Chicken Tofu Balls with Noodles

It is not absolutely compulsory to publish christmassy festive kinds of dishes during these dates, is it? Because this dish is not your typically festive dish. Nor is it non-typically festive either. It’s one of my last minute throw together nearly emergency type of food. Apart from slicing some cheese with Serrano ham that is.

Chicken-tofu-balls

Chicken-tofu-balls-with-noodles

Chicken Tofu Balls with Noodles Recipe

If you look close enough you’ll realise there are two types of noodles in this dish, a tagliatelle shaped rice rice noodle and a spaghetti shaped egg noodle. That’s just because I had a packet of rice noodles that was nearly finished so I threw them in along with the egg noodles. You can use any noodles you want.

Ingredients for the chicken tofu balls (for 2 servings)

350gr chicken breast, 150gr tofu, tapioca flour, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, salt, black pepper

Ingredients for the noodles

Noodles – enough for 2 servings

Ingredients for the sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil, juice of half a lemon, 2 tablespoons soya sauce, salt, black pepper, 1/2 handful fresh mint, 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grind the chicken in a food processor. Place into a large bowl. Mix with all the other ingredients. Shape into meatballs. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until they become a light golden colour.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil. Throw in the noodles. Boil for about 5 minutes. Drain the noodles.

In a small bowl, put in all of the ingredients for the sauce and mix.

Once the chicken tofu meatballs are ready, arrange the noodles in a bowl, place the meatballs on top and pour the sauce over everything.

Sorry, straight to the point grumpy me,… I wish you all had a Merry Christmas! I hope you all had some great quality time with your families and loved ones, and had some delicious festive foods too.

1. apuginthekitchen 2015-12-29 at 01:15

I think this dish is festive enough to qualify as holiday food, it sounds absolutely delicious. Tofu and chicken together in those little meatballs sounds really wonderful and I love Asian flavors and noodles, this is my kind of meal. I would love a bowl right now.

1. Sofia 2015-12-29 at 21:43

I’m still thinking about your festive black forest… 😉

2. Patty Nguyen 2015-12-29 at 04:28

Sofia, I’d feel plenty festive sharing a bowl of this with you! Looks delicious and healthy to boot! Great job!

1. Sofia 2015-12-29 at 21:42

Oh good, so we can eat something like this in festive dates no problem 🙂 xx

3. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2015-12-29 at 14:23

I really like non-traditional foods for ANY holiday! So this was very very very festive, in my book…and I bet it was delicious…Happy New Year 2016!

1. Sofia 2015-12-29 at 21:44

Oh great! I’m glad traditionally unfestive foods are ok then! Wishing you a great year ahead too Guillermina!

4. Mabel Kwong 2015-12-30 at 09:44

Two kinds of noodles in one bowl! To be honest, I really don’t like my noodles mixed…that is just me, I suppose. Just tastes weird to me eating two different kinds of noodles at once. That said, this dish looks delicious! I would eat the tofu balls any day 😀

1. Sofia 2016-01-14 at 19:41

I’ve unspammed you! 😀 Hehe I dont mind mixing noodles, or pasta (but not noodles and pasta together) when I have a few packets of different types that are nearly finished. I hope you’re well! xx

5. pianolearner 2015-12-30 at 13:09

I’ve never made anything with minced chicken before. I guess you could put chilli in too.

1. Sofia 2016-01-03 at 22:59

Really? Oh you should, I’m on a roll right now with mincing stuff and making burgers out of them… But you should give making chicken burgers a try.

6. Dorcas 2015-12-31 at 05:20

I would totally eat this on Christmas or any other day! Chicken meatballs, tofu, noodles. What could be more “festive” than that?

1. Sofia 2016-01-03 at 23:02

Maybe we can just consider anything delicous as festive?

7. Lily @ChloeAsh 2015-12-31 at 06:58

Oh I love meat tofu balls. Here, we have chicken and even fish tofu balls which taste delish! I make the noodles like you do too, but omit mint. Add scallions instead 🙂

1. Sofia 2016-01-03 at 23:04

Ah my mum makes fish balls and I should do so too (i’ve only done it once) because they’re great. I only added mint because I couldnt find scallions and I had mint 😛 so I agree with you, scallions instead! hehe

8. Lily 2016-01-01 at 23:24

Looks delicious, my kind of comfort food. Pinned for later and happy New Year to you and yours:)

1. Sofia 2016-01-03 at 23:04

Happy New Year Lily! Wishing you all the best for 2016. Thanks for pinning 🙂

9. laurasmess 2016-01-03 at 04:23

Yum. It’s been way too long since I’ve eaten any type of noodle dish, Aaron loves noodles so I’m a pretty bad wife in never cooking them (though he does buy instant mi goreng for lunch, he calls it ‘Mi Goreng Wednesday’! I guess he gets his own noodle fix in spite of me!!!). Love the two types of noodles, too – I thought that you had grated flaked coconut in there for a minute 🙂 I’ll definitely try these meat balls xx

1. Sofia 2016-01-03 at 23:06

I love it, Mi Goreng Wednesday! I’m sure you make up as a great wife with all your other dishes for goodness sake (anyone that reads your blog knows that, lol). Hey grated flaked coconut would be a great idea antually… xx

10. Mitzie Mee 2016-02-01 at 07:37

What a nice way to use tofu. I’ll try that next time I’m in need of an emergency dish:) What kind of tofu do you use? The firm or the soft one?

1. Sofia 2016-02-01 at 16:08

For “normal” cooking I prefer the firm one, but I find that for chicken burgers, soft tofu give a better chicken taste and juicy finish!