Grazalema party 04

Music.

Grazalema party 09

Grazalema party 07

Grazalema party 01

Lights.

GRazalema party 06

Drinks. Just be merry.

Grazalema party 02

Grazalema party 11

The Small Geeky Milestone

It occurred to me that I wanted to make an animated photo thing. A bit of investigation led to learn that what I wanted is an animated gif. Allow me to present my first ever animated gif:

Grazalema dance

How awesome is that! Once I inserted it and saw it worked, I did a tiny silly dance waving myself around. A bit like the kids in the photos. Why don’t you also do a tiny dance to celebrate with me? Or just to celebrate life.

Thank you for visiting!

1. Alex Smithson 2015-10-12 at 21:44

Ooooh, I quite like the way you took this B&W photo, what exposure and aperture did this photo have when you took it? This is amazing :-).

Alex Smithson

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:46

Hi Alex, Thanks for stopping by and asking. I suppose you mean the 1st photo. The settings were 1/60 and f/8.. and then I converted it into black and white with photoshop. Is that considered cheating?
      Have a great week.

1. Alex Smithson 2015-10-13 at 23:50

Hahaha in my book Sofia, I don’t consider that cheating at all, it’s good to change up a photo now and then, as you can make it into something that you want it to be :-).

Keep up the good work, and feel free to drop by Mother Nature sometime Sofia, as I’ll be publishing articles regularly, keeping you up-to-date on the interests I have and also share :-).

Alex Smithson

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:53

Oh phew!
          I just dropped by 🙂

2. Dorcas 2015-10-13 at 02:38

Beautiful shots that capture the celebratory spirit of this place and moment. Love it. And love the idea of having a party for no particular reason. Those are the best. Let’s banish grumpiness and please, more animated GIFs. This one was such fun!

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:47

Oh thank you! Yes, impromptu celebrations are the best. Making the gif was so much fun so now I hope to be able to publish some once in a while 🙂 xx

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:48

Thanks! I hope to make more 🙂

3. Mabel Kwong 2015-10-13 at 04:30

Lovely shots all round. That was really sporting of the band to give you a thumbs up. Everyone certainly looks like in a festive mood. You make a good musician/band photographer 😉 That is such a lovely gif and I love the look on the girl’s face, the moment when she looks surprised. Looks like her first time dancing 😀

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:55

Yay, for a moment I turned around to see if the band was giving a thumbs up to someone else, lol. But nooo, it was for me to snap away at them <3 The girl is so young that who knows, maybe you're right, maybe it's her first time dancing. And she does it really well!

1. Mabel Kwong 2015-10-14 at 13:06

Well, I am sure you looked very pretty with the camera and that was why the man from the band posed for you 😉

4. chef mimi 2015-10-13 at 14:54

Beautiful post. I love your black and whites, and of course the video. I have to say that I do celebrate life every day, although not necessarily by dancing!!!

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:56

Oh good! How do you do it? (give me tips). xx

1. chef mimi 2015-10-14 at 15:09

Honestly? I really had to work on it after a terrible childhood. I was so happy when it was over and I was on my own, and then I met my soul mate 35 years ago and we spend most of the time laughing. It’s sort of like learning how to drink those 8 glasses of water every day. You just make yourself do it and it becomes a wonderful habit!!! It’s also about perspective. My husband gets mad about the dumbest stuff, and that makes me laugh even harder!!!

1. Sofia 2015-10-14 at 23:14

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. But it’s great to know you are courageous and have learnt to be happy 🙂 I admire that, and I’m going to remember your words to apply it to myself… and to laugh at the dumbest stuff!! xx

5. Mitzie Mee 2015-10-13 at 22:42

The photos look really amazing. I want to go to a Spanish fiesta too! I celebrated new years eve in Marbella many many years ago. Not really a festival, but I loved how they decorated all the squares and the streets. I also remember some celebrations called ferias? Is it the same as festivals?

1. Sofia 2015-10-13 at 23:57

Oh ferias in Andalucia are great. Thats when they all came out in their flamenco costumes, dance flamenco etc. Is that what you got to go to? xx

6. annascuisine 2015-10-14 at 03:41

Beautiful B&W photos of such intimate celebration. Congratulations on your success in creating your first anime gif. 🙂 What program did you use to create a gif file?

1. Sofia 2015-10-14 at 23:20

Hey Anna I actually tried making a gif from a few weeks back. I tried a load gif websites and nothing worked. Then I read a load of photoshop tutorials that got me nowhere and just made me more confused. And then I found this site: http://gifmaker.me/ It was so simple to use and it worked. I was utterly amazed at how easy it turned out after a few weeks of stupidly failing at creating one!

1. annascuisine 2015-10-17 at 20:15

Hi, Sofia! Sorry for my delayed response. I hope you are having a fabulous weekend. Thank you for sharing the website. I will check it out. I wish you well. 😀

7. Dalo 2013 2015-10-17 at 15:11

These photos show so much life in them ~ the B&W work so well, captures the mood so well. And love the GIF, you are getting quite technical these days 🙂

1. Sofia 2015-10-20 at 21:47

Yes, I seem to get a kick out of becoming more and more technical! Have a great week!

1. Sofia 2015-10-20 at 21:48